Author Topic: How to fight crime.  (Read 7452 times)

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
Re: How to fight crime.
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2013, 08:35:03 pm »
+3
As soon as you start playing desperados and threatening innocent people's lives, your life is forfeit.

I don't believe in god nor do i believe in what the bible says. Tho i've read it. And i don't think that quote is about "don't draw your sword or you're gonna die" - this quote is about that every act of violence will create more violence.

Cus even if you draw the sword on someone who drew it on you, YOU ARE DRAWING THE DAMN THING TOO.

It's a never-ending circle of violence, started by violence - ending in violence.

It's about NOT drawing the sword - instead of killing everyone who draws it.

But keep on thinking what you want to think, blockheads. I think the world would be a better place without those who fight violence with violence.
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2013, 08:35:17 pm »
+2
The robber started the game. So he set up the rules. By pointing the gun at someones face to get his belongings he states that he values the bike over a live.
The cop plays along these rules and values the robbers live less than the stolen bike and consequenly shoots.
As much as I dislike guns I have to say that this was a fair action.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2013, 08:47:43 pm »
I don't believe in god nor do i believe in what the bible says. Tho i've read it. And i don't think that quote is about "don't draw your sword or you're gonna die" - this quote is about that every act of violence will create more violence.

Cus even if you draw the sword on someone who drew it on you, YOU ARE DRAWING THE DAMN THING TOO.

It's a never-ending circle of violence, started by violence - ending in violence.

It's about NOT drawing the sword - instead of killing everyone who draws it.

But keep on thinking what you want to think, blockheads. I think the world would be a better place without those who fight violence with violence.

Ugh, during the vast majority of human history those who wouldn't fight violence with violence just didn't survive, or were absorbed/conquered/enslaved by violence. History didn't start during the Cold War. Humans didn't become this way out of random chance. I am loathe to make appeals to nature, but I will anyways. It's because it was an addaptive trait until very, very recently. On the scope of evolutionary change there is so little biological difference between humans now and humans tens of thousands of years ago that it is insignificant, much less a measly couple of hundreds of years. For a lot of the world that wasn't and still isn't covered by MADD nuclear umbrellas, it is still a way of life.
I know a lot of people have an inordinate faith in the power of sociological manipulation, but the truth is civilization and all it's attendant traits (such as the high minded morals you display) are nothing more than thin veneer. When it comes down to it everyone has the potential to turn into a monster given the "right" circumstances. There is a saying I like that illustrutes this, that "civilization is two meals and twenty-four hours away from barbarism".
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:51:00 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2013, 09:00:33 pm »
+2
Police rounds gunshot wounds are far from being always lethal with our modern medicine. But I don't get why the cop fired two shots instead of one.

He fired two because the other guy had a gun and he couldn't know if it was a real one or not. I'm pretty sure multiple shots is the common drill to be certain that the other guy is neutralized. When using a handgun round you just can't be certain with a single shot, especially if the target is on drugs.

Armed robbery with a firearm gets you killed. When you decide to use a gun you have to expect to get shot dead by the police. If you want a leg shot use a knife or a club. You are fucked either way in the US though cause they cannot into proportionality.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2013, 09:04:58 pm »
I know in some US jurisdictions (the territory is so vast and varried when it comes to law and police officers, even within same state lines, that you can't really make any big generalizations) they would have pumped this guy with at least a full clip.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2013, 09:25:00 pm »
The robber started the game. So he set up the rules. By pointing the gun at someones face to get his belongings he states that he values the bike over a live.
The cop plays along these rules and values the robbers live less than the stolen bike and consequenly shoots.
As much as I dislike guns I have to say that this was a fair action.

If the cop wasn't about to interfere, the robber wouldnt have pointed his gun at him so he wouldn't have to shot and kill him. Why not just call the police in that moment and get that guy arrested later. That's the way to go instead of shooting someone on the street. Oh well, 3rd world obviously.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2013, 09:31:23 pm »
+2
If the cop wasn't about to interfere, the robber wouldnt have pointed his gun at him so he wouldn't have to shot and kill him. Why not just call the police in that moment and get that guy arrested later. That's the way to go instead of shooting someone on the street. Oh well, 3rd world obviously.

I bet if you would have called the police in a country like brazil and tell them an armed robber just stole someones bike they would laugh and dismiss it instantly. Maaaaybe they would file a report. But either way it would probably be completely fruitless as armed robbery crimes probably go unsolved 9.8 times out of 10 in a country like brazil.

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2013, 09:34:16 pm »
+2
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in most countries police officers are considered to be always "on duty" and must interfere whenever they witness a crime regardless whether they're on their shift or not?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2013, 09:35:51 pm »
I know in some US jurisdictions (the territory is so vast and varried when it comes to law and police officers, even within same state lines, that you can't really make any big generalizations) they would have pumped this guy with at least a full clip.

Why are they still using world war I or II rifles?

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2013, 09:40:43 pm »
Jesus would not only have let the robber get away, he would also have given him his purse and his shoes.

Because USA still won wars back then. Maybe it has to do with the weapons that were used.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2013, 09:45:09 pm »

What? As far as I know AR-15s are common for certain districts. That's not WW2 is it? Is it something to do with the word clip instead of mag?

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2013, 09:48:25 pm »
I bet if you would have called the police in a country like brazil and tell them an armed robber just stole someones bike they would laugh and dismiss it instantly. Maaaaybe they would file a report. But either way it would probably be completely fruitless as armed robbery crimes probably go unsolved 9.8 times out of 10 in a country like brazil.

Okay, brazil fine, but weren't we already talking about it in general, as like you americans arguing that you'd also welcome such a behaviour of an officer though? Of course it's sad that it runs like that in brazil, most likely that's what's the government + police is guilty for though.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2013, 09:51:15 pm »
Why call the police when a policeofficer is there?
And then well it is police duty to stop a crime and prevent the criminal from escaping.
So the officer did his job. this doesn't make him a hero nor a murderer.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2013, 09:52:49 pm »
+4
If the cop wasn't about to interfere, the robber wouldnt have pointed his gun at him so he wouldn't have to shot and kill him.
You are arguing that an officer should just let a violent thief escape, due to the chance that the thief might pull his gun, thus forcing the officer to shoot him. I would argue that, if the thief is so violent that he is willing to draw his weapon on anybody who interferes, then it is more important that the officer intervene. The officer shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of the criminal.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:56:59 pm by Vodner »

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:50 pm »
+1
What? As far as I know AR-15s are common for certain districts. That's not WW2 is it? Is it something to do with the word clip instead of mag?

Afaik clips are only used in firearms with fixed magazins. So yeah, most post WW2 guns have detachable magazines. No clips there.