Author Topic: How do I block?!?  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Ellie

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • It's a traaaaaap
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DLB
  • Game nicks: DLB_Ellie, Ellietrap, Ellie_Rocks_Your_World
  • IRC nick: Ellietrap
How do I block?!?
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:43:02 pm »
+5
I've been playing for a while, but I still just can't manage to be decent at blocking. I suck. I'm lucky to block 1-2 hits from anyone, and when people start feinting and spazzing out like they're having a seizure, well... I'm lucky to get any at all!

Are there any useful tips or tricks to get used to it besides 'just practice', because i've tried that a lot on duel before and well.... If anything I feel worse  :oops:

I'm not even effective with a shield. I just get kicked or nudged or swung on before i can block again after i swing...
Nerf everything. Buff naked fist fights.

Offline Chosen1

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 1016
  • cRPG Player
  • din do nuffin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Castile
  • Game nicks: Chosen1, Matteo, El_Cid
Re: How do I block?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 07:51:30 pm »
I'm not that good at melee myself, but I can tell you that unfortunately the only way to become decent at melee is just to keep playing and playing. Watch the more experienced players in melee, try to copy what they do. Recognize patterns in your opponents feinting.  After enough practice, you'll get to a point to where blocking becomes effortless. I hope I was some help :c
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings cmp, I would feel pretty bad too if I was a useless no life virgin who spent his adulthood making video games LOL
its ok though, now i have more time to - all the posters i dont like
But I wrote a poem that I would like you all to read
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:05:05 pm »
+18
Play normal Warband(Native) and start the tutorial. Spar with the bots there and focus on manual blocking. Start with the slowest combat speed in the options and increase it as you progress in skill and reflexes. Block while standing still first, then try it while running around. When you can defend against everything on fastest while moving around without breaking a sweat you can block in crpg too. Then play on the duel server and ask someone to train with you.

Offline Normanguy

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:33:45 pm »
Don't appreciate the seizure comment.

How ever if you want to start getting used to blocking, start to recognise feints and such and just practise on eu3 duel server or native and you'll gradually get better with time.
All i'm saying.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:53:21 am »
+2
Are there any useful tips or tricks to get used to it besides 'just practice', because i've tried that a lot on duel before and well.... If anything I feel worse  :oops:
Try to stay calm, try to keep your camera steady, and try to keep your eyes focused on your enemy rather than on your character. Wait until you're sure which direction to block before starting your block. Also, try what Paul suggested above.

I'm afraid that reading words can only really do so much. There is no getting around sinking hundreds of hours into practice. You're getting into Warband very late in its lifetime, so you have a lot of catching up to do.

Offline Ellie

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • It's a traaaaaap
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DLB
  • Game nicks: DLB_Ellie, Ellietrap, Ellie_Rocks_Your_World
  • IRC nick: Ellietrap
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 02:35:54 am »
+1
Try to stay calm, try to keep your camera steady, and try to keep your eyes focused on your enemy rather than on your character. Wait until you're sure which direction to block before starting your block. Also, try what Paul suggested above.

I'm afraid that reading words can only really do so much. There is no getting around sinking hundreds of hours into practice. You're getting into Warband very late in its lifetime, so you have a lot of catching up to do.

I've been playing off and on for almost two years. Usually more off than on, sadly... so when i do start getting better, i end up being horrible again when i do come back :C
Nerf everything. Buff naked fist fights.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 05:39:51 am »

I've been playing off and on for almost two years. Usually more off than on, sadly... so when i do start getting better, i end up being horrible again when i do come back :C
Warband isn't really forgiving of long breaks. I play on-and-off too (although I played quite regularly for my first two years), and every time I come back I have to spend a number of sessions re-acclimatizing.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:52:32 am »
+1
I suggest one or a mix of the following.

1. Practice a fucking lot.
2. Ask good duelists for tips and help while practising.
3. Join a clan with at least 1 competent duelist and ask them for tips on TS while practising with them.
4. only play range, cav or super IF armour crutch str build and pray people glance... or maybe a really high athletics build and pray you can stay out of their range.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:04:23 pm »
+4
I actually went to the native singleplayer arena in the towns and practiced chambering there. Now I can do it most of the time at will. Setting the AI to good actually makes them block a few hits from time to time, they can also chamber you a lot.

Learn to control your mouse clicks, when I started out I was clicking right mouse a few times for one block on account of spazzing out making me die. Now I just learned to hold the right mouse button until I see their attack direction change. It especially helps not to spaz out when you see someone feinting just relax and block whichever whey he is swinging. It's like dancing when he moves a certain way you move a certain way, when he stops you stop, ( this is also good against holds ) when he swings you block a certain way, just follow his movements.

If you get good you can realize when someone is double feinting in the same direction and just hold your mouse block don't click more than once unless he changes his attack direction. I usually wait for the visual que of when he has actually changed attack direction not when I see him pull back his swing.

TL;DR
Learn to control the urge to spaz out and press your mouse button a million times trying to overcorrect yourself when someone is feinting. Blocking can only be learned over time, it will help to make an alt whos melee and to practice against bots or in the duel server.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »
Just run around the battle server and only focus on blocking.  Even as a dirty scum shielder who rides a horse most of the time, I've been able to get decent at manual blocking.  If you're fighting 1v1 against most players (not necessarily the better players) you should be able to block most of their swings.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 09:03:17 pm »
+1
Start by going to duel and finding guys low on the score board and duel them. Then when you have the basics down you need to start fighting players that are better than you and just keep practicing. I think a few hours in duel will teach you more than weeks in battle just because you do the same stuff over and over and have little down time. This is just for learning some 1v1 fighting and blocking though, you can pick up bad habits just dueling. Dueling can be boring too, so don't get burned out doing that imo

You will probably develop your own technique, but for me I always tried to separate blocking from aiming the block. So concentrate on getting the right block direction before thinking about the orientation of your character. Just face the right basic direction, get the right block, then aim the block. This way you aren't trying to do too much at once and you can think more about the block direction first rather than doing all at once. Try to use movement to give you more time to block too, so if a hit is coming from your right side, move left while getting the right block and hold it while aiming it until it hits.

Best way to avoid feints if you're new is to assume people are feinting all the time and always hold the block until it hits (you hear the clash). Some feints are quite common, like right swing into stab, so if you see someone do that a lot you know its probably a stab coming, but don't assume it is.

You don't always need to change block when its just side swings. If you turn a certain way while holding a left block you will block the opposite side attack too. This is handy if you don't want to risk changing block direction

You can turn down your sensitivity if you find it hard to get the right direction
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 09:07:19 pm »
+2
I've been playing for a while, but I still just can't manage to be decent at blocking. I suck. I'm lucky to block 1-2 hits from anyone, and when people start feinting and spazzing out like they're having a seizure, well... I'm lucky to get any at all!

I'm not even effective with a shield. I just get kicked or nudged or swung on before i can block again after i swing...

If you're NA I'll hop on duel and bring a few practice swords, so you can level up your reflexes and I can give you some tips on your footwork.

One tip I can give is to watch the enemies hands instead of their blade, focusing on the blade can get disorienting if they are spam feinting.

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 09:40:39 pm »
+1
It doesn't matter how much you practice if your settings are wrong.

Zoom out (-) and increase mouse sensitivity a lot.
Higher agility (and athletics) makes it easier to block as well.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 03:24:59 am »
+1
Increasing mouse sensitivity isn't what I recommend. I lowered mine just a tad from the middle, it helps to not have it high because if you are new to blocking your view will move everywhere making it even harder to block.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 06:09:39 am »
+1
Watch their feet.  Since you have to move in the same direction as a hit to get maximum damage, most players almost always move with their strike.  So even if they're feinting another way, their feet will tell you where it's really going.  The only downside is that its a little tougher to tell against 1h, and overheads and thrusts both benefit from moving forward.  Most players are left/right heavy, though.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄