Author Topic: Valour System x5  (Read 3876 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: Valour System x5
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2013, 02:15:09 am »
Even though you forget EU_5, Pecores, Nordmenn, melee server and other "special-private" servers, and that they were all completely filled in prime time (you even HAD to go to smaller servers since there was no open slots), you basically provide arguments against yourself.

The rest of your post provide absolutely 0 insight on the matter at hand, shitposting at its best better done in PM's.

(click to show/hide)
I don't recall what EU_5 used to have, know it was pretty much always empty when I joined though. When Pecores, Nordmen, or the melee only server ha people it was always just the EU4s on another server, and while you had to go to smaller servers that doesn't change the fact that the EU4 community had  barely shrinked before the server died, at which point most of us stopped playing, siege is alive and lives well into the  night, and besides GK (who everyone hated) the EU_1 playerbase isn't that smaller than before. You're overreacting and being retarded.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 01:48:42 pm »
+1
The EU4 community had  barely shrinked - the EU_1 playerbase isn't that smaller than before.

I wish there was a "player" statistics somewhere that I could refer to... Until then I can only tell you you are blind  :P
Anyway the "less players, so give us more fun" argument isnt the only reason why you would want to have more freedom to custom your characters (xp/upkeep/looms/respec/retire/etc..), I think it would add more incentive to play, and the valour system should be one of the many thing that keep the playerbase happy.

But like Teeth said, the Valour system is borked, it needs to be tweaked to something different. Valour to both teams OK, Valour averaged with the scores of both teams NOT OK.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2013, 02:00:26 pm »
I wish there was a "player" statistics somewhere that I could refer to... Until then I can only tell you you are blind  :P Yeah I'm blind, EU_1 wasn't on 59 players 11am this morning (note that with EU_1 I always state that one major group left, GK, who usually had 20-30 people on when the servers were full, but besides that, not much change) either (ofc there is always the possibility of you thinking I've played longer than I have, but otherwise, you're wrong.
Anyway the "less players, so give us more fun" argument isnt the only reason why you would want to have more freedom to custom your characters (xp/upkeep/looms/respec/retire/etc..), I think it would add more incentive to play, and the valour system should be one of the many thing that keep the playerbase happy. If it was up to me looms and xp and levels and gold would be removed, so don't claim I want to limit customization or that I love griding, your idea is simply a massive fuck you to anyone who bought training lessons, sold their looms for training lessons, retired or respeced at level 34-36, it'll also raise the average level and MWs used at once amount lowering the incentive for new people to stay even further (and yes, staying as a new player was probably harder back in old cRPG, but back then I'm also guessing there were generally more new people, who had new people fun together, and who could stand a chance against said new people, Warband is old, the amount of people who come is less now than it was two years ago, even if the amount of people who stay is slightly higher).

But like Teeth said, the Valour system is borked, it needs to be tweaked to something different. Valour to both teams OK, Valour averaged with the scores of both teams NOT OK. Valor should be averaged to both teams, otherwise it'd be to easy to get imo if you're a decent player on a shit team, however proximity should be nerfed, and people on the winning team shouldn't be able to get valor.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 07:14:54 am »
+2
I think the point of valour is supposed to be that you still get rewarded as a decent/good player if you end up stuck on a shit team...
So therefore it would make more sense separated by teams, not calculated from everyone on the server.

I could be wrong.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 07:54:16 am »
If you're on a team with 5 200 pings against a team with 3 200 pings and 3 40 pings (I've had this happen before several times) it shouldn't be guaranteed that I get valor if I hit one of their 200 pings, valor should reward doing great on a shit team, not doing average while everyone else on your team does shit.

Offline pine

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 04:52:33 am »
+2
the problem is that its not just the valour system that's messed up its the whole points system as well. I think that valour should be calculated seperately for both teams AND should be calculated purely by damage done and a small proximity bonus.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 05:02:29 am »
 ^yes. Proximity should be any damage dealer including ranged. If that can't be done, just remove it. (except for enemy tws). Whatever value your enemy has for banner balance or some other value system should also affect points acquired.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 05:27:26 am »
+3
Right now proximity bonus provides 2/3 points that were accumulated from the initial hit, to friendly players within 3m of the damaged opponent. Should probably change that to 1/4 and provide that same bonus to players within 5m or 6m of an archer/crossbowman that lands a hit on an opponent as well. Rather than having raw damage*.1 we'll probably have to change that to .2 or .3 as to make sure proximity bonus is still proving at least 1 point for decent hits. Finishing blows need to grant additional points on battle, as well as siege when near a flag. Defenders/attacks should probably get points passively for being around a flag, something small like 1 point every 15 seconds for defenders, and 1 point every 5 seconds for attackers, with an additional ~5 points for winning the round while being on the flag(attackers only).

Ignoring valour, what else about score should be adjusted?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 05:31:07 am by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 05:35:45 am »
Getting more points by purposely using a weak weapon seems on the strange side, but without valour points are useless anyway except for the epeenz.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 06:22:17 am »
Archers get really low points for hitting anything at long range. 1/4th of that to the piker next to him would be 0 points most of the time. I don't know if we can or should use score as an incentive to give protection for ranged anyway, but surely it won't work unless you actually get more points than that :wink:

On siege the whole point system should have a proximity bonus to the flag. That way people would actually fight on the flag on maps where it's needed. Maulers will still defend the wall because it's fun and gives kills, so it wouldn't be game breaking anyway.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 05:28:45 pm »
+1
Archers get really low points for hitting anything at long range. 1/4th of that to the piker next to him would be 0 points most of the time. I don't know if we can or should use score as an incentive to give protection for ranged anyway, but surely it won't work unless you actually get more points than that :wink:

On siege the whole point system should have a proximity bonus to the flag. That way people would actually fight on the flag on maps where it's needed. Maulers will still defend the wall because it's fun and gives kills, so it wouldn't be game breaking anyway.

Personally I think that just standing within the flag-cap region should give you X points per second as an attacker. This way when you are the only guy on your team who makes it to the flag, and has to fend off 3 defenders all alone, you can still get enough points for valor even though you aren't on the ladder-camping team. Also this provides an incentive to go for the ninja cap. As of now, if you team is doing shit, a ninja cap is a risky move... you can go for it, and pray that you succeed and win the round for your team, or you can hop into the fray and just valor whore, which is usually pretty easy.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 08:47:01 pm »
+1
Right now proximity bonus provides 2/3 points that were accumulated from the initial hit, to friendly players within 3m of the damaged opponent. Should probably change that to 1/4 and provide that same bonus to players within 5m or 6m of an archer/crossbowman that lands a hit on an opponent as well. Rather than having raw damage*.1 we'll probably have to change that to .2 or .3 as to make sure proximity bonus is still proving at least 1 point for decent hits. Finishing blows need to grant additional points on battle, as well as siege when near a flag. Defenders/attacks should probably get points passively for being around a flag, something small like 1 point every 15 seconds for defenders, and 1 point every 5 seconds for attackers, with an additional ~5 points for winning the round while being on the flag(attackers only).

Ignoring valour, what else about score should be adjusted?

Good start, but the whole multiplier+valour system needs to just go away, and instead give XP/gold proportional to points earned, with a large point bonus to the winning team each round (you could still award point bonuses for consecutive wins to emulate the multiplier system). With the tweaks above, a peasant could still earn plenty of points and contribute to the team just by defending the flag/protecting archer allies/etc.

Also, points should be a function of the level+gear value of the target. Right now, you get about the same points for one-shotting a peasant as beating a fully loomed lvl 35 hero. Alternatively, you could track the average points earned per round for each player, and assign their "point value" based on this metric; either approach would accomplish the same thing of rewarding players for damaging/killing high value targets.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:26:17 pm by Phew »

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2013, 07:32:57 am »
I agree that there should be a way of making high value targets actually give you a high value of points back when you kill them.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2013, 02:38:47 pm »
+1
I agree that there should be a way of making high value targets actually give you a high value of points back when you kill them.

Since every high level player isn't necessarily better than a common level 30 player, you can't base points off of someone's level. I would guess the best way to go about doing this is that the amount of points you get per kill (or per hit, I guess) is some percent of what your victim's current score is. Of course during the earlier rounds when everyone has low score, this isn't as effective, so perhaps once someone gets over 50 score or something like that, this could go into effect. Really just whenever you would start getting more score than the current system.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador