Author Topic: Suggestions to re-balance throwing.  (Read 26362 times)

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions to re-balance throwing.
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2011, 11:02:43 am »

p.s. cheap-shot i lurv yer drawrings :)

Thank yew. Question. When you begin a round do you get a red message saying that your wpf is too low?
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2011, 06:59:33 pm »
Yes!  :P  Constantly.  And only since the last patch.

Edit -

I know I suck, but I hadn't read about the WPF/PT thing in your OP until just now.  :P  That is total bullshit - so all my PT over a certain amounted is totally wasted?  Why would they kill-off high-end PT when so few of us were there and really not getting that far with it in terms of K:D?  If they want to force melee and archers, why have throwing at all?  Weird stuff.  Guess I'll have to totally respec.  :P
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:02:06 am by dontgothere »

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 09, 2011, 12:14:46 am »
Yes!  :P  Constantly.  And only since the last patch.

Edit -

I know I suck, but I hadn't read about the WPF/PT thing in your OP until just now.  :P  That is total bullshit - so all my PT over a certain amounted is totally wasted?  Why would they kill-off high-end PT when so few of us were there and really not getting that far with it in terms of K:D?  If they want to force melee and archers, why have throwing at all?  Weird stuff.  Guess I'll have to totally respec.  :P

I respeced. I mean I respeced and ended up going pure throwing again, but I pretty much haven't spent points since level 24 waiting to see what the verdict is. I'd recommend you grab some axes or spears instead of the lances for now and not respec until after the next patch.

My guess is that you are probably only running with an effective PT 7 or 6 even though you have 12 points in it. The damage on every weapon was reduced, especially the lances, so you are getting hit with the huge lance damage nerf as well as a huge damage drop because you're not getting your full powerthrow.

Just try out a different throwing weapon for a while until the patch. Pretend you are a mid 20's level character like I am. Or you could pick up a crossbow and actually get some kills while you wait. No need to change your character for that.  :lol:
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
« Reply #228 on: June 09, 2011, 12:19:13 am »
Full inventory of rocks until next patch.   :twisted:

Thanks for drawing attention to this nerf -- I had no idea it was so severe.  :o

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2011, 09:07:27 pm »
Bumping this thread in hopes of dev discussion or even an idea of what is currently being considered. I feel like I've been putting a lot in, and wasting my breath here. It's an odd business model to ask for donations but to also not care about player confidence in the projects development. Why is there even a game balance discussion forum if you don't actually use it for game balance discussion?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #230 on: June 15, 2011, 01:27:50 pm »
It has already been said over 9000 times that throwing is gonna get buffed next patch.

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2011, 01:42:10 pm »
It was obvious as soon as i saw okinleaks with throwing spears on his back ;D
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Miahn

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2011, 03:47:54 pm »
PErsonally? I believe you SHOULDNT TRY TO BALANCE MOUNT AND BLADE. .. SEriously. Some weapons are Strong, some aren't. but WHY the hell would you nerf these Throwing weapons when you've already made it so that Shields that SHOULDNT block, can block something 2ft away from the shield?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2011, 03:51:22 pm »
you've already made it so that Shields that SHOULDNT block, can block something 2ft away from the shield?

lolwut?
 :rolleyes:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Miahn

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2011, 11:38:30 pm »
When you get into tier 4 shields, you'll aim above their head, about a foot above their head. And it'll still catch the arrow. Same with stuff like the metal buckler. It's a tiny thing. It really shouldn't be able to block the arrow that came at your head unless it moves.
Quite a few of these, like the plated shield have wider physics than they do graphics, or it's that they 'cover' more than the shield can.

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2011, 12:05:07 am »
It has already been said over 9000 times that throwing is gonna get buffed next patch.

Yes but there is a MASSIVE difference between that and actual constructive discussion between the devs and players which is the point Cheap_Shot was making...

Bumping this thread in hopes of dev discussion or even an idea of what is currently being considered. I feel like I've been putting a lot in, and wasting my breath here. It's an odd business model to ask for donations but to also not care about player confidence in the projects development. Why is there even a game balance discussion forum if you don't actually use it for game balance discussion?

A post a fully agree with. It is a very odd course of action and one which seems to have been specifically chosen rather than a simple case of forgetfulness, other examples being things like there never being patch notes.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2011, 12:21:09 am »
Yes this is about the size of it. /\/\/\

So lets discuss it. What changes will you be making? The only definite thing I've heard is that you're removing our best weapon from the game.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2011, 12:30:47 am »
Yeah, Miahn, I know what you mean but that's really no big issue. Can be even good, if you just want to chuck throwing axes at his shield to make it break.

After playing a 2h/javelin hybrid to lvl 30 (100 2h wpf, 140 throw wpf, 5ps, 5 pt) I can say it's still certainly viable if you use your shots tactically. I.e. throw if you have enough time and want to play save, or throw into big groups - this often kills one giving you a big advantage when outnumbered. It is also great at defending vs. cavalry. This is actually one of the things I dislike. Thanks to their slow projectile speed (probably) they get a huge damage vs. charging horses and it's a guaranteed oneshot, but you throw from pikerange actually (*). And they aren't great at defending teammates from cavalry, you can stick the two shots you have (yes you have 3 but no way are you fast enough to hit 3) into a paper horse and rider that's going sideways/away to you and still see him kill your teammate (and sometimes run around for the entire round making 10 more kills because it were just scratches) - nevermind that hitting the maneuverable horses with that speed and accuracy is quite hard in the first place. So yeah, add more accuracy and shot speed to javelins, but keep other buffs really small. The idea of a dedicated ranged who has to get nearly into 2h range to hit reliably is kind of broken anyway. If he is strong you dodge 10 shots and then move in to kill him and get shotgunned. A dedicated range user should use it from some range. But yeah, I've been lobbying for that for ages, so call me biased.

(*) And it's exactly the same for melee and axes. I've killed many people in 2vs1 with an axe, but in all of these instances I waited and moved close to throw the axe at them in the right moment. I always thought, well, great, but I could just have used a halberd with unlimited ammo for that. From longer range it is a terrible risk your teammate steps into the shot when you can't do nothing about it.

edit: Also, instead of reducing all stacks to 1 slot, rather make axes and javelins 2 slots, with more ammo. No huscarl shield rambo immune vs. cav please.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:37:33 am by EponiCo »

Offline Team_Jacob

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2011, 12:35:17 am »
Yes this is about the size of it. /\/\/\

So lets discuss it. What changes will you be making? The only definite thing I've heard is that you're removing our best weapon from the game.

This.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #239 on: June 16, 2011, 05:28:27 am »
When you get into tier 4 shields, you'll aim above their head, about a foot above their head. And it'll still catch the arrow. Same with stuff like the metal buckler. It's a tiny thing. It really shouldn't be able to block the arrow that came at your head unless it moves.
Quite a few of these, like the plated shield have wider physics than they do graphics, or it's that they 'cover' more than the shield can.

Funny.  I have 5 shield skill, and use the brown heater shield or elite cav shield and notice that I get shot all the time both above and below the damned thing.  ManofWar has said the same, even Balb has mentioned this since the shield nerf along with many other shielders.  With my archer and my xbowman I shoot people above and below their shields as well, even (especially) the buckler shields.

Of course haven't used the plated shield so perhaps that one is broken, though I really wonder because the guys with heavy board shields are getting shot through/around their shields as well nowadays.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?