Author Topic: All X-Bows Should be Two Slots  (Read 15292 times)

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: All X-Bows Should be Two Slots
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 12:30:27 am »
Considering WPF mechanics and X-Bows inherently higher accuracy than other ranged types, as well as damage, I fail to see how a Wielding a crossbow, a stack of bolts, a poleaxe, all while in plate, is any better than the previous system.  Even if, with the new system, you're forced to use a crossbow instead of a heavy or an arbalest, it doesn't seem like anything has changed. Crossbows have the least investment needed out of all ranged and they have some of the best possible ranged damage. I think because of their low investment, which I'm not suggesting needs to be changed, they should all be two slots to help balance them with bows and throwing.

Currently battle servers have reverted to how they were before the most recent patches, that is, with all melee either bringing a pike or a crossbow along with their heavy two-handed/polearm weapons. The first minute or two of the battle is a camp fest where all the ranged just take pot shots at each other. Crossbows during this time become every bit as effective as bows are, but then late in the round, when the ranged are forced to enter melee, the crossbow guys pull out poleaxes and claymores while the bows have to pull out one handers. Not to mention Crossbowmen are much freer to use heavy armor than bowmen are.

Sure, lower tier bows like the Strongbow and Khergit are 1 slot so if they bring one stack of arrows they can do the same thing. The difference though, is that bows require far more of an investment to be good with. Spending skill points is mandatory for bows while not for crossbows. 120 wpf minimum(and this is being generous) is mandatory for bows while crossbows are perfectly fine at 80 wpf (And I know a couple of people who only get 50 wpf in crossbows). There is also a significant STR/PD difficulty difference(that I wouldn't suggest changing) between the two ranged types. You only need 10 str for the highest tier 1 slot xbow, but 12/15 for the 2nd highest/highest 1 slot bows.

I could go on, but I'm interested in seeing what other people think as well.
yup pretty much sumed it up, i been trying to nag people to see the truth about xbows but it seemed to fall on death ears  :|
good to know am not crazy and other people see how xbows rise above other classes

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 02:40:00 am »
Same but atleast my goal of -1000 awesome points profit from all the lobbyist here on the forums.

Btw i all ready made a thread trying to get the normal xbow to be 2 slots before everyone will replace their sniper for there rambo combo´s but dunno where it went might go bump it.... made it 1 day after the patch since i knew it would happen.....
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 06:38:57 am »
Crossbows have a special functionality because of their slow rate of fire,  and you're very vulnerable to archers because of it. I feel that the crossbowmen who want to go crossbow + bolts + one-hander + shield should be able to do so, at least up to the mid-tier crossbow, which is how it's now. You can get ranged protection as a crossbowman if you sacrifise damage. Seems fair to me.

When both shots kill, what sacrifice does a mathematical difference in damage make?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 06:45:53 am »
When both shots kill
...with precise headshots.

You forgot that part.

*However I should clarify that I fully support the thrower's tear filled cries to nerf x-bows.  Best thing about ranged fuckers is that you all bitch about each other being sooooo much better than yourselves all the time that archers/xbows/throwers are pretty much self-nerfing ranged into oblivion.  This I approve of whole-heartedly.  May ranged wheeze along on life support riddled with disease forever, because death is too good for it's sorry ass.*
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:51:05 am by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 06:52:53 am »
...with precise headshots.

You forgot that part.

We aren't talking about Goretooth or other plate users.

You forgot that part.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 07:11:27 am »
We aren't talking about Goretooth or other plate users.

You forgot that part.

Do the math.  An average player with average strength in average armor (read middle of the road in all areas mentioned here) does not die to a single x-bow steel bolt unless it's a headshot.  This has been proven time and time and time and time again.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 07:25:21 am »
How convenient that you always compare x-bow to archers, yet you want to compare higher class armor when it comes to damage. Very convenient.

X-bows 1 shot archers, whatever the type. Archers take 5-8 arrows to take down that plate wearing x-bow slinger and if you are getting too many hits? Well just bring up that shield and advance with a far better melee weapon than the pure archer can carry.

Let's keep apples to apples or you can stop comparing the x-bow directly with a bow for the rest of your arguments.

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 09:04:57 am »
I think the most reasonable change is to make xbows 4 slots.  This way when I'm on my 10 kill streak flailing my GLA wildly in a full set of plate armor some jerk won't go and ruin it by head shotting me because he'll have no ammo. 

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 09:39:09 am »
Lies Shablagoo! He will have 1 shot!
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 11:18:48 am »
X-bows 1 shot archers, whatever the type. Archers take 5-8 arrows to take down that plate wearing x-bow slinger and if you are getting too many hits? Well just bring up that shield and advance with a far better melee weapon than the pure archer can carry.

They do?  Someone should really impose this fact on mine own Arbalest.  Moody little contraption so it is.  The other day it failed to drop some silly wench at twenty yards, sporting a frilly dress and a shillaly.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:26:03 am by MadJackMcMad »
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 11:43:46 am »

You have never, ever, tried being a crossbowman!
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 10:37:12 pm »

You have never, ever, tried being a crossbowman!

1h/shield + xbow was easy mode for k/d ratio. Hold your aim forever, dismount cavalry, kill roof camping archers, 2 handers easily handled, and wear whatever armor you wanted to wear without worrying about your aim being screwed. Maybe you just aren't a good crossbowman.  :!:

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 10:47:06 pm »
Believe me, I'm not a bad crossbowman. I don't know where you play, but when my laptop is back, you'll probably see me a lot on EU 2 or 1.

Your comment failed, since you've misunderstood my comment. I laughed at your ridiculous comment, stating that any xbow will one-hit any archer, always. Read before replying next time.

Also, my archer has the same melee weapon as my crossbowman. If you have to grab the best bow as well as two stacks of arrows, you don't deserve a good melee weapon. It's all about priorization
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:51:27 pm by Gurnisson »
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 11:12:43 pm »
1h/shield + xbow was easy mode for k/d ratio. Hold your aim forever, dismount cavalry, kill roof camping archers, 2 handers easily handled, and wear whatever armor you wanted to wear without worrying about your aim being screwed. Maybe you just aren't a good crossbowman.  :!:

Don't forget the ability to shoot fireballs from your eyes, and balls of lightning from your arse.
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 02:31:18 am »
We're not talking about your hunting xbow, we're talking about shit that actually gets used. Unless you want to start basing all archer damage threads off the short bow  :rolleyes: