Author Topic: RIP Dedicated throwing  (Read 24568 times)

Offline Chivalry

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Eduras
  • Game nicks: Sir_Nicolas
  • IRC nick: Sir_Nicolas
Re: RIP Dedicated throwing
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2011, 12:23:22 pm »
Dedicated throwers are easily the most annoying class in the game... (more than HA) but as long as no sacrifice 2h/throwing hybrids don't become reborn I think throwing should be buffed.
My favorite variety of pie is Strawberry Rhubarb, what is yours, fine sir?

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2011, 12:46:56 pm »
Care to explain why you think "Dedicated throwers are easily the most annoying class in the game."?

I'll even give you some points to counter:
  • Have to get ridiculously close to hit anything.
  • No shield so they are prime targets for archers, crossbows and even other throwers.
  • Countered instantly by a shield.
  • Very little/no wpf or power strike for a back up weapon to defend themselves with.
  • Light armour so as to try and have a little more accuracy.
  • Limited ammo.
  • The most expensive weapons cost/repair vs damage output of any weapon in the game

Just a few points are based on how throwers were BEFORE the last couple of patches, so I could make the list a lot lot longer if I was to use their current state but as you say you think they do need a buff I felt it would be wrong to use the current stuff.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:48:39 pm by AlbaTiger »

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2011, 07:36:59 pm »
Throwing worked just fine with heavy armor alba.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2011, 08:07:27 pm »
Ah, maybe I got my patches a little mixed up...that said I never counted tincan throwers as dedicated throwers, I counted them as arseholes.
 :wink:

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2011, 11:23:02 pm »
Also unlike the other two ranged playstyles, throwing becomes less effective the more points you put into it. Because of the wpf hike, someone with powerthrow 10 is unable to wear armor or use a backup weapon. Instead of making hybrids less attractive it had the reverse effect and made them the only option, and hybrids are what people have been complaining about the whole time.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2011, 11:44:31 pm »
Nope, it gets better, you just have to level wpf and pt. With 110 wpf, 6 pt, and 45- 50 armor I don't get any message. People say it's 14, so I should be able to get to 8 pt/9 pt. I don't know why you are so fixated on 10 pt, ask those 10 athletics archers how effective their build is.

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2011, 12:48:52 am »
Of course Eponi does it not seem a little unfair that archers with PD 10 are viable, melee with PS 10 are viable, and yet throwing with PT 10 is totally unplayable?

Also power throw 6 is still just inside hybrid range in my opinion. 8-10 is where a dedicated thrower should be sitting the range depending on their need for other skills like riding.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2011, 02:05:44 pm »
Who cares? I am sick of all this "OMG Hybrids rawr" shit. The whole point of crpg is to make a character you want to play.

And the facts are 1) X bow was always a more powerful secondary with much less skill points needed than throwing so stop freaking out. 2) It is sucky to be a thrower now whether you are hybrid or not.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2011, 03:57:47 pm »
Nope, it gets better, you just have to level wpf and pt. With 110 wpf, 6 pt, and 45- 50 armor I don't get any message. People say it's 14, so I should be able to get to 8 pt/9 pt. I don't know why you are so fixated on 10 pt, ask those 10 athletics archers how effective their build is.

No it really doesn't. I had powerthrow 10 before I retired out of frustration since the nerfs made it so that I was only getting an effective powerthrow 7, 6 with armor.

A lot of people think athletics should have more of an effect and I can't honestly say they're wrong, since I have no experience with athletics. I certainly know how effective two handers with powerstrike 10 are, as they run at me in plate armor and one hit me, even when I had iron flesh 8. Seems like they're more then effective. There should be an actual benefit of getting to powerthrow 10 like there is for IF 10, or PS 10, or PD 10 etc.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »
Of course Eponi does it not seem a little unfair that archers with PD 10 are viable, melee with PS 10 are viable, and yet throwing with PT 10 is totally unplayable?

Also power throw 6 is still just inside hybrid range in my opinion. 8-10 is where a dedicated thrower should be sitting the range depending on their need for other skills like riding.

True it isn't fair for all people that have such a char (like every other build that is gimped for a reason, but it is more important to not have anything that breaks the game then having every build viable). But it doesn't at all mean that throwing is impossible now, you can do fine with PS 6, 7, 8, maybe 9 if you really focus.

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2011, 09:06:10 pm »
I fully agree that Power Throw 10 is far from the main issue here but to say that "you can do fine" with any sort of dedicated thrower just now is simply incorrect ... unless doing fine means maybe getting 1 or 2 kills on people or horses if you are lucky, and perhaps wounding or distracting a couple of others.

Not that I think throwers should be gunning people down by the dozen or anything but tactically they have almost no place what so ever at the moment.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2011, 09:41:40 pm »
Whatever you feelings may be about dedicated throwers vs hybrids, I don't think anyone can argue that the shear amount of nerfing that throwing received was warranted. Well I mean people will and DO argue. I mean no one retarded. No other class has been nerfed as savagely. I'd really like to know why the balance team decided to do that. A nerf here or there would have been fine, but they hit every single aspect of throwing. The only thing left literally would be to make throwing weapons cost more then horses or plate if they want to make a coffin out of nails.

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2011, 10:56:38 pm »
That's their idea for next patch sorted then Cheap_Shot.
 :(

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 12:14:09 pm »
ugh even if they fix throwing, i would have to try to get a loomed lance again... maybe they should redo a few heirlooms too lol

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2011, 01:01:12 pm »
I had retired my thrower (got to 31) and decided to go for a different build while throwing was trashed, but I just couldn't do it, I got up to lvl 15 then retired again and have gone back to throwing.

Damn the nerfs, one thing that the horrible state of throwing does mean is that EVERY kill feels like an epic victory, every lucky headshot is worthy of song!
 :mrgreen: