Poll

Are more frequent small change patches better than long awaited (~5 months) big patches?

Yes
44 (77.2%)
No
13 (22.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Frequent small change patch> rare massive change patch  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
Frequent small change patch> rare massive change patch
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:08:50 pm »
I've voiced this issue to many people on NA, but all the devs are in EU.

You ever play starcraft 2? Ever wonder why Starcraft 2 is heralded for its great balance? Its because they gradually make small changes in their patches until they fine-tune the balance just right.

The way c-RPG has been developing, the balance is set between two extremes: Max volume and mute. Often times you will have two good ideas to balance a class or weapon be implemented, but since you implemented them both, its overkill.

Release a patch a month, and make small changes each patch. For instance, a single patch changing the slot system so that 2h and polearms now require 2 slots would have been fine. Next month implement DTV by itself. Patch after that, change throwing by reducing ammo.  After that, continue to make changes until things are well balanced.

Stop with the overkill; regular small changes are better than a rare giant patch.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:46:05 pm by Seawied »
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Topsnus

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Frequent small change patch> rare masive change patch
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »
Who are you to tell him how to make his own mod?

I guarantee you he has a reason for the way he patches. Whether it is because he wants to keep the servers more or less on the same version, or if it is simply because it is easier for him, he has a reason for patching the way he does. This thread is useless.

Offline Lorenzo

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_SaifaQc
  • IRC nick: Lorenzo
Re: Frequent small change patch> rare masive change patch
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:14:03 pm »
Patching in a way to get to a funnyer and more balanced gameplay overall is always good.

Game balance is a really tricky thing imo. There is no such thing as an absolute balance and even if the balance was perfect, some one would find a way to whine and/or abuse.

I think that frequent adjustment is a really good thing in a game like starcraft because only the player has to adapt to the changes that are made by the devs.

But to be able to adapt to the changes in cRPG, the player need to play for a certain time (get to the retirement) and only then, he will be able to ajust his play style/build according to the new changes.

In a game like cRPG, I think a good way to implement the balance changes could be something like :

1. Announcing the balance changes that will be implemented in a future patch
2. Let the players some time to ajust and prepare for those changes (a week or 2)
3. Release the changes

I can see why so many people seems to see all changes or balances like a bad thing or a set back : it messes up they'r game plan.
If your working toward something and this thing changes mid-way, it has a great chance to be disapointing.

...Anyway, I like this mod and I like where it is going. I only think that if we would be given some time or some sort of knowledge of what is to come, the general happyness would be greater.

I really like the fact that the community has to discover the new things the dev team adds to this game but in therm of ballance, I think that some tips would be apreciated.

So : Patch as often as needed but a different way to do it would be apreciated.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Frequent small change patch> rare massive change patch
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:58:07 pm »
OP has good ideas/advice, but the devs cant even write their own changelog.  What  makes you think they can plan updates like professionals?

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:11:19 am »
OP has good ideas/advice, but the devs cant even write their own changelog.  What  makes you think they can plan updates like professionals?

fair enough argument.

I think part of the problem is that they build up so much that a changelog becomes a daunting task.

A changelog is needed. It would stop a lot of the baseless whinning that goes on. The more transparency the community has, the less headaches and drama that the devs will have to deal with.

It wouldn't take much, just organization.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:15:01 am »
A changelog is needed. It would stop a lot of the baseless whinning that goes on.

Yeah, right after it cures cancer.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 06:17:49 am »
If the log was comprehensive, and people learned to trust it, it certainly would cut back on a LOT of the speculation. Part of the reason that so much groundless posts are made is because anything and everything is subject to change... especially with the way chadz distributes tiny fractions of the whole story in each change.

PR 101: Speculation= bad for you. It causes a very misinformed public, and unnecessary drama.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 06:27:19 am »
Most of the whine comes from one's weapon being nerfed, not because the changes aren't documented or because of speculation.

Dev 101: never trust PRs - lots of talking, not much doing.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 06:54:42 am »
Dev 101: never trust PRs - lots of talking, not much doing.

spend one day working at a PR firm and you'll disagree.

Offline Secret Agent Cow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Gorath's Battle Buddy and noble squire.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Secret_Agent_Cow
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 07:59:13 am »
I am pretty sure Devs do not make mods purely because they want the public to worship them. Maybe they want to make the game more suitable to their vision of a game and want other to play it rather than just have the name of GAAARRR NUMBER ONE GAME EVER LOOK HOW MANY PEOPLE KNOW US? Not that I can speak for the developers of course.

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »
Patches prolly come in batches cause chadz and most of the other devs are in school. So, long periods focuing on schoolwork, summer hit, patch comes.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 01:37:02 pm »
Releasing changes in big patches sometimes is mandatory (related balance issues, like, say, nerfing shields and nerfing range at the same time to counter the first shield nerf). And usually is way easier for everyone. Not better, but easier. Easier for devs that don't have to clean up their mess so often (less release versions means less work for the same amount of features). Easier for server admins that don't have to be allways there ready for new patches. Easier for players that know that usually, they can start developping the char of their choice after the last hotfix patch of a path batch, instead of being "forced" to change often.