Author Topic: 4 easy fixes to make cRPG better.  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
4 easy fixes to make cRPG better.
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:41:56 am »
+16
Ok, so I've thought up 4 things that should be easy/quick to implement that I think would make c-rpg even better. Most of them have been mentioned at some point, but I would like to remind the devs about it, and hear you opinions. :)

1. LEADERSHIP CHAT

Give the person with the highest Win:Loss ratio on each team a special Leadership coloured team-chat. (Like, purple or bright green)
With this he can issue commands, and the players would be free to follow them or not. One can argue that players would refuse to follow etc, but I think this would only be true in the beginning. Once a commander has developed trust with the players and an outstanding W:L ratio people will start following him. If they will not follow a commander, his W:L ratio will naturally worsen and another one will be no.1

Of course, players that can "carry teams alone" will have an advantage, but I think it's ok if the commander is also a hero! Over the long run though, autobalance will take care of his W:L ratio, and only his commands will be there to shift the balance back. (A cool additional feature would be that the commander could give away command to the next on the list if he has to go etc. )

Reason:
I do believe we can have tactical battles like in the old days when there was proximity based XP. Often one could see the effectiveness of charges and interesting teamplay going on. I think this would also lead to an awareness of teamplay among the players that we haven't seen much of yet.

How?:
Start to track the win loss ratio's of all players, the only true measure of their battlefield effectiveness and teamwork. Each MAP nominate the leaders of both teams after 10 seconds of the first round. *Would be awesome if it was a full screen message to both teams. Players should be able to tick a box on the website if they would like to be leaders.

To me this doesn't look like a lot of work for a dev, and could be worth testing in c-RPG before M:BG anyway. Ozin? you busy? :)

2. REMOVE HX
One can ask a moral question here: Do the class substract or add to the overall "Fun For Most" of cRPG?  I think HX leads to most fun for the HX, and is generally too detrimental to other classes. He also doesn't fill a vital need on the battlefield that can't be replaced by HA, which is a more active class with higher shots per minute, lower accuracy and lower damage, though probably higher dps. Point is, the HA needs to sacrifice more than the HX in terms of points and armor.

In general, I think most players agree they are lame. Lame to fight and lame to die from. They also seem a bit lame to play, but what do I know. Not everyone likes to melee.. Overall I think they are detrimental to c-rpg, as well as OP.

HX battle features:
(click to show/hide)

How?
Simple, remove reloading of crossbows on horse in the weapon attributes.

3. GIVE RANGED FULL POINTS FOR HITS
Lately I've seen ranged with staggering K:D ratios but low points. I think a buff to their points would do two things: 1. Give them valour, 2. show everyone a more accurate estimation of their effectiveness on the leaderboards. I think archer-hits do slightly more damage per hit than melee strikes in most cases, so why not give them full points for it?

How?
I'm sure devs knows how to do this! :) probably just a parameter somewhere and thus a 3 minute job.

4. INCREASE CROSSBOW WEIGHT
Skilled crossbowmen already drop their ranged weapons for melee. I think this is a reasonable tradeoff for their ranged abilities. They can always pick them up again. Besides, many bows are already heavier than xbows, something which doesn't make any sense realistically.. (If that's an argument) I also think it fits nicely thematically, what crossbowman would fight with his heavy crossbow on his back?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:15:41 pm by Thomek »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
Re: 4 easy fixes to make cRPG better.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:44:17 am »
+3
I seriously burst into laughter at the "REMOVE HX" part. :lol:
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:48:21 am »
+6
Remove HX :evil:

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:07:03 am »
+4
No nerf to horse speed or manouver? Not even heavy lance nerf?! Thomek you gone soft!

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:26:06 am »
+2
Well, the ranged True Points, will make it clear to everyone that they are OP, so they will get nerfed back, the we will have a cav surge, and THEN, ONLY THEN! my friend, will cav be nerfed. Give or take 2 years. :D

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 04:40:07 am »
+1
+ Add higher STR requirement for Plate armours.

(Edit: I'd like to see this bumped from 16 to at least 18)
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Hoppster

• Count
  • Renown: 210
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Billy_Bad_Ass
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 04:51:19 am »
1- not too sure about weather or not this would work, great in theory but what if the person doesnt want to do it? pass it on to next one?

2- Excellent idea, remove it now, ill be so happy :D adds nothing to the game, never played it, probably never will. free respecs to HX players though

3- the points for archery are silly, it's impossible to top the board just shooting, even if u kill half the server every round.

4- seems legit, weights are abit crazy anyway, not much realism there, i mean a stack of arrows weighs 2.5 flamberges

But u already made cRPG a hundred times better by banning jarlek again :D
(click to show/hide)

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 05:32:39 am »
+7
make a siege ladder only server
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 07:51:19 am »
+20
5. Remove Katana
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 08:14:47 am »
+4
The person with the best k:d or score is not always the best leader and certainly not in siege where this often is the guy that sullied out to the front while leaving the flag alone, to be taken a minute later.

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 08:23:02 am »
+2
The OP says win:loss ratio, not k:d.

I guess it's possible to be bad and win a lot if you get put on good teams all the time though.

I'd like to add

Reduce repair chance when server does not have enough players for multis.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 09:26:33 am »
+1
the we will have a cav surge

In the current sorry state of horses, riding skill and cav weapons, that's not going to happen.

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 09:49:38 am »

Lately I've seen ranged with staggering K:D ratios but low points. I think a buff to their points would do two things: 1. Give them valour, 2. show everyone a more accurate estimation of their effectiveness on the leaderboards. I think archer-hits do slightly more damage per hit than melee strikes in most cases, so why not give them full points for it?

oh god no, 40 + chances of getting 3-5 points, would mean a potential of 200 points every round, would mean archer valour every round
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 09:55:51 am »
By the way afaik the system works exactly the same for archers. It's just that arrows do the damage of intercontinental ballistic missiles and that's not how you valor whore.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 11:08:05 am »
+2
1. LEADERSHIP CHAT

Might be useful sometimes.

2. REMOVE HX

No. Definately not. Have you ever played as HX ? It's actually not as easy as you might think.

Horses and their riders are an easier target for throwers and archers than Infantry - bcus they're moving less dynamically.

Tho, i kind of can agree to the "no reloads on Horseback" part... I was always wondering how that's even possible :). At least in real life it wasn't.

But if the devs choose fun & diversity over realism here, i think its fine.

I actually really like HX Players. Think of Hate - he hardly delays any round, playing quite a risky style.

There are others tho, trying to survive as long as possible, avoiding fights - but the problem here is not the class they're playing but the player himself (and for that we've got admins like you right? :) )

Why should someone get valor for fighting on long distances?

They can attack without any threats to their weak bodies, if they know what they're doing and if they're keeping their distance.

Tho if a melee dude is in the middle of 3 enemies attacking him, killing them all - i think he'd rather deserves the valor.

(low risk - low reward / high risk - big reward) i think thats a good system)

4. INCREASE CROSSBOW WEIGHT
100 % agreed
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)