Author Topic: How do I block?!?  (Read 5523 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: How do I block?!?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 08:36:15 pm »
There are lots of play styles that don't require getting proficient at blocking:
-Archer/Horse Archer
-Xbow/Horse Xbow
-Thrower/Horse Thrower
-Lancer
-Spec 18/24 or similar, wear light armor, and just backpedal and use a long weapon (glaive/greatsword/etc)
-Spec 36/3 or similar, wear plate, and just never stop swinging

So if you don't feel like learning how to block, just play one of the above, and you'll still have fun.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 08:57:05 pm »
You do need to block as a lancer, even if you try to avoid other cavalry you'll get blind sided some time when you're in the thick of it.  But I cheat and use a shield, so I don't ever have to think about it, just right click when in danger.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 09:25:57 pm »
Also, a great way to learn to be consistent at blocking when you can already fight is to go to the duel server and ask people mouse-only duels. No movement, no kicks/nudges etc. just attacks and blocks.

It also separates men and babies

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 09:53:01 pm »
+2
Also, a great way to learn to be consistent at blocking when you can already fight is to go to the duel server and ask people mouse-only duels. No movement, no kicks/nudges etc. just attacks and blocks.

I'd like to see a Cyranule/Miley "mouse-only" duel. Actually, I wouldn't. It would last until one of them got carpal tunnel and had to go to the hospital.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 09:54:23 pm »
Miley/Cy mouse only duel would only work if they were using weapons that aren't blockable, but you can still chamber with (like the rondel in secondary mode).  Or until one of them had a muscle cramp. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 11:22:22 pm »
There are lots of play styles that don't require getting proficient at blocking:
-Archer/Horse Archer
-Xbow/Horse Xbow
-Thrower/Horse Thrower
-Lancer
-Spec 18/24 or similar, wear light armor, and just backpedal and use a long weapon (glaive/greatsword/etc)
-Spec 36/3 or similar, wear plate, and just never stop swinging

So if you don't feel like learning how to block, just play one of the above, and you'll still have fun.

36/3 with great maul coming up.

jk.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 11:23:51 pm »
I think you'd be better off with a longsword or morningstar with a 36/3 build
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 03:45:43 am »
+1
I think you'd be better off with a longsword or morningstar with a 36/3 build

Anything but a Rondel should work pretty well. I did 6 gens as 33/9 with a great long bardiche/long bardiche, and my right mouse button went largely untouched.

Offline Fredom

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
  • Coming from a life of crime.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Fredom ; FredomNumbaNine
  • IRC nick: Steam name: Fredom[NumbaNine]
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 09:54:10 pm »
+1
Most of cRPG players play for more than 2-5k hours. Mostly you learn it by finding a person who shows you how to do it ( in my case, 3 years ago^^) or you learn it yourself. Then just select manual block and play. After a time of playing you will get bettwr. Just try up-side-side-down block combination at the beginning of the round. That's what I do/did to get warm before meeting an enemy. I hope I could help you a little bit but here are so mqny posts, you will get a good suggestion^^
Fredom, are you British? -> You got an American accent!- Merc_Sjarken

Offline Ellie

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • It's a traaaaaap
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DLB
  • Game nicks: DLB_Ellie, Ellietrap, Ellie_Rocks_Your_World
  • IRC nick: Ellietrap
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 08:01:07 am »
36/3 with great maul coming up.

jk.

I actually did that with a long maul once. Was... not the brightest idea ever :D
Nerf everything. Buff naked fist fights.

Offline Carthan

• Duke
  • Renown: 612
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • Mad scientist and creator of QUANTUM-KAFEIN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BlackCompany
  • Game nicks: Vandal (Carthan)
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 02:37:15 am »
I am not sure if anything similar has been posted above but here are some things that may help.
~Make a skip the fun with near pure strength and lots of ironflesh (powerstrike optional) that way you can survive longer.

~Disable automatic repairs and run around in anything you want for free (Items will degrade though). A good amount of people should be afraid of someone running around in very heavy armor.

~Focus on peasants (maybe some tincans too), they love to spam and should be slow enough to be good for practice.
BEWARE FAKE PEASANTS!

~Do whatever you are good at, chances are you will do alot better with your own style than narrow advice from strangers. Or atleast try to find a good balance.

~ Why not combine everything above, should be either informative or hopefully entertaining. Hey maybe both.
Yes, been posted before. Rather than practicing swinging a weapon, it would be better to go 1 hander and learn a martial art that specializes in takedowns, because that's all that really matters in that sport.

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2013, 03:23:19 am »
+1
My biggest problem in learning to block (while I am still not too good at it) was that I would make "overcompensating" mouse movements. For example, to block right I would move my mouse like 3 inches to the right (rotating my player) and be completely out of position for a leftside block. Try to make your mouse movements concise, which will allow you to better respond to feints (and feint spammers). Also, learn the animations for each swing. I usually only bother blocking feint spammers if their swing is 25% of the way completed (which means it is probably an actual swing). Lastly, learn to use your movement to your advantage in combat. If you are moving the right, your opponent is most likely not going to swing at your leftside (due to a horrible speed bonus), limiting the number of efficient attack directions.
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2013, 05:21:45 am »
+1
When I first started learning the game, a friend of mine (Racecar) started playing at the same time as me. This made things a lot more fun, since we could both measure our progress by how long our duels lasted. You might consider trying to do the same.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2013, 06:17:00 pm »
I'd like to see a Cyranule/Miley "mouse-only" duel. Actually, I wouldn't. It would last until one of them got carpal tunnel and had to go to the hospital.

It would be a god-awful duel only because cyranule relies on hilt slashing which requires footwork (need to be up close and in a BJ-giving position) and miley is an S key hero with either a long 2h or pole. If they didn't move it would be as lame as any other slightly-competent blocker not moving. Or miley would just pick a flammy and sit right outside cyranule's lolstabbing range.  :lol:

(click to show/hide)

On the topic of learning how to block, I like to bring my new recruits / less-melee-proficient friends up to speed by doing the following training method:

1) A mouse only duel where you just block and your partner tries their best to hit you... resorting to massive feinting, spamming, and even holding. You just block until you die.. its really easy to block when not moving around and having just one thing to focus on, their weapon.
2) Once you get proficient at mouse only, do the same exact thing (where you only block still, and they spam you) but now with footwork and WASD added. This makes it significantly more challenging, but once again you just need to see past their tricks and focus on their weapon. (of course if they are a kicking nerd, be on the lookout for kicks :D ...or just make the rule that nothing but WASD + mouse allowed).
3) Go back to mouse only, but this time you attack as well as blocking.
4) Now add movement, same as step 2 but you are once again trying to attack.. basically this would be a full-fledged duel now. The only recommendation is that perhaps they take it a little easier on you to start if their skill level is far above yours.
5) Go duel other people, have your partner / mentor watch you, and then they can see from a bystanders perspective your strengths / weaknesses, and if you need any final adjustments before you are ready to go and take on the world!

If you want, I have no problem helping you out, just send me a message.

Good luck with your training!

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2013, 06:48:23 pm »
Well that's the point of mouse-only duels, you can't compensate errors and weak blocking just by movement and spam.