Author Topic: Online Tabletop (D&D, etc.) Players Wanted  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
Online Tabletop (D&D, etc.) Players Wanted
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:22:08 am »
+5
Recently, the FCC D&D crew fizzled out. It started with Dungeon Defenders, and has carried on with Secret World. Accordingly, I need to get my fill of role-play somewhere, so I'd like to DM a campaign for a group selected here. If you're interested, please reply with a statement about why you'd enjoy this kind of thing, as well as a suggestion on what system we'll use. I'm limited to weekends for this- please state your availability.

I'll explain more if there are bites.

We'll play online with TS and a virtual tabletop. We'll post our session recaps here. Might even dramatize it here, for everyone to laugh at.

I'm open to suggestions on system and setting, but that'll probably be settled with a poll once I get an idea of what people are interested in playing. I'm willing to learn with a group. I just prefer DM'ing because I've got character ADD.

Systems I'm fairly familiar with, in order of current interest:
Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying Haven't playtested it yet, really want to.
Marvel Super Heroes Thanks Granpappy!
Cinematic Unisystem - this is my area of expertise. I've got lots of settings for it.
Pathfinder D&D 3.5, improved.
Legend D&D 4.0, improved. Sort of.
Star Wars SAGA edition Not bad.
D&D 4.0 Like an MMO in tabletop form. I thought it was kind of clunky. It's what we ran the FCC campaign on.
BESM d20 Fails the moment optimization ('powergaming') is involved.
GURPS Always seemed like a boring system to me. I'd still do it.
RISUS Actually the best way to introduce people to tabletop RPGs, in my opinion. Great for a party night. Not so great for an ongoing campaign.
D&D 3.5 - Next to the Unisystem, I've probably spent more time with this.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:19:36 pm by Kalam »

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
Re: Online Tabletop (D&D, etc.) Players Wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:48:08 am »
OH finally. I wanted you guys to finish up so I could join in and try it out. :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:51:08 am »
If you can find it, you should check out the Marvel Super Heroes system. It is very easy to understand, but very powerful, flexible and adaptable to any setting you might want to use, not just Super Heroes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Super_Heroes_%28role-playing_game%29

As a DM, it lets you easily translate some crazy stunt a player wants to pull into a percentile dice roll. It easily allows players to develop their characters based upon their powers/skills by coming up with new moves that you as the DM can make them work over time to slowly improve their % chance of pulling off said maneuver. Of course, you may decide they can never pull something off for whatever reason and not both telling them until the 18th time they fail, should you be that type of DM  :twisted:
Types of moves might be like Capt. America's ability to bounce a shield and hit 3 separate targets. If a new character that had a throwing weapon tried to do the same, you might require them to roll 3 or 4 or 5 d10 and get all 10's. If they try it 10 times then you might require them to get a 9999(9) or better. If they actually succeed once, then you might make them roll only 2,3, or 4 d10 after that (making it slowly easier, but still very difficult).
When sticking to Super Heroes, the system also makes it pretty easy to judge feats if you are familiar with the comics. For example, each attribute also has an example from comic book lore. SpiderMan has Incredible strength and has been seen lifting a bus, so if a character with Incredible strength tries to lift something, you can quickly translate a stat to a "real world" situation, rather than getting lost in a bunch of tables trying to correlate a stat with an object.
Basically, it makes it so that you can use the system to enhance game play quickly and easily, rather than the system getting in the way of the role play.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:56:35 am »
+1
Some of us folks from choasland ran a Dark Heresy campaign a while back. It's a decent system with unlimited potential for stories, but it seems like it might only become really fun if you're familiar with the 40k universe.

As a result of that campaign, I always try to keep an up-to-date dice roller plugin for teamspeak, just in case. I am down for this and am probably available most of the time.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:22:13 am »
Sounds like fun. I'd join for some online tabletop...

I'm available weekends from around 1pm-3am (PST)

Been years since I got down on some AD&D, and I would probably have to re-learn rules and such but I'm pretty flexible.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:59:24 am »
If you wanna go more freestyle with the world, consider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolemaster. It has the best combat system I've ever seen in an RPG. You can also combine it with another RPG system.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:35:17 am »
I'd be up for something like that. Depends on the times you would wanna play.
I've DMed and played D&D 4th edition

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 12:35:23 pm »
Can noobs be allowed in?

I've wanted to play a tabletop rpg, but I've never had the time or people to play with
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 06:32:25 pm »
+1
What's wrong with GURPS?  Dracul's been doing Online "tabletop" games for a couple of years now, but we started with the GURPS system and have pretty much forged our own.

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:24:48 pm »
Some of us folks from choasland ran a Dark Heresy campaign a while back. It's a decent system with unlimited potential for stories, but it seems like it might only become really fun if you're familiar with the 40k universe.

As a result of that campaign, I always try to keep an up-to-date dice roller plugin for teamspeak, just in case. I am down for this and am probably available most of the time.

I've never really been able to get into Warhammer, for some reason. I mean, I enjoyed hearing about it as a kid, but the books just didn't appeal. Still, I did enjoy the RTS.

If you can find it, you should check out the Marvel Super Heroes system. It is very easy to understand, but very powerful, flexible and adaptable to any setting you might want to use, not just Super Heroes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Super_Heroes_%28role-playing_game%29

Basically, it makes it so that you can use the system to enhance game play quickly and easily, rather than the system getting in the way of the role play.

Thanks for reminding me of that! I remember hearing lots of buzz about it, as well as the Smallville RPG (an example of where I don't think you have to judge a system by the setting) that came out in the last few years. I guess it's about time to see if it lives up to the hype.

If you wanna go more freestyle with the world, consider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolemaster. It has the best combat system I've ever seen in an RPG. You can also combine it with another RPG system.

I'll have to check it out.

Can noobs be allowed in?

I've wanted to play a tabletop rpg, but I've never had the time or people to play with

Yes.

What's wrong with GURPS?  Dracul's been doing Online "tabletop" games for a couple of years now, but we started with the GURPS system and have pretty much forged our own.

I guess it's my personal association with games I've been in that used it. It seemed...lackluster, compared to the dynamic style of a lot of other systems. Some might argue that it's because it's for you to design your own setting with, but I'm certain that's not why I don't find it as fun. The mechanics themselves lack an element of drama- which, I know, can be fixed by the way you use the system, but still. It seems almost as generic to me as World of Darkness was.

Everyone who's interested in playing: should I put a poll up?

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:17:58 pm »
I would be very much interested.

Heavily time-dependent though (yurop), and limited experience (used to do a Swedish one a bit with a few friends, but it didn't really get anywhere).

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 10:33:15 pm »
Alright. If all who are interested can pick 3 systems in order of their own interest and send it to me, we can start narrowing it down and get to the times/etc.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 04:53:29 am »
Our system is really laid back, there's still some imperfections (I have relatively minimal experience with the original DND) but we've pretty much refined it only needing a couple of 1d20s, a 1d6 and some percentile dice.  Sometimes we use Rolz but other times I'll just roll for everybody (simplicity's sake).

I don't really like using classes, either, so I generally leave it open and let them sort of free-form their own rolls.  Attributes (Strength, Intelligence, etc) ranges from -3 (terrible) to +3 (great) and can be changed around at the start and later on as they progress.  Some story with gear, in long campaigns I make them work for it instead of just giving it to them. 

And then for combat, I use percentage on ranged weapons (with modifiers).  For melee confrontations, I roll for "initiative" and then I take the defensive bonus for the defender and the offensive bonus for the attacker and add them to their rolls.  I roll two d20s (one is the attacker's roll, one is the defender's roll).  If the defender has a defensive bonus of -3 (no armor, injured) and the attacker has an offensive bonus of +3 (quality weapon, skilled) then these numbers would be added to their rolls.

Sorry to leave a wall of text behind, but I figured somebody might find that interesting.

edit: oh yeah, the bogey system is pretty great too  :lol:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:58:20 am by Artyem »

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 03:51:53 pm »
I've never played a D&D or tabletop rpg game....but I'd be interested in playing if people were organizing something.  I'm typically on a couple nights and then off a couple nights
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 05:38:01 pm »
It's been too long since I have played an Actual D&D tabletop game.  I have been playing a bit with Arty and the other Dracul Nerds and it is fun.

Although, I just like the complexity of an actual D&D game (Not the mention the world)

The only thing that makes me a little sad is why you do not have 2nd Edition AD&D on your list.

I know it is fairly simple, but it is my favorite for that reason.

I am not fairly reliable due to my ever-changing schedule.  Although, I do wish I could play alone with you guys :)