Author Topic: Suggestions to re-balance throwing.  (Read 26363 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions to re-balance throwing.
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2011, 08:46:09 pm »
Well I'm not gonna try and stop anyone :P CRPG seems to be doing better and better these days :D
Yeah since crpg uses a very similiar system to drugs, to make people addicted; it won't be at all. But in this case farewell to me, and a few people who are invulnerable to get addicted.

Edit:
The throwing nerf was the best thing that happened all year. lol
Yes, for robocops cheap shot drew.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:50:13 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2011, 09:10:03 pm »
PT already influences shot speed and thus range alot.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »
PT already influences shot speed and thus range alot.

Really? That's good. I haven't noticed it as is though. What's the formula for that?

Edit: Modified the discussion list to reflect new info.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:11:26 pm by Cheap_Shot »
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Shpongled

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • Totally shpongled, mate...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Shpongled, Merc_Shpongebob_Tightpantsh, Merc_Shpongtastic
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2011, 03:17:26 am »
Yup.

When the patch hit I had mw lances and was having a blast, even if i had to use war darts 4/5th of the time to save up to pay for them. The entire naked wardart grind was fun in itself, and was worth being able to use my lances the occasional round.

Then I log in and instead of a sword and 9 lances which I could re-use, I had a sword and one lance which didn't kill anybody and I couldn't pick up again if I missed. I quit for about a week, then came back and respecced my looms to a sword and light xbow. This was infinitely more effective and fun.

I have now started a 1h throwing + shield character, and I simply do not see how it is feasible. I am going to try, but combination of stack size, slot use and the necessity of low power throw reduces the effectiveness from previous patch by, I would estimate, about 90%.

Halve stack size = 50%

Double slot cost = 25%

Half powerthrow (10 > 5) = 12.5%

Add in wpf restrictions for armor and the lack of any other thrown weapons on the ground.

It is a sorry, sorry day for throwers.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I gotta turn down my merc application as i was in a pub and would be of no use to you. Maybe it's good for you in the end, although i was motivated to see the first merc's defeat ever in strategus."
 --- Beauchamp

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2011, 03:20:19 am »
Cant remmeber the last time i saw a thrower  :shock:

Anyways good luck  :wink:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Timotheusthereal

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Hey there, oh tharr!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ser_Timotheus_Brune
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2011, 09:53:33 am »
Are you some kind of comic worker C_S?

Thus I agree mostly with your points of buffing throwing!

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2011, 03:18:10 pm »
Newest research showed that:

actual_shot_speed = shot_speed * sqrt((PT * 0.1) + 1.0) * 1.2

That means a PT 10 thrower has about 140% starting projectile speed compared to a PT 0 weakling.
That means with neglecting friction and with starting+end point of the throw at the same height the maximum throw distance(45 degree angle) would increase by a factor of 2.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:24:05 pm by Paul »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2011, 11:23:33 pm »
and this was always the problem of powerthrow.

It adds:

projectile speed
projectile damage
unlocks higher damage weapons

I dunno if it also adds short time between throws..

At the same time wpf had minimum impact compared to powerthrow.

My suggestion was to do a behind the interface multiplier of throwing wpf, at the same time nerfing throwing weapon damage generally. Then you would be able to choose if you would be a high damage or high precision thrower by choosing an agi/wpf build or str/powerthrow build.

But not both..

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:29:29 pm by Thomek »

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2011, 01:21:29 am »
So by the same logic bows should become less powerful the more accurate you get? :P
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 03, 2011, 01:23:42 am »
There already is a "behind-the-scenes" multiplier for throwing wpf, just like with crossbow skill.

Offline victis honor

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Victis_honor, victis (alt), HoboWhitaShotgun (alt)
« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2011, 05:02:09 pm »
Sadly since the nerf nuke hit throwing i have not had as much fun playing as before the patch.  I tried staying a thrower a few weeks after the patch hit but i gave up on it even as a gimped i whas not usefull.  I coud understand the reduction in stacks (12 heavy throwing axes + a 2hander is a bit much) but the way throwing whas nerfed is just stupid.  The same thing as archers woud have been enough and whas thus handled by the slot system, the accuracy and range nerf alongside it  whas just to much. In fact the accuracy shoud have been increased looking at the ammount of ammo we have not decreased, using 2 slots will give you 4 shots fo prety good weapon or 8 wardarts, looking at the other ranged it gives you 24 steel bolts or 30 bodkin arrows if using the biggest (slotwise) weapons, if using the standard crossbow or strongbow it also gives then a melee weapon alongside all that ammo even a 2hander....   Throwing also increases the danger to the player that is not involved in crossbows or archery since they can fire from a safe distance, throwers are usually in the thick of it or close enough to it to need good armour and melee to support it, this takes atleast 1slot and most of the time 2 (polearm, 2hander or sword and board).

There are two options to throwing, remove it alltogether (all but done in current state anyway) or give it some love next patch, there are plenty of examples given that will not make it overpowered.

ps. almost exclusively  used heavy throwing axes since i coud use them, i never used lances.

edit

whats whit having a 4 throwing spear stack but only 3 jardis-javelins?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:07:21 pm by victis honor »
noooooooo not awesome anymore!!

Offline Joelturuz

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ratchis
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2011, 07:31:02 pm »
whats whit having a 4 throwing spear stack but only 3 jardis-javelins?
Well, all throwing weapons which have a quiver showing the ammo have been made to have only as much ammo as a full quiver shows. The jarids also have 4+ damage and +1 missile speed.

I finally tried throwing myself and I have to agree that it feels quite weak. While I prefer them as sidearms and think that the throwing axes having just 2 ammo is fine as I've used them in melee as well quite succesfully, having a quiver of darts have just 4 is ridiculous. That's not enough to even kill anybody. And don't get me started on 2 slot javelins with only 3 shots.

In my opinion Throwers should have to make a choice (or maybe some kind of mix) about either having good damage and little ammo or more ammo but less damage. Same could apply to accuracy, to a certain extent.
Here's an example:
How things are now
Axes
- little ammo (2)
- good damage

Darts
- still little ammo (4)
- low damage

How I'd prefer things to be
Axes
- little ammo (2)
- good damage

Darts
- more ammo (6?)
- low damage

Haven't thought on how to deal with high damage and a bit more ammo having throwing weapons such as the throwing spears. I do understand why getting 4 ammo for 2 slots isn't attractive though.
If the slots would be dropped to 1 for all throwing, including the "better" ones, it'd go a long way. After all, throwing lance only has 1 ammo now and it might not even hit and jarids still need at least 2 shots to kill (if none of those end up in the shield, that is).
Naturally weapon's secondary mode affects how good it's other aspects are. Can't have the cake and eat it too.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 07:50:14 pm by Joelturuz »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #222 on: June 05, 2011, 10:31:50 pm »
There already is a "behind-the-scenes" multiplier for throwing wpf, just like with crossbow skill.

Aha :-)

So it shouldn't be a big deal to tweak it then.. :-) Any chance of telling us what it is?

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2011, 10:36:15 pm »
and this was always the problem of powerthrow.

It adds:

projectile speed
projectile damage
unlocks higher damage weapons

I dunno if it also adds short time between throws..

At the same time wpf had minimum impact compared to powerthrow.

My suggestion was to do a behind the interface multiplier of throwing wpf, at the same time nerfing throwing weapon damage generally. Then you would be able to choose if you would be a high damage or high precision thrower by choosing an agi/wpf build or str/powerthrow build.

But not both..

agreed... my 3 pt thrower does no dmg - fair enough, but yet it has no accuracy either! (i have quite alot of wpf)

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
« Reply #224 on: June 08, 2011, 04:13:53 am »
hi :(

There is probably one build out there that does more throwing damage than I do, but there is probably not more than one.

ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD:

STR:  38
AGI: 3

Throw wpf: 107

Athletics: 1
PT: 12

After retire, though, I'm going to aim for 13 PT and 0 Athletics.

I haven't played in a couple weeks cuz my pc broke, but before I left the patch definitely hurt.

Before it, my throwing lances would insta-kill 1/2 the time.  Now it's more like 1/6, and harder to aim.
But the worst thing is that the throwing spears and the like take-up two slots in the inventory -- I could live with any nerf besides that, because then at least I still had enough shots with enough damage to make it workable.
Now there's really no point to doing anything but loading-up on war darts and spamming from a distance, which, without any melee stats, is about as effective as being a low-level archer.

I think that "low intensity" throwing needs to be reigned in, but for pure throwing builds these changes are crippling and that's not cool.

p.s. cheap-shot i lurv yer drawrings :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:18:00 am by dontgothere »