Author Topic: Help with Plants  (Read 1170 times)

Offline ORiainRex

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free-Lance Sexy Killing Machine
Help with Plants
« on: May 13, 2011, 04:33:38 am »
Hey all,

I'm working on my first MP map, and I've run into an issue.  I'm using the C-RPG Scene editor to create my map.  My issue is that random plants and tree's have spawned all over my map, and some of them are in places that they just shouldn't be.  I can't select them to remove them.  I've heard tell of a "vegetation" slider, but I see no such thing.  I've searched the forums but can't find anything that helps. Can anyone tell me how to strip my map of all the auto-placed plant-life?  +1 Awesome bar to the first person to solve my dilemma!

Offline Rannepear

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • 我叫阿杰
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rannepear
Re: Help with Plants
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:57:27 am »
When you're generating the terrain code for the map, move the foliage slider all the way to the left, then it will be completely empty of trees and you can set them manually.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ORiainRex

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:54:21 am »
I didn't generate a terrain code.  I used on of the "blanks" in the CRPG Scene Editor as a template and just wiped the terrain to use as a base.  It seemed like a work-around from having to use the SP Editor to create a landscape, then copy/paste the terrain code to another file to create a new map, then build off of that (this is what I think I've read from other threads, I'm a total newb though).  The tree's weren't there when I started building on the map, but the first time I closed it and re-opened it, the plants were all there.  In the edit mode options I can't find any kind of vegetation slider anywhere.  Was I wrong in assuming that the patch gave us these templates in order to skip the whole terrain code generation step?

Offline Rannepear

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • 我叫阿杰
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 05:57:36 am »
You can only edit those variables if you go through the SP editor....It's not that much more time consuming, really. Plus it lets you preview terrain before you even use it.

Offline ORiainRex

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:00:47 am »
Thanks a lot.  +1 Awesome bar for your extremely timely response!

Offline Rannepear

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • 我叫阿杰
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:03:58 am »
Thanks. I usually check pretty replies pretty often. Good luck on your scenes.

Offline ORiainRex

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 07:41:03 am »
OK, now I'm having a different issue.  Without having done extensive research on how to make a map (my mistake, I know), I just selected one of the blank maps in the CRPG Scene editor and worked from there.  Having done so, and designed a beautiful castle map from there, I now find myself unable to proceed.  I can't figure out how to take that map and move it to native to use the SP editor, which I believe I have to do in order to change the vegetation slider.  It seems I may be screwed here, as I've done things kind of ass backwards, apparently.  Presumable, I was supposed to go into SP, click on the terrain editor, generate my terrain, then copy the terrain code to add it to the module_scenes.py and the other 2 .py files in the module system.  Since I already have a terrain associated with a map which already has objects on it, is there any way to find that terrain code from the .scn file or elsewhere? 

I'm clearly lost here, and while I could simply start over and follow the directions in the forum from scratch and probably figure it all out, I would really hate for all the hours I spent making this map to have been for nothing.  If anyone can get me back on the right track, I would be super appreciative. 

Has anyone else made a map starting with the new templates that were delivered with on of the latest Crpg patches? 

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 08:21:16 am »
OK, now I'm having a different issue.  Without having done extensive research on how to make a map (my mistake, I know), I just selected one of the blank maps in the CRPG Scene editor and worked from there.  Having done so, and designed a beautiful castle map from there, I now find myself unable to proceed.  I can't figure out how to take that map and move it to native to use the SP editor, which I believe I have to do in order to change the vegetation slider.  It seems I may be screwed here, as I've done things kind of ass backwards, apparently.  Presumable, I was supposed to go into SP, click on the terrain editor, generate my terrain, then copy the terrain code to add it to the module_scenes.py and the other 2 .py files in the module system.  Since I already have a terrain associated with a map which already has objects on it, is there any way to find that terrain code from the .scn file or elsewhere? 

I'm clearly lost here, and while I could simply start over and follow the directions in the forum from scratch and probably figure it all out, I would really hate for all the hours I spent making this map to have been for nothing.  If anyone can get me back on the right track, I would be super appreciative. 

Has anyone else made a map starting with the new templates that were delivered with on of the latest Crpg patches?
I think this should work: open scenes.txt with wordpad or another editor (notepad just opens the whole thing in a wall of text) and search for "scn_blank_1"
From that line, search for the blank scene you have used and find the lines that you need. Copy those and you have what you need to put in to your .py files. Then you just need to copy your .scn file from the cRPG folder and move it to the native folder (and rename it to what you want, remember to match it with the name you enter to the three .py files)

After you are done with this, just host a server to open your map and edit it from there.

Offline ORiainRex

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 10:26:36 am »
Thank you!

The info's there.  I was sure I'd tried that, but I think I just got frustrated by that point and got careless.  Seems like I'm back on track. 

Can I also just say that this community is amazing?! So very, very helpful.  Thanks a lot.  Here's hoping I don't have to post yet another problem!