Author Topic: Nerf Kicks  (Read 8593 times)

Offline STR_KpuBopy4ka

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf Kicks
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2013, 09:48:10 am »
+2
Coz of stun mechanics ppl who use str build can kick and don't worry about free hit. Аll they need is just hold swing for a while.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2013, 10:46:41 am »
+2
Gifs of kicks!

(click to show/hide)
I don't know why you perceive kicking people during their attack as a problem, that is exactly the point of the kick. People walk backwards when defending, move forward when attacking, which is why you attack, he blocks, you anticipate how he will move in on you and place the kick there. Kicking him before or during his attack. That is just how it works, even in Native. Of course apart from that I fully agree with the sentiment.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2013, 04:56:30 pm »
+1
Fixing the area of effect, and the active duration of the kicks would be nice...should have been done months ago when they came out with the new borked kick mechanics.

Also cmp replied on irc to me:

cmp: it's not that hard, but it requires a new engine build

He's way too busy with M:BG to dick around with kicks or a new engine build for CRPG, and I'm cool with that.  He said maybe in dec/jan he might have some time, but I honestly don't care...I'm eagerly awaiting M:BG. 

I just wish it was as easy as "going back" to the old kicks (I'd be okay with blocking while kicking again). 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:00:27 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2013, 07:14:09 pm »
+4
I'm amazed that an entirely new mechanic (nudge) was added, and it was largely balanced within a couple months. But kick is still totally unbalanced.

Hardly anyone even bothers with nudges, because kicks have much greater potential reward, and very little risk (thanks to huge arc and long duration). Half my nudges phase right through my target despite being perfectly aimed, meanwhile you can kick someone that's nearly behind you with relative ease. 

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2013, 10:07:36 pm »
+5
I still believe that nudge is pretty much what kick was supposed to be.

Nudge helps open up enemies to attacks from teammates.
Nudge pushes away facehuggers rather effectively, but missing results in a potential hit. It also helps you from getting boxed in.
Nudge is used pretty well by most melee classes and can be used quite creatively.
Nudge helps break through shield walls and some defensive formations.

Kick belongs in a game that uses combos and frame advantage numbers. It's easier for me to facehug and try to kick an enemy and get two hits from it. Got hits on and received hits from this technique when fighting some good players in duel. Kick has a legacy in the game, so it would piss a lot of people off if it was removed, but I feel it can't help but overlap with how the current nudges work.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2013, 10:22:00 pm »
Nudge is (badly) done in the module system by me while the kick changes are done in WSE2 by cmp. That are two different levels of implementation, the latter being the higher(engine) one. Only cmp can do wse stuff, so he is the only one who can change kick mechanic. There can be crude workarounds be done with the MS though but I dunno if there are any MS coder devs active atm apart from DTV.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2013, 11:14:53 pm »
+2
Nudge is (badly) done in the module system by me while the kick changes are done in WSE2 by cmp. That are two different levels of implementation, the latter being the higher(engine) one. Only cmp can do wse stuff, so he is the only one who can change kick mechanic. There can be crude workarounds be done with the MS though but I dunno if there are any MS coder devs active atm apart from DTV.

CMP SAVE US.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2013, 03:26:24 pm »
It is not the process that matters, what matters is the result of the work and the professional approach.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2013, 03:36:15 pm »
+3

Paul, I think most of the community appreciates your work on nudges; it has added a lot of depth to cRPG combat without upsetting balance. I just think that nudge is under-used and under-appreciated because kick is so powerful; players don't want to give up their ability to kick for 6s by attempting a nudge.

Can a separate kick cooldown be added without WSE2? It appears to be roughly 2 seconds right now, when it should probably be more like 10s (as long as it has the huge arc and lengthy duration).

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2013, 05:07:25 pm »
I couldn't use the same crude kick cooldown overwrite that is used after a nudge but I don't think I should. Kick mechanic is cmp stuff. He started messing with it, so it's his thing.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2013, 05:21:09 pm »
+2
I like nudge better anyhow except we cant remap it so I hardly use it - I bet that requires cmp though?
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2013, 05:28:40 pm »
+1
The lack of manpower for WSE2 development seems to really hurt cRPG. Obviously cmp is going to focus on the new game, because that pays the bills. Are there any developers of other warband mods with WSE2 proficiency that are willing to help with cRPG?

Offline Admiral Ballsack

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
  • Weewoo
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boners
  • Game nicks: l33tplayer, KbW Aflack, Admiral_Ballsack, PS_Bob
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2014, 12:51:38 am »
+2
BUMP
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 287
  • Infamy: 2721
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2014, 01:53:36 am »
+2
Seriously? Infestation of little kingrimms, 15/30 shielder builds with tiny damaging weapons which can hardly be blocked while having superior athletics and almost unbreakable, 360 autoblock shield. And you want kicks to be nerfed? Begone with you, phool!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2014, 12:17:34 pm »
+4
Seriously? Infestation of little kingrimms, 15/30 shielder builds with tiny damaging weapons which can hardly be blocked while having superior athletics and almost unbreakable, 360 autoblock shield. And you want kicks to be nerfed? Begone with you, phool!

Crossed the bullshit. 1h picks aren't harder to block than long axes. Agi shielders don't have superior athletics to an equivalent 2h build, because they have at least 4 less skill points due to shield skill. And finally their blocking angle is attack-independent which means is it is effectively smaller than that of a weapon.

Please do tell me how a skilled 15/30 2h with a GGS is easier to kill than a skilled 15/30 shielder with steel pick and elite cav shield.