Author Topic: I don't get this.  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: I don't get this.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 08:56:50 pm »
+9
was there a special class of how to write nothing with using a lot words?

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 09:06:42 pm »
+1
And yes i miss uni and writing essays.

You flunked out I bet

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 10:26:51 pm »
The English exaggerated the shit out of their national weapon.
it might of been an English weapon but i know the best archers came from Wales, so maybe the Welsh had a more accurate statement.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 11:23:57 pm »
was there a special class of how to write nothing with using a lot words?

I guess t was called the English class

I learned how to say nothing with many French words myself.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 03:09:12 pm »
+2
No, because you didn't get my point. My claim was that the longbow was a good weapon because it could launch heavy war arrows which are needed to defeat armour. However the longbow was not able to produce high shot speeds with lighter arrows because of the spring speed limitation of a wooden one material bow, which pushes the whole velocity-projectile mass relation into non-linear behaviour. No matter how high the draw weight or low the arrow weight was, the bow just couldn't launch the projectile any faster.

Composite bows were better at this; they kept linearity for a greater spectrum of arrow weights. For the question what bow achieves the highest shot speed and thus range my bet would not be on the longbow but on a composite bow with flight arrows.

That was the question of this thread. Why has the longbow lower projectile speed than horn and tatar bow? Because they shot heavier arrows and have a lower maximum spring speed. I'm not dissing the longbow which was a great, robust weapon especially in the wet British climate which destroyed crossbows and composite bows alike. But in terms of shot speed there are better bows.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 03:12:02 pm »
+4
Question of the day, are there going to be any changes to bows, or do we admit the superiority of the composite bow and everyone, who hasn't already done so, should switch to those?

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 03:20:34 pm »
+3
No, because you didn't get my point. My claim was that the longbow was a good weapon because it could launch heavy war arrows which are needed to defeat armour. However the longbow was not able to produce high shot speeds with lighter arrows because of the spring speed limitation of a wooden one material bow...etc.snip.

Good and valid point. Problem: in c-rpg all arrows are created equal incl the +3 ones and just differ slightly in damage and quiver size.

So if the longbow gets fucked overall + upkeep and break rate at a point where a lightly armored archer with lb / 2xbodkins / cheap 0 slot / ragged outfit keeps losing money FAST - how about at least giving it a special purpose?

A longbow with shitty projectile speed but UNIQUE arrows ("Heavy War Bodkins" or whatever, ONLY usable with longbow, damage slightly above the old mw bodkins before the 523 nerfs) might make sense.

Right now it has become useless and too expensive, even I have switched to a pussy horn bow or nomad for the time being
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:25:15 pm by Hirlok »
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 03:23:24 pm »
+2
I'd actually like to make the longbow a rather low price(around 6k) weapon and have a similar sized composite bow take the top price spot. I just dunno if those existed.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 03:29:30 pm »
+1
Basically a crappy hard-to-use lower-tier bow, that has higher damage per shot? Well, i guess that is one way to go about it, though i still feel boned :/

Can it at least get better accuracy or maybe there can be some hack, that lets it be held for a slightly longer time (to be on par with other bows)?

Offline pingpong

• Earl
  • Renown: 423
  • Infamy: 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 03:34:09 pm »
Ah so this is why HA's so numerous & annoying these days  :rolleyes:, forget longbow what amazes me most is making regular bow 2 slot, being 1 slot prepatch was about the only good thing going for it, now IMO its just useless, you people need to realize that making everything historically accurate just leaves fewer weapon choices, people are greedy by nature and want to have the best of everything thats why we minmax, why use the "shitty" or semi-decent weapons if everyone and their mother is using the 1 or 2 best ones?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:38:07 pm by pingpong »

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »
+7
yes, lots of HA and besides being a pain in the ass they usually get their kills by horse-bumping...

Fact is: while the amount of strength crutchers in heavy armor has not really been affected by upkeep or whatever measures to limit it, archery has been made a lot less effective over time.

The last big hit was the nerfing of loomed arrows - since then there are basically no arrows that deal damage an armored guy would notice.
Mission accomplished.

In addition: upkeep seems to be "tweaked for archers" - I have alts in all classes, some with much more costly gear, no one looses money as my archer main does, the break rate for mw bodkins and mw longbow (esp. on siege) is a joke.

On a constructive note: new high tier bow (or re-vitalized longbow) would be a great idea. Make it high requirement (7pd at least), give it unique arrows, medium missile speed, medium accuracy, and noticable damage. Will say: an effective weapon agains horses and armored people, useless for archer duels and not usable by kiting agi archers.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 03:53:01 pm »
+1
I'd actually like to make the longbow a rather low price(around 6k) weapon and have a similar sized composite bow take the top price spot. I just dunno if those existed.
I still won't agree with you about arrows.... different arrows with same starting speed may come from different length of time arrow is accelerating on the bow, and it's certainly less with smaller bows. Faster acceleration = higher chance to break = harder arrows need to be used.

But lets go to actual game, realism aside, why would you remove a whole bow class? Yes it consisted only from Long Bow, but it wasn't op and had a meaning on the battlefileld... now small bows have ridiculous missile speed values >> they are much easier to hit with, and they have higher accuracy rating....

Yeah, Nomad bow missile speed is not overpowered ^^
(click to show/hide)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 03:54:35 pm »
I just don't get why the Longbow is the most expensive weapon, it's a piece of shit compared to the other bows.  And I don't even use an archer, it's just obvious.

IMO the longbow should have the highest missile speed, and damage.  But the slowest draw speed.   I don't get why some of the fastest draw bows would also have the highest missile speed.  It seems counter-intuitive from a gameplay or realism perspective.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 01:23:23 am »
+1
I just don't get why the Longbow is the most expensive weapon, it's a piece of shit compared to the other bows.  And I don't even use an archer, it's just obvious.

IMO the longbow should have the highest missile speed, and damage.  But the slowest draw speed.   I don't get why some of the fastest draw bows would also have the highest missile speed.  It seems counter-intuitive from a gameplay or realism perspective.

Don't forget that you can hold the draw for a long time on the Long Bow.  Having a slow draw also means more time to line up the crosshairs, so overall its lack of speed can be a boon to some archers who want more time for precise shots.

And missile speed is a personal thing as well, a lot of ranged (myself included when I was HA) tend to stick with one ranged weapon and simply internalize the missile speed.  It becomes a gut thing, and doesn't factor into a weapon's effectiveness once you're used to and competent with it.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 04:16:42 am »
+2
Question of the day, are there going to be any changes to bows, or do we admit the superiority of the composite bow and everyone, who hasn't already done so, should switch to those?

Never left them. Quit chasing the weapon of the day you fair weather archer!
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln