Author Topic: 1h stab  (Read 14605 times)

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
Re: 1h stab
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2013, 09:38:41 am »
oh xant, you are the embodiment of bitterness.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2013, 10:15:42 am »

If you are to try a rational, scientific approach to the comparaison, at least compare apples with apples.

-Can 2h swing with a shield?

When 1h swing with a shield in the other hand, the only thing that shield does is slow them down.

-Have you taken into account the real reach of each weapon based on animations?

You will find out that 2h stab is superior, 2h overhead is superior, 2h right swing is fast, 2h left swing is long and both can hiltslash. In all these things, 1h do worse.

-Have you taken into account secondary factors such as nudges and kicks?

Kicks are (almost) never used on anybody but 1h. Nudges are about equally retarded among classes (I would argue the polearm push move is the worst) and seldom used in real play.

Oh, and last but not least, I learned that proving your point through comparaisons is the worst form of argument. Play the game.

Playing the game leads me to the conclusion that 2h stabs are still far more broken than either pole or 1h stabs. Everything also points towards the awlpike being the ultimate stab weapon and seriously broken too by a combination of damage, reach and speed. When I fight an awlpike user I can swing at him, let my animation progress to its half while he does nothing then if at that moment he taps lmb to make a stab, he kills me instantly. When someone holds a stab, you have to block before the stab is released and maintain your block. If you don't maintain your block, you die the instant the stab is released because it connects immediately. Of course this is my experience as a naked guy. When I play armored alts I often laugh at the weakness of those stabbers that keep whiffing on my lordly rus scale at close range while I chop off their heads in a ballet of longsword sideswings. The awlpike though, is able to effortlessly go through even the thickest armor at facehug range because of its high damage.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2013, 10:33:38 am »
When 1h swing with a shield in the other hand, the only thing that shield does is slow them down.

You will find out that 2h stab is superior, 2h overhead is superior, 2h right swing is fast, 2h left swing is long and both can hiltslash. In all these things, 1h do worse.

Kicks are (almost) never used on anybody but 1h. Nudges are about equally retarded among classes (I would argue the polearm push move is the worst) and seldom used in real play.

Playing the game leads me to the conclusion that 2h stabs are still far more broken than either pole or 1h stabs. Everything also points towards the awlpike being the ultimate stab weapon and seriously broken too by a combination of damage, reach and speed. When I fight an awlpike user I can swing at him, let my animation progress to its half while he does nothing then if at that moment he taps lmb to make a stab, he kills me instantly. When someone holds a stab, you have to block before the stab is released and maintain your block. If you don't maintain your block, you die the instant the stab is released because it connects immediately. Of course this is my experience as a naked guy. When I play armored alts I often laugh at the weakness of those stabbers that keep whiffing on my lordly rus scale at close range while I chop off their heads in a ballet of longsword sideswings. The awlpike though, is able to effortlessly go through even the thickest armor at facehug range because of its high damage.

This is the way I should have written my earlier post. Well said.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2013, 10:57:00 am »
+4
Kafein you are as biased towards 1h as Panos is towards polearm and Rufio is towards 2h. Which means I am taking anything you post on the subject of melee balance with a pinch of salt.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2013, 11:32:51 am »
well said sir well said

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2013, 12:11:15 pm »

I won't mention the waves of sarcasm that flow through my mind right now.

You will find out that when combined with +8-10 speed rating, a lighter weight and perhaps a few more athletics, 1h can keep its distances vs 2h and polearm. As for the hiltslash, as usual, you people seem to completely overlook the left spam. But no worries, I didnt expect you to be fair in your comparaison.
However I will not say that a 1h user will have the same reach as 2h or polearm. My initial comment was merely pointing out the fact that the wannabe scientist didnt take into account the animations.

-The thing most people don't know about kicks is that it is as deadly to the victim as it can be to the user. If you don't believe me ask those who tried to kick me in duel or guys like Hagur. Nudges aren't like that. And please, please don't bullshit me with the ''polearm nudge is the worst'', unless you really have no idea what you're talking about. However I fully agree with you that they are retarded.

I disagree about the fact that 2h is more broken than 1h stab. Thanks to devs lack of testing, 1h now has that medal.
However yeah all stabs are broken and are a joke. 1h, 2h, polearm, hell even ranged if we take into account that they still stun you for a full second.

NB: Please don't reply to my questions if you're not the guy I asked the question to.
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2013, 01:59:29 pm »
+7
If you are to try a rational, scientific approach to the comparaison, at least compare apples with apples.

Oh, and last but not least, I learned that proving your point through comparaisons is the worst form of argument. Play the game.

My initial comment was merely pointing out the fact that the wannabe scientist didnt take into account the animations.

::sigh:: I wasn't going to respond as I figured I would not be able to get any point through your thick skull. Based on your posts on this forum, you seem to be one of those people who think that everything that is not your main is easy to play and that everything that kills you is OP.

First off, I've been playing the mod for over 3 years...so I actually HAVE been playing the game. If you would have read and understood the entirety of my previous post, you would have noticed my "gameplay" theories as to why things are the way they are.

But, lets answer your questions that you never would have even asked if you knew anything about CRPG mechanics.

-Can 2h swing with a shield?

Some of them, yes. But the fact that you posted this question - and the fact that it's coming from you - makes me think that you feel shields are a super-awesome upgrade and a huge advantage in a fight. Shields are more of a side-grade than an upgrade and here's why.

• Shields are VERY heavy. One of the lightest, commonly used shields is the Elite Cavalry. It has a weight of 5.5. By comparison, a German Greatsword has a weight of 2.5.  To compensate for the very heavy weight, a shield user either needs to stack athletics (and have lower PS) or wear light armor. Otherwise they are stuck with turtle-slow moving speed, making them more susceptible to kicks, mauls, etc.
  • Shields are breakable. So you bring along your big, expensive heavy shield and some asshole comes by and hits it a couple times with an axe. Whelp, there goes your shield. Even a sword can break most of them relatively quickly, but I still find it faster to either use a maul, or just hit them around their shield.
  • Shields are slow. Unless you are using the very fastest of shields, blocking with a shield is slower than manual blocking.
  • Shields telegraph your attacks. If you keep on eye on a person's shield, it's easy to know when they're feinting or not.

Shields are also good at a few things, which makes them good utility items.

• They are good at blocking projectiles from the front. If you're fighting two ranged players, and they aren't idiots, they can still shoot you though.
  • They are great at blocking multiple attackers when they are in front of you. You can keep a lot of people busy when you have room to maneuver and your back is to the wall.
  • They are good at pushing through contested ladders on siege.

Still, I personally don't like to use shields. WAY too many penalties for my taste.

-Have you taken into account the real reach of each weapon based on animations?

If you would have taken a little visit to the "Game Mechanic Megathread" you would have noticed that this would have made the length difference between 1-h and 2-h even longer. I didn't think I even needed to mention this, as this should be a known fact by anyone playing this game, but here are the stats:

1h
Overhead = +0
Left-to-right = +0
Right-to-left = +19
Thrust = +61

2h
Overhead = +15
Left-to-right = +17
Right-to-left = +13
Thrust = +80 (This may be slightly wrong with the new stab animation)

Let's compare this to the "average" stats from my previous post:

2 handers1 handers
Average Speed9499
Average Length116105
Average Thrust23p24p
Average Swing39c30c

Average of 2h    Average of 1h
Average Overhead Length131105
Average L to R Length105133
Average R to L Length129124
Average Thrust Length196166

-Have you taken into account secondary factors such as nudges and kicks?

As anyone who has played this mod for any length of time should know, 1-handers are the easiest to land kicks on. Their shorter reach requires them to constantly move towards their opponent. That makes it easy for people with longer weapons to s-key and kick. With the huge cone-of-effect that kicking has now, it makes doing that even easier.

For nudges, ALL classes can nudge. There are differences among them though. Still there's only a few nudges I ever use, as they're all gimmicky and most have more drawbacks than positives.

You need to be in facehug range to nudge at all. If you s-key someone who tries to nudge you, you'll never, ever get nudged.
You can hit someone while they're nudging, making it a risky move.
After someone nudges, they can't kick or nudge for a while.

The one nudge that can grant a free hit is the 1h-no shield attack nudge. I generally only use it against shielders as it's harder for them to move away and I can easily tell when they're going to attack.

Polearm block nudge is another one of my favorites though. You can launch both teammates and enemies pretty far. It has many uses because of that.

Well, I hope we all learned something today and remember kids, only you can prevent yourself from being an idiot.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2013, 02:25:30 pm »
you seem to be one of those people who think that everything that is not your main is easy to play and that everything that kills you is OP.

You shouldn't have said that. Now he'll come with his "my main is shielder" bullshit. Though he rarely (read: almost never) plays as a shielder.

(click to show/hide)

-The thing most people don't know about kicks is that it is as deadly to the victim as it can be to the user. If you don't believe me ask those who tried to kick me in duel

Lol, 90% of the time you stay in the same place or backpeddal, so yeah, kicking you can be pretty hard I guess.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:30:22 pm by Falka »

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 21, 2013, 02:35:06 pm »
+2
Kafein you are as biased towards 1h as Panos is towards polearm

polearm which he uses. If you use Long axe e.g. you are a filthy spammer according to Panos.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2013, 07:15:29 pm »
I increased 1h stab blocked anim duration by 50ms for next patch. I won't do anything else.

can you add this delay to the other stabs as well? you know because of fairness and so.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • QQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2013, 07:16:42 pm »
other stabs already suffer a greater block delay...tsk tsk

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2013, 07:23:34 pm »
Yeah the delay on getting a stab blocked on 1h is pretty small window compared to 2h and polearms, but you can chalk it up to having a much shorter length of stab (including weapon length) than 2h or polearms.

All in all, it's not just 1h that's got a funky stab mechanic, all the stabs should be tweaked to be more balanced.  But keep focusing on 1h and showing us how retarded you are.  Or take the common sense approach, that 2h stab should have been fixed, and 1h/polearms should have maybe, possibly been tweaked to make them a little better (but not lolstab worthy like the 2h is).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2013, 08:07:23 pm »
+6
1h stab blocked duration is on par now with polearms. 2h stab even has 50ms on top of that. They all use weapon speed though as a modifier so it won't do anything about rondels.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2013, 08:14:28 pm »
Sorry my browser went full retard.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2013, 08:15:06 pm »