Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 10107 times)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2013, 08:55:31 pm »
+2
Well my old trusty Mazda has done almost 370k kilometers :D. ~150k km of which I've driven myself and it has never let me down, not once. I'd call that good for a small petrol engine already but I know it can do well over 400k maybe closer to 500k if the chassis doesn't rust too badly before that.

So what I've done to the engine is changed oils, plugs, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and fixed some leaking air intake housing just recently. Just maintenance parts basically.

Other things I've done to the car is I had to change one ball joint on the front, change exhaust suppressor, installed new break disks and pads, changed break fluids and did some try hard welding on the chassis. Not a catastrophic list if you know something about cars :rolleyes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2013, 10:00:05 pm »
+5
your car should run practically forever with proper maintenance, of course things will get old, rubber begins to erode, and metal rusts.  But as long as you keep on top of it, it will run and run.  Im sure someone has seen the report about the old lady who seen dinosaurs and rides one still to this day, with her lifetime warranty of course.

(click to show/hide)

A woman and her "Chariot".
(click to show/hide)

Fuckin lol, i just watched that video again, fuckin 95, still packing heat, and dissing her 3 dead husbands over a car, this fuckin lady is great!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:05:05 pm by AntiBlitz »

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2013, 12:39:39 am »
+1
Well there comes a point when it doesn't make sense to keep "on top of things" with a car anymore. Shouldn't get too attached to a car that's giving you and your wallet a hard time.

A big malfunction in the engine can happen even if it was taken care of properly. Replacing some parts of a modernish car can be difficult or downright impossible to a point where the cost for fixing it goes up just too high. I know I have to do some welding if I want my car to have plates next year. No doubt about it. Just have to see if I can fix it or let the car go. You can weld a properly old car more easily because it's made of thicker steel but a car like mine it sucks. It's like welding paper... Guess I just have to practice welding more before I get to it :rolleyes:

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2013, 02:26:53 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

"...a speed demon... "it aint a toy"... Who packs heat!..."

That made me laugh, that granny is fucking awesome.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2013, 03:11:25 am »
+1
Lifetime warranty ftw. 17 batteries replaced.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2013, 03:24:03 am »
+4
Well there comes a point when it doesn't make sense to keep "on top of things" with a car anymore. Shouldn't get too attached to a car that's giving you and your wallet a hard time.

A big malfunction in the engine can happen even if it was taken care of properly. Replacing some parts of a modernish car can be difficult or downright impossible to a point where the cost for fixing it goes up just too high. I know I have to do some welding if I want my car to have plates next year. No doubt about it. Just have to see if I can fix it or let the car go. You can weld a properly old car more easily because it's made of thicker steel but a car like mine it sucks. It's like welding paper... Guess I just have to practice welding more before I get to it :rolleyes:

Do they not have junkyards in Europe?  You can find car parts for like $15 dollars, you can buy alternators, radiators, whole engines, blocks, wheels, doors, the list goes on for cheap, like around 90% of the normal price.  A new alternator i had blown cost me $120 dollars in a Honda Civic, i found one for $15 shortly after in a junkyard....sigh, oh well.

on a side note, i actually sell car parts on a car forum, and still do have some parts, kind of a good way to give back to people who want them and have the same car, as ill not ever need them again.  (please go stalk me lol, i use the same user name)

(click to show/hide)
Doing work on your car sucks, especially if you dont know what you are doing, like i did, or still do some of the times, but when you do it, its free.  Buy a pack of beer and recruit a friend to join you in your shitty endeavors, thats how half the work was done on my ride lol.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2013, 04:34:42 am »
+2
There are probably junkyards in Europe (although not around where I live), but we generally don't have the spare land to park thousands of dead cars upon.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Hoppster

• Count
  • Renown: 210
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Billy_Bad_Ass
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2013, 06:59:31 am »
+2
we have junk yards in england, but there never that big, cars stacked up 3 or 4 high though. general rule is, if u can get to the part u want and remove it yourself, then u can have it really cheap

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2013, 02:11:54 pm »
+2
Do they not have junkyards in Europe?  You can find car parts for like $15 dollars, you can buy alternators, radiators, whole engines, blocks, wheels, doors, the list goes on for cheap, like around 90% of the normal price.  A new alternator i had blown cost me $120 dollars in a Honda Civic, i found one for $15 shortly after in a junkyard....sigh, oh well.

on a side note, i actually sell car parts on a car forum, and still do have some parts, kind of a good way to give back to people who want them and have the same car, as ill not ever need them again.  (please go stalk me lol, i use the same user name)

(click to show/hide)
Doing work on your car sucks, especially if you dont know what you are doing, like i did, or still do some of the times, but when you do it, its free.  Buy a pack of beer and recruit a friend to join you in your shitty endeavors, thats how half the work was done on my ride lol.

I don't think we have junkyards that big in Finland and that's the problem. Junkyard has to be quite big and have a lots of stuff in it. Most of the time they just take usable parts out of the car, put them on sale with quite high price and crush the rest of it. I would prefer junkyards where I could go and take some parts out of scrap cars myself and pay less because I did the work taking the part out. That's just not the way it's usually done here.

Aaand junkyards don't help you if your chassis is being eaten by rust. Just demands mending skills :D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:16:24 pm by Son Of Odin »

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2013, 07:58:26 pm »
+3
I don't think we have junkyards that big in Finland and that's the problem. Junkyard has to be quite big and have a lots of stuff in it. Most of the time they just take usable parts out of the car, put them on sale with quite high price and crush the rest of it. I would prefer junkyards where I could go and take some parts out of scrap cars myself and pay less because I did the work taking the part out. That's just not the way it's usually done here.

Aaand junkyards don't help you if your chassis is being eaten by rust. Just demands mending skills :D

We have a Junkyard called "Crazy Ray's", they have over 8,000 cars, with 5 junkyards all over the damn place.  They keep playing commercials as of late, advertising you coming to pick their junkyard clean cuz everything is cheap.  Its one of those yards where you come and do all the work yourself, and they pay a flat rate for whatever the part is, so like $50 for a door, any door, or $15 for any alternator.  Its a pretty nice place, for a junkyard anyways.  They post on facebook the news cars coming in, and where they will be located.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crazy-Rays-Auto-Parts/130840818155

as for the body work, well you could replace it with sheet metal, either rivet it and putty it, or weld it.  I've never done it, but like i said, a pack of beer, and a friend who can weld will get u a long ways.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2013, 05:15:54 am »
+1
Don´t know what kind of reputation Mazda has, but my "lady" has never let me down so far (+150k km)

My last car was bought with 150k+ miles on it and lasted 4 years and ~30k miles, still ran fine when I sold it. My current car was also bought at 150k+ miles. Buick Century to Buick Lesabre, they're very similar and I have no doubt that the engine will last until the frame is rusted out and I move on to another car.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2013, 06:02:57 pm »
+1
we have junk yards in england, but there never that big, cars stacked up 3 or 4 high though. general rule is, if u can get to the part u want and remove it yourself, then u can have it really cheap

That's a pretty average sized junk yard in the states. You can almost always find the part for whatever vehicle you are working on.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2013, 07:48:34 pm »
+2
Nothing beats cycling in 60-70 degree weather under the glow of orange streetlights, fireflies, and crackling thunderclouds in the distance.  8-)  :mrgreen:  8-)

I read this and forgot you are NA for a moment, it was strange picturing someone cycling under such temperatures.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2013, 08:46:31 pm »
+1
I read this and forgot you are NA for a moment, it was strange picturing someone cycling under such temperatures.

:lol:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Life

• Marshall
  • Renown: 763
  • Infamy: 281
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mod is dead.
  • Game nicks: Assassin_Life, Efil, iK_Life
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2013, 03:04:55 am »
+1
oh, how i love Ken Block.