Poll

Would you like to see this implemented?

Yes, a commander system is worth a try.
158 (79%)
No
42 (21%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Commander Chat for cRPG - Poll inside.  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
Commander Chat for cRPG - Poll inside.
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:56:25 pm »
+47
Ok, Paul would like to see if the playerbase is up for something like this. If 80% are for it, it increases the chances of it actually getting implemented.

Here is the idea:

COMMANDER CHAT

Visually would look like this:
(click to show/hide)
A. Give the person with the highest Team Win:Loss ratio (Not K:D ratios) on each team a special Leadership coloured team-chat. (Like, purple or bright green, similar to adminchat) The commander is decided at the beginning of a map.     (This is a score you get when your team wins a round. It reflects how good you are to help your team win)

B. With this he can issue commands with admin coloured text, and the players would be free to follow them or not. In the worst case, people will just ignore it.

C. If his leadership gives results, aka more wins than losses, his W:L ratio will naturally improve (as well as all players on the team), and his chance of staying commander gets better. If he is a bad commander with bad results, either because the team follows him or not, or simply bad commanding or tactical ideas, his score will drop, and someone else will quickly take his spot.

D. Being a commander is optional. Tick a box on the website if you wish to participate.

E. Leaving the game while commanding should result in a double loss to the commanders W:L ratio. (To prevent commanders leaving bad teams)

F. A commander should be able to give away command at the beginning of each round to the next on the list. The result of the round will affect both commanders score. (To give newbie commanders a chance, while still keeping the original commander responsible.)

G. The commander may leave during the first 15 seconds of a new map without hurting his score. (If you want to command, the price is responsibility for the team throughout the map)

H. Who is commanding what team is proclaimed in server message near the beginning of each map and round.

Possible consequences of the idea:

* We might see more organized teamplay like in the old days again. :)    (aka, charges work if done right. I've seen it many times wiping teams back in the day)
* People who aspire to become commanders, would focus on making their team win to improve their ratio, not their individual K:D ratios.
* People who would want to become commanders would most likely want to be popular. As they want people to listen to them.
* Assholes who wants to be commanders will not be listened to, therefore will not have a good commander score (W:L ratio). Asshole commanders will not exist in this system.
* This will idea will let commanders build real credibility supported by numbers. You can question him/her all you want but if he is commandeering, he has the best W:L ratio of your team.
* You could probably check your W:L ratio on the website, and get a clear idea if you help your team win or not.
* Most likely, popular clan players who help their team win will become the first commanders. But c-rpg have low enough population for anyone to be able to get their shot at
commanding. *If they are not for some reason hated or totally unknown among the majority.
* Commander heroes/stars might begin to appear if there will be trusted and smart players out there. These might boost morale, and create more an more complex tactics, as players
become more and more likely to follow them.
* Players might start to accept more complex commands once they have seen effective commanding in practice.
* Players might start to protect the commander, or attack enemy commander if he is especially dangerous.
* cRPG may change. To what, I think no one knows, but I think it would be better. The players that just wants to solo and decide what is best themselves will continue to do so without punishment.
* If it sucks, we can remove the whole system.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:38:38 pm by Thomek »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Thorondor

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Turks
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Beleg
Re: Commander Chat for cRPG - Poll inside.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:58:44 pm »
+5
totally worth a try

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:05:15 am »
+3
If we want teamwork through chat we are going to need in-game voice me thinks, takes way too long to type out commands etc.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:05:34 am »
+1
A. Give the person with the highest Team Win:Loss ratio (Not K:D ratios) on each team a special Leadership coloured team-chat.
First allow us to see our own win/loss ratios, goddammit!
Should've read the whole post before posting...
PS: nice suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:08:52 am by Macropus »

Offline Wiltzu

• Sceptical
  • Duke
  • Renown: 665
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarin_Wiltzu
  • IRC nick: Wiltzu
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:07:49 am »
When in Rome, live as the Romans do; when elsewhere, live as they live elsewhere.

Kaikki on tasa-arvoisia. Toiset on vain tasa-arvoisempia kuin toiset.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 12:10:21 am »
+1
@Gravoth
Sure, would be cool, but this here is possible right now. Talking is out of the question to implement technically, unless someone would find a way to program voice software to work with c-rpg..  Commanders would just have to work around it, find a way to communicate. That will definitely be a very important part of their skillset. It's not impossible, Phaz, me and others have done it, but it requires players to get used to it.

@Macro
Once they start tracking those ratios, I'm sure its not a problem to implement.

@Wiltzu
?

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 12:15:58 am »
+5
I think this would be nice, a little late but nice. Though I must say that I've managed to make a team on a losing streak win, by a simple 'FOLLOW BATTALION 1 FOR VICTORY' in team chat. The bulk of the team usually reacts and follows me to fight the enemy team head on. It is surprisingly effective, so I can only recommend to others that are frustrated by a losing spree, try some simple commanding. Just some sense of direction gives your team a much better shot.

The fact that people are responsive to basic commanding like that, should bode well for the usefulness of the OP's system.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 12:16:06 am »
+3
As long as there is banner balance the commander will always be someone from byzstacktium or some other gigantic clan, making some people feel even more entitled to be internet generals is a bad idea, teamwork will happen already when a large enough majority of your team gives a fuck, and I've seen far better teamwork than "camp X" on low pop (40 or less) servers between people who don't all know eachother and aren't on teamspeak. Commanding with the Q menu and team chat is already as effective as commanding is gonna be for people who aren't on teamspeak. Advanced commands and reactions that go above "Camp X" or "don't charge x" will also take to long to type, leaving us again with our Q menu, whose commands presumably won't have magic colors, and therefore won't magically be payed attention to.

(I'll vote yes if you agree to make the text color orange)

And Thomek, sure devs can always remove it if it sucks, but our devs don't exactly have eternities of time to dedicate to cRPG, and there is plenty of unfinished shit like the conquest mode, implementing camels, and nudging for them to work on if they have time.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 12:20:58 am »
+1
@Zlisch A large enough majority of the team will only give a fuck when they have a commander that they like. (and trust)

Clan stackers will anyway be offset by autobalance to some degree as they all have good scores and gears.

Q menu is used for spam, and useless for commanding.

(Also, this feature doesn't require that much coding and dev time.. Paul might be willing to do it if its popular enough.)

I agree to make it organge, now vote yes.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:50:13 am by Thomek »

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 12:23:07 am »
+3
I'm always up for new features, and this is something that could really improve the overall game play experience. +1.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 12:24:48 am »
+1
A large enough majority of the team will only give a fuck when they have a commander that they like. (and trust)

Clan stackers will anyway be offset by autobalance to some degree as they all have good scores and gears.

Q menu is used for spam, and useless for commanding.
If there is a player a large majority of a team knows and trusts he can already command just fine, issue is it is quite rare that a large majority of a team gives a fuck about teamwork.

Clan stackers will still have far greater average multis than regular people.

You got no idea what you're talking about, sure it is used by spam, but it can be used for commanding, just requires knowing a few commands, and it is WAY faster than typing.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 12:33:10 am »
+8
Why not just implement the old xp/gold system with a few tweaks here n there, then you will see people sticking together again :) The current system is not helping  :mrgreen:

Your idea would have to rely on people wanting to do teamwork, we both know 50% would still run around like headless chickens disregarding the commander  :rolleyes:

PS: Not saying your idea sucks, but just that your guaranteed to see a shitload of more teamwork, with the old xp/gold system. Being solo hero in the old system would get you broke  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:43:04 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 12:47:16 am »
+3
Why not just implement the old xp/gold system with a few tweaks here n there, then you will see people sticking together again :) The current system is not helping  :mrgreen:

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 01:06:44 am »
+1
If we want teamwork through chat we are going to need in-game voice me thinks, takes way too long to type out commands etc.

With a capabable commander he should be the only one talking (about movement) and everyone should bebfollow his directions cause he knows what he does.
The only thing we'd need voices for would be warning left right archer left right cavalry left right etc etc which if im right we already have. What is otherwise the point of having the chat at all, if everyones gonna blurt directions through eachother. Just yes no would do essentially for answering orders are understood and how many as commander are with you followingyour directions. The system could be quite elaborate say you could make a "party chat" with teammates which the commander could select and send a message to you and your party only, clans would be operating as ever BUT be overal guided by the commander.
instead of having several lone wolf packs you would have one big wolf pack who is coordinated by the big wolf, and would be capeable of all kinds of moves and strategys, if theyd work together they could achieve alot. Also party chats would have their own commander their orders only showing their party members.
When the commander dies his rank is moved to say commander part 2,3 etc.
All players not in a party wold automaticly be assigned to the commanders party. The commander could possibly see all commanders as dots onthe map, maybe make it so ha you need atleast 5 men plus yourself to make a party, otherwise thered just be massibe dots everywhere.
Request to join a party, maybe have the party commander get the F1/2 pop up just like bans, accept/decline.
Ofcourse people are not likely to follow the lead exactly but the commanders job would to be stearing the groups of fighters in the right position.
Its just that the commands as commander should be fluid and quick to operate, infantry can warn their buddies with the things we currently have, most likely the commander being elected he'd be a good player so their will be enough infantry around him to keep him off the grid for enemies. All he needs is his guide commands no ten thousand options for cav in the back/right/ left etc simple and easy to operate. Lone wolfs should be able to switch it off, so you dont always have to see the commands that are given and canjust play relaxed foingyour own thing.

Wot...
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 01:18:26 am »
+3
What Teeth said, there's flags. Not as if the commander would give more complicated orders than "stay" "charge" or "follow me" ^^