Poll

Please specify how item classes should be changed: (v0.223)

Buff horses
192 (7%)
Buff armor
162 (5.9%)
Buff one handed weapons
195 (7.1%)
Buff two handed weapons
140 (5.1%)
Buff polearms
98 (3.6%)
Buff shield
120 (4.4%)
Buff thrown
264 (9.6%)
Buff bow
151 (5.5%)
Buff crossbow
85 (3.1%)
Nerf horses
144 (5.2%)
Nerf armor
80 (2.9%)
Nerf one handed weapons
79 (2.9%)
Nerf two handed weapons
180 (6.5%)
Nerf polearms
209 (7.6%)
Nerf shield
117 (4.2%)
Nerf thrown
89 (3.2%)
Nerf bow
153 (5.5%)
Nerf crossbow
174 (6.3%)
Leave everything as is. (overrides all other options)
125 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 973

Voting closed: May 31, 2011, 02:13:07 pm

Author Topic: Official Survey about item power  (Read 73037 times)

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Official Survey about item power
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2011, 12:13:23 am »
It's nice to see that a lot of people are giving support to throwers, even begrudgingly. I appreciate it.

Quote from: kinngrimm
- throwing got nerfed into oblivion, the only thing what is usable at all are the war darts in the opinion of lots of throwers i have spoken to.
A lot of people actually missed this, but wardarts were reduced to 4 per stack in the most recent patch.  :lol:

Playing as a dedicated thrower for so long, I know what a difficult playstyle it really is. I don't think it was ever truly overpowered, when compared to crossbowing, as well as considering the risk vs reward, but the damage buff was warranted. It seems common consensus that the nerfs to throwing went beyond reasonable to the extreme however.

As a long time dedicated thrower, please hear me out. You have to be very careful how you balance throwing. It is in a tricky position and if done incorrectly will just cause more problems and never get fixed. What really started all the hate was throwing getting very popular after archer nerfs. It wasn't a problem when throwers were rare, but when people realized they could grab a bunch of throwing weapons and huck them around cheap as pies and do damage, it got way out of hand. No one wants that to happen again. I don't want that to happen again since it will just bring more hate towards my playstyle, which I believe could have a legitimate position in regular gameplay. These are the changes I believe would make it fair again, without letting it get out of control. Some nerf, some buff.

Lower the very high wpf requirement - It is too much. Currently, the more wpf you invest in being a better thrower, the worse your overall build becomes. The requirements for the higher levels of powerthrow are so high that reaching them effectively handicaps the build making dedicated throwers impossible. You need to be able to have points in a secondary weapon to scavenge from the ground once you run out of things to throw. This is currently impossible if you want to be a dedicated thrower and have the highest level of throwing. What happens is you run out of throwing weapons, and then run around unarmed while people scream at you and request you be banned for unarmed leaching. This is annoying.
Increase the amount of powerthrow needed for throwing weapons - This would make it require more of a point investment to add throwing to a build, without eliminating the possibility altogether like the wpf hike did. Making hybrids more expensive this way wouldn't punish dedicated throwers like the wpf increase did.
Increase accuracy - Either by amount of wpf, amount of powerthrow, quality of the weapons, or a mix. It doesn't matter, as long as accuracy is increased. Aiming is currently like gambling since the reticule is very wide, even for a dedicated thrower.
Stack size; very small increase + heirloom increase - I don't feel these need to be raised by much. Certainly the higher quality throwing weapons like spears jarrids and lances have become useless at such low amounts. For instance, you can throw 1.5 jarrids per slot. While I feel that they could be increased just a little bit, and certainly I believe 100% that heirlooming them should increase the stack size again, I don't feel they should be returned to the amount you could have before. The reduced stacks encourage more patience and timing, and only skilled throwers remain effective at it. The current amounts are a little too low however. Especially on the 80-100 man servers.
Leave speed, distance, damage, and slot amounts as is. - Naturally bolts and arrows should fly much faster, throwing requires heavier timing to connect with targets. Distance might seem too poor right now, but that's just the way it is. If you want range, pick up a crossbow. They cost nearly nothing to add to a build and have plenty of range and punch. You get used to the range after a while. Damage has already been reduced a lot to the point where people don't complain about it anymore, and at higher levels of powerthrow it is better, reduced stack size unbalanced this a little however, but I enjoy the playstyle enough to look past that disadvantage. Slot size, while many people complain about, I feel was actually the smartest change. If the idea was to cut down on the sheer amount of people making throwing hybrids, then job well done. It never felt right to be able to carry a ton of throwing weapons and then just whip out a 2h sword at will. There were also far too many ?/thrower hybrids and it got old pretty fast. Archery being good again as well as the slot increase and the low requirements for crossbows eliminated this, not the wpf hike. Well, that, and the brutal overnerfing. That stopped it right up too if you want to get technical. 

The proper thrower playstyle should be "start with nothing but throwing weapons, throw all or half, scavenge weapon from ground to defend yourself with. Hunt for stray throwing weapons. Survive." It's a very difficult, but very rewarding playstyle which is a natural counter to heavy cav, and cocky plates. Their natural enemies are shield users, who ruin all but the most skilled throwers. I'm very in favour of the idea that tactics should be used by teams to win. The more complicated the game of rock paper scissors gets, the more rewarding and enjoyable it will overall become.

The tl;dr: Lower wpf requirement(buff), increase powerthrow requirement(nerf), increase accuracy(buff), small stack size increase particularly for heirlooms(slight buff).

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:15:56 am by Cheap_Shot »
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2011, 12:14:24 am »
things i like to see to be a little different

- Xbows should need skill points to use like any other ranged weapon.
- if i need 2 slots for a shield, it has to be really good, in terms of huscarl, it got nerfed 2 times in last 2 patches, less coverage, less hp, less toughness, increase the coverage and either hp or toughness again.
- throwing got nerfed into oblivion, the only thing what is usable at all are the war darts in the opinion of lots of throwers i have spoken to. The last nerf that Javalins need 2 slots after reducing their ammo and damage was their death sentence, same with Jarrids, Lances are even worse. I played thrower in 4 generations on my alt and it needs a lot of more skill to get close to enemies and avoid them then the other ranged classes. You normaly don't hit with most of your throws if so you are more lucky then skilled. Give more armor to lances and make it 7 PT to use them again. 3 per 2 slots, I don't think a hybrid 2h/thrower with lances with only 3 laces would be OP, if so reduce the damage not the ammo.
- There should be a 1slot Polearm(Spear) witch is between 150-170 and sheatable. That would make a horse nerf obsolet in my eyes. If you do a horse nerf instead don't go for their speed but for their aiming.
- Reduce the time you stay on ground after a horse bump and after a knockdown
- the 3 mauls there are should increase in their abilities like, the smallest ahs knockdown, the iron small one should have crushthrough and the large iron maul then can have crushthrough and knockdown.

Stop QQ, you have your ridiculous pick, I hope that one will be nerfed too not just the shield. Also Huscarl is still almost the BEST shield so....
All of the 2h weps are 2 slots, and I dont think that the prac sword is really good..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:39:11 am by Momo »
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ufthak

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2011, 12:21:49 am »
This comment will probably be unpopular, but I think throwing needs a buff. With the recent war dart ammo size reduction, dedicated throwing pretty much no longer exists. The change brought about by slot sizes already hurt them enough, and as far as I can tell resulted in the recent influx of archers on the NA server. It might have been a bit annoying when EVERY SINGLE PERSON had some means of ranged attack, it never really felt that imbalanced or anything. Granted this is all speculation, but increasing throwing ammo size or letting up a bit of slot consumption for non-throwing lances might help avoid some of these recent 20-30 archer per team matches where the main melee fray consists of a staggering five people per team, with sixty archers sitting on hills behind them firing at each other.

If I'm completely off base in thinking that, then I would change my answer to nerf crossbow and bow. I don't have any problem with ranged attackers, quite the contrary; there's just simply too many of them lately, and it's taking away from the pretty loud clangs. :( Maybe it's just a passing fad, here's hoping. (personally, I'm a polearm user, typically spears and pikes, I've never added to throwing or power throw.)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2011, 12:22:25 am »
To give you a helping hand in answering the topics, ask yourself this question:
buff <item class> - would I like the fact that every item in that class would get it's stats increased by 5%.
nerf <item class> - would I like the fact that every item in that class would get it's stats decreased by 5%.
Had to vote to leave everything as is. There are minor balances I think every class(except for sword and board) needs, but nothing like a 5% stat increase across the board for that classes items. Throwing would be the closest thing to needing a 5% increase across the board, if I had to choose one thing. After that, it'd probably be "revert the 2h thrust animation". Neither of which really qualify as buffing the entirety of the class.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2011, 12:28:03 am »
They don't suck. Many left because they are slightly less obvious op weapons, and because polearms are new black. Notice that i voted for both nerfing 2h and polearms, so i'm not biased (and their relative power level will stay the same when fighting each other).

So nearly all 2h players is just noobs who wanted a op weapon ? lol dude rly ? And their relative power level with stay the same? .... erm 2h kinda fails, polearms is op atm.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2011, 12:30:00 am »
I think it's fine overall. A few tweaks is needed though, in my oppinion.

- Two-Hand needs a new thrust animation.

It has a stuttering, laggy look.

Too slow.

Late/weird hit registration.

Glancing blows, alot of them.(Just what it feels like, due to various things.)

180+ degree spinthrusts are back.

And most importantly, the thrust stun needs to be gone. Whenever I thrust, a good opponent will know that he can just slash me due to me being stunned. This is game breaking and the single most frustration for all two-handers.

To fix two-handed you need to...

- Fix the current thrust by speeding it up to atleast be on par with the polearm animation and more importantly, fix the thrust stun and get it removed.

- Fix late hit registration.

- Buff damage slightly(Tiny, 1-3 points) yet still be inferior to general polearm damage dealing.

- Speed up the swords by a couple of points to slightly above general polearm speed.

Compared to polearms, two-handed swords and Great Swords in particular is inferior in every way.

Other things on my mind...

Plated Charger needs a buff... horses in general need a buff.

Throwing needs some more projectiles in their stacks(I still hate you:P).

Yeah couldent agree more.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2011, 12:34:13 am »
Ohh shit if polearms are going to be nerfed my spear will be even weaker :O polearm axes needs nerf leave the rest please :)
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2011, 12:38:44 am »
So nearly all 2h players is just noobs who wanted a op weapon ? lol dude rly ? And their relative power level with stay the same? .... erm 2h kinda fails, polearms is op atm.

Yes, they are players who want to have big edge in melee combat, and think they have dueling weapon (while using great swords, formation weapon that is meant to support other players). If you want dueling weapon, there is still Longsword for you, awesome weapon btw.

Phyrex is good example of it, he want no-glance whirlwind attacks and lolstabs back. Oh, wow, he even want superfast greatswords. WOW. :shock:

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2011, 12:39:12 am »
The thing I am most annoyed with since the last patch is the slot system. I makes no sense that an archer or xbow can not be any kind of hybrid any more (unless he uses a useless bow and has one quiver of arrows, making him a 2h/pole with a sidearm bow, not an archer - a useful archer has to spend 4 slots on bow and 2 quivers of arrows), while overpowered 2H monsters can still have a tiny little bec or pike or shield/1h as secondary weapon....

Besides that most stuff is quite well balanced now, I'd say (and I say that not only as an archer, but playing polearm, shielder/thrower, etc. alts as well).

One more thing: while I know that most users prefer the timelapse jumpslash hectical unrealistic BF2 type of battle - the speed of many weapons in this game is slightly outerworldly, in many cases you do not even see any animation any more, you just fall dead while the guy with that tiny poleaxe or bec seemingly did not even move...

So I voted for a (moderate) nerf of 2H and poles.

Force them to be "pure" just as us ranged folks (or give us back the possiblity to have a decent weapon, we are crippled enough by having to spend each and every single WPF on archery... ) and make them a little slower, esp. the big and heavy ones - no one in real life swings a bec, a long mace, big sword or a poleaxe faster than the eye can see...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:43:55 am by Hirlok »
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2011, 12:41:51 am »
The thing I am most annoyed with since the last patch is the slot system. I makes no sense that an archer or xbow can not be any kind of hybrid any more (unless he uses a useless bow and has one quiver of arrows, making him a 2h/pole with a sidearm bow, not an archer - a useful archer has to spend 4 slots on bow and 2 quivers of arrows), while overpowered 2H monsters can still have a tiny little bec or pike or shield/1h as secondary weapon....

Besides that most stuff is quite well balanced now, I'd say (and I say that not only as an archer, but playing polearm, shielder/thrower, etc. alts as well).

One more thing: while I know that most users prefer the timelapse jumpslash hectical unrealistic BF2 type of battle - the speed of many weapons in this game is slightly outerworldly, in many cases you do not even see any animation any more, you just fall dead while the guy with that tiny poleaxe or bec seemingly did not even move...

Force them to be "pure" just as us ranged folks (or give us back the possiblity to have a decent weapon, we are crippled enough by having to spend each and every single WPF on archery... ) and make them a little slower, esp. the big and heavy ones - no one in real life swings an bec, a long mace or a poleaxe faster than the eye can see...

1hs can do the exact same thing...especially without a shield :)
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2011, 12:46:46 am »
Yes, they are players who want to have big edge in melee combat, and think they have dueling weapon (while using great swords, formation weapon that is meant to support other players). If you want dueling weapon, there is still Longsword for you, awesome weapon btw.

Phyrex is good example of it, he want no-glance whirlwind attacks and lolstabs back. Oh, wow, he even want superfast greatswords. WOW. :shock:

Every playerer picked thier build thinking it would give them an advantage in SOME aspect of combat, otherwise why would they bother? Just count how many throwers you see these days. I do agree that the greatswords are a tad op in their current form though.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2011, 12:48:12 am »

Force them to be "pure" just as us ranged folks (or give us back the possiblity to have a decent weapon, we are crippled enough by having to spend each and every single WPF on archery... ) and make them a little slower, esp. the big and heavy ones - no one in real life swings a bec, a long mace, big sword or a poleaxe faster than the eye can see...

Dont put polearms and 2h in the same group dude. And rly nerf 2hs more ? have you seen how many people left 2h ? i dont think there is any other class which has got that many leavers. Im a 2h veteran. And i love 2h, always the wep i pick in mediaval games. But i am even beginning to wonder about goin 1h or polearm.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2011, 12:48:41 am »
1hs can do the exact same thing...especially without a shield :)

that is right, but at least it is a little less absurd than swinging some hugish monster like poleaxe or flam in a way that we now see in this game - at least the "self stun" between swings is noticeably higher with big heavy 2H/polearm weapons, as any martial arts practitioner (or wood cutter) can tell.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2011, 12:50:20 am »
that is right, but at least it is a little less absurd than swinging some hugish monster like poleaxe or flam in a way that we now see in this game - at least the "self stun" between swings is noticeably higher with big heavy 2H/polearm weapons, as any martial arts practitioner (or wood cutter) can tell.

Well, you are right, maybe there should not be any items which can do this absurd thing.
Edit: Or do something with the speed, or I don't know xD.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:51:25 am by Momo »

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2011, 12:50:53 am »
Every playerer picked thier build thinking it would give them an advantage in SOME aspect of combat, otherwise why would they bother? Just count how many throwers you see these days. I do agree that the greatswords are a tad op in their current form though.

Erm.... woot?. Greatswords are op ? have you seen nerfs ? have you seen stab dmg ? have you seen the stab stun (wtf). Do you play a 2h?

And you dont even think the polearms are op ? what about their sick speed/reach and stun?