Author Topic: Whats up with the kicks? Going to be fixed ever?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
Re: Whats up with the kicks? Going to be fixed ever?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 05:19:17 pm »
+7
The majority of my fights against strength, two hand, armor crutch, kick abusers seem to follow this general format:

Get roughly 5 hits on him. Starts panicking and begins to s key. Start closing in for the kill, throws out a kick that I dodge ninety degrees to his side. Get staggered anyways and killed in one hit to the face. I get two letters sent to me: "gf".

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:32:19 pm by Phantasmal »
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »
+4
The majority of my fights against strength, two hand, armor crutch, kick abusers seem to follow this general format:

Get roughly 5 hits on him. Starts panicking and begins to s key. Start closing in for the kill, throws out a kick that I dodge 90 ninety degrees to his side. Get staggered anyways and killed in one hit to the face. I get two letters sent to me: "gf".

2handhero: Oh shit... I'm going to lose to a lame 1her... I beseech thee God of 2Hs... Please imbue my foot with the power of the hurricane! Let my foot be propelled forward with such momentum that the air around my foot become a force for Good and 2hness so that I might one shot this foul enemy who has bested me in skill!
*2handhero Oooo||============> Superior 1h Player*

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 07:10:03 pm »

Get roughly 5 hits on him. Starts panicking and begins to s key. Start closing in for the kill, throws out a kick that I dodge 90 ninety degrees to his side. Get staggered anyways and killed in one hit to the face. I get two letters sent to me: "gf".
It is that hard to fight with full str armored superslowe enemy? it is so hard to avoid that kick?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 07:21:05 pm »
+2
From what I understand from his post, he means that you can't close in and punish a missed kick because of the area of effect + extra long lasting hitbox covers most angles. It's not really about how hard it is. It's like if you have a lost packet and the block on your screen doesn't match what the server sees and you get hit. There's a loss of control with inaccurate feedback (where is safe to move when a guy kicks and misses).

Instead of avoiding, the best option is to just hang back and gauge how far the kick is, even though what you see isn't the exact position.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 07:48:10 pm »
2handhero: Oh shit... I'm going to lose to a lame 1her... I beseech thee God of 2Hs... Please imbue my foot with the power of the hurricane! Let my foot be propelled forward with such momentum that the air around my foot become a force for Good and 2hness so that I might one shot this foul enemy who has bested me in skill!
*2handhero Oooo||============> Superior 1h Player*

*yawn*

While other players seem to at least try to create a sensible posts, you just seem to be crying constantly.

Skyrim UI

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 07:56:17 pm »
From what I understand from his post, he means that you can't close in and punish a missed kick because of the area of effect + extra long lasting hitbox covers most angles. It's not really about how hard it is. It's like if you have a lost packet and the block on your screen doesn't match what the server sees and you get hit. There's a loss of control with inaccurate feedback (where is safe to move when a guy kicks and misses).

Instead of avoiding, the best option is to just hang back and gauge how far the kick is, even though what you see isn't the exact position.
When you can find reasonable answer/explanation, others just cry or whine,
after all  agree kick now is retarded.

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 08:09:47 pm »
*yawn*

While other players seem to at least try to create a sensible posts, you just seem to be crying constantly.

i was just re-enacting the scene phantasmal described. happens all the time though. many players will start throwing kicks if they are struggling with you because with the goofy reach, radius and active timer on it... its not hard to get lucky and land it. thus they can reverse a losing fight and turn it into an easy win... not through skill but through hitting the kick button out of desperation... its just not a good mechanic.

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 08:20:14 pm »
+2
I think that kick's original purpose was to impede facehuggers, get yourself out of enclosed areas with enemies, and get past an opponent's defense.

I believe that nudge does all of these much better in a more balanced way.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 08:30:03 pm »
Chambering before the guy kicks will get him hit. If the guy is so careless and just tries spamming kicks, you should predict that and maybe try to chamber?

PS. I also think that kicking is broken. You can kick too early after your attack got blocked. You should go off balance and be unable to perform a kick so early after being blocked, not to mention the length and shiet... You may say whatever you want at the lack of blocking while kicking but I guess horizontal blocking could be kept just so it would force people to use planned overheads on the kicking players. Also the habit of kicking sometimes helps you a lot and sometimes you regret you have this habit and it gets you killed all the time, just like chambering habit, especially vs very good players that don't fall for easy tricks.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:34:01 pm by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 08:31:53 pm »
My problem with kicks are the same issues we all have with ranged: it's only bad when you're forced to chase them. This is why the most common kick fanatics use longer weapons. Currently, the easiest way for me to counter kicks is to stand still when I sense a kick coming, and always work the angles. Still, it's not always enough when I'm using a one-hander or other short weapon. I imagine people like Phantasmal have no defense against punters besides backing up or surprise attacks.

At first, I experimented with chamber kicking reliably. I got to the point where I could do it about as well as I could normally chamber, but the problem is that it starts to dominate the fight. The only tell the kick has is the left foot twitch, and keeping your eye on that takes your attention from all the other tricks in any fighter's sleeve. The moment your opponent realizes what you're doing, he's going to focus on taking you down sans savate.

A return to the old kick, or some way to limit the area of effect/hang factor of the kick would prevent this muay thai menace, though this might turn one-handers into flavor of the month post Van Damme nerf.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 08:49:21 pm »
I think that kick's original purpose was to impede facehuggers, get yourself out of enclosed areas with enemies, and get past an opponent's defense.

I believe that nudge does all of these much better in a more balanced way.
nudge doesnt usually do jack in latter case because they block again nearly as soon as you finish the nudge.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 08:50:43 pm »
Not with a teammate. It can leave people disoriented, too. At least it did for me a few times.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 09:02:10 pm »
Not with a teammate. It can leave people disoriented, too. At least it did for me a few times.

yeah, but you know you cant really rely on anyone else than yourself and your clan mates in this game, or mates at least.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 09:16:27 pm »
+1
There is a lot of exaggeration on the actual zone of effect of kicks.

Its very easy to miss, and everytime you do you give a free hit to your opponent.
When you dont, you have a free hit for yourself.
Seems fair.

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 09:34:52 pm »
+1
It is that hard to fight with full str armored superslowe enemy? it is so hard to avoid that kick?

You are almost forced into kick range with 70 length weapons.

I would like there to be more prediction involved in kicks (smart placement) rather then the current rotation/cone based method. It only seeks to reinforce the str and armor archetype that exists in cRPG because you take much less risk to throw a kick then any agility based build. I guess I can't blame them for spamming kicks (I would in their situation) but it is becoming ridiculously easy to do. The option of chamber kicking is much more risky in my opinion as well. If I read the situation incorrectly and kick, I will most likely be one shot or black barred.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:51:05 pm by Phantasmal »
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.