Poll

Awlpike+ other 2d vs Hoplite which do you fear?

EU- Awlpike+ other 2d
EU- Hoplites
NA- Awlpike+ other 2d
NA- Hoplites

Author Topic: Awlpikes and 2D vs Hoplite which do you fear more?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
Re: Awlpikes and 2D vs Hoplite which do you fear more?
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 11:23:40 am »
As an off and on hoplite I can safely say an awlpike is more effective in terms of directly killing+dmg done. The awlpike playstyle generally requires one to be solo or in a small group. Hoplites are more effective in a mildly organized clusterfuck and open up opponents to atks from allies through stunning and distraction with the shield rather than outright killing.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 12:41:53 pm »
Awlpike and other 2d weapons are by far the worst ones. Hoplite is bad, but its dooable. Fighting against 2d weapons is a complete and utter pain. Its not hard thou, its just annoying.

Offline woody

• Earl
  • Renown: 407
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Woody, Weebo, Wreky
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 01:19:40 pm »
I think Awlpike alone with the exception of bloody knitler I enjoy fighting. Sensible awlpiker plus a non retarded 2h is hideously difficult. Strat where you have 3 awlpikes and 2-3 2h working together means death unless you break the line with a charge by several of you.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 02:57:49 pm »
+1
The owwpike and long owwpike are both stabby rage factories.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline HardRice

• Marshall
  • Renown: 740
  • Infamy: 161
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 187/Alligator
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2013, 05:20:07 pm »
+2
Competent hoplites. As a 2d polearm user myself, hoplite get an extension on their ranged due to the animation (I think?) 

Plus they can just sit there and turtle while another one of their team comes up behind you.

(Rhalzo please stop being a hoplite, it hurts  :mad:)

Offline Sari

• Duke
  • Renown: 507
  • Infamy: 111
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2013, 10:04:29 pm »
I usually don't see awlpikes on NA or on strategus.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 10:41:21 pm »
I usually don't see awlpikes on NA or on strategus.

Havent played a single stratbattle in over 4 months now, but last time I played it, the awlpike was basically the obligatory weapon in almost every battle.

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2013, 01:20:24 am »
+3
As an often-time 2d polearm user and hoplite myself, I find hoplites in general a more effective counter to my playstyle. In a group they have a much better potential to screw you over without being easily dealt with due to their shield. You just can't pull the old "charge the pikeman to surprise attack him while he's thruststunned" thing on them. There don't seem to be as many exceedingly impressive hoplites around as there used to be, though.

When I'm using such weapons, I have found that in general the regular awlpike is the easiest weapon for me to get kills with out of any item in the game. Ever since the original turn-nerf the long awlpike (and now the newer weapons that function very similarly) hasn't had similar ease of use, even after the, uh, reparation weight-speed-turning change. They're still very good weapons, but they haven't got as good of team synergy as the long end of hoplite weapons (ashwood pike, light lance) or a long spear or pike, and people seem to know how to deal with them better than old inviso-tip.

The bamboo spear deserves special mention in that it has a great medium range and is an effective in-between of other higher damage 2d weapons and the pike-style weapons, but the lower damage makes it a lot less versatile than the others (the overhead has a penchant for glancing at the worst possible moment and as a hoplite weapon the combination of being almost too long and low damage makes landing effective hits a little more challenging).

Once you get used to the overhead hitboxes, the swiss halberd and especially the english bill are extremely effective group-fighting weapons. If you're capable of exploiting them, you can land hits that practically go through your teammates, which is definitely a boon in a group. Positioning is a lot more important when using them, however, and you'll get more botched attacks from people behind you and people (teammates, that is) moving left and right too much. When fighting against them, though, it seems like most people have not gotten ahold of using them very well. They're usually easier to see coming than down-attack oriented 2d polearms, too.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2013, 01:27:05 am »
Knitler told me to post these two screens and text for him:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

It's not about the weapon, but the player behind it.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Chasey

• Tournament Champion
  • Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Chase
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2013, 01:30:26 am »
why wouldn't he post that him self lol ? he's not muted
I like to fart on cold windows and lick the condensation :D

Offline Knitler

• Earl
  • Renown: 456
  • Infamy: 91
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Worlds Cutest Dictator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2013, 01:34:04 am »

Dont wanted to look hory or arrogant ... but Jarlek fucked it up anyway ... ^^
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2013, 01:35:32 am »
+3
He's a shy little boy with a tender soul who wanted me to post this for him so they would minus me instead of him.

Or it was some sort of code for gay sex.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2013, 01:36:23 am »
+4
Knitler told me to post these two screens and text for him:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

It's not about the weapon, but the player behind it.

no, it's definitely about the weapon. i'm sorry, knitler's not bad, but he's not that good that he gets those scores. abusing a combination of instantaneous, very highly damaging stabs, arcing long-lasting kicks, and full plate armour, does not a good player make.

EDIT: i mean for real, i'm 15/27 9 Weapon master in 1h, playing practically naked with a 99 speed 1h, and even with this massive weapon speed bonus (7 more speed) and the massive WPF bonus (~~ 70 more effective WPF), a leftswing from my weapon (which is much shorter and provides much less damage), can never even come close to outspeeding his awlpike. what's up with that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:40:52 am by Corsair831 »
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2013, 01:39:12 am »
+1
no, it's definitely about the weapon. i'm sorry but knitler's not bad, but he's not that good that he gets those scores. abusing a combination of instantaneous, very highly damaging stabs, arcing long-lasting kicks, and full plate armour, does not a good player make.
Not my words.

EDIT: Funny how falka minuses it, even when it's something I posted for someone else.

Wololo.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:44:44 am by Jarlek »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2013, 01:44:07 am »
+1
4,37 ratio as 2d polearm
10 ratio as hoplite

nerf hoplite
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.