Author Topic: The old days! 2010  (Read 9523 times)

Offline Johnnyfirs

• Earl
  • Renown: 351
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Rain Meat
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Game nicks: Hugtand, milkman_whos_had_enough
Re: The old days! 2010
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2013, 05:32:00 pm »
Johnny have you ever played Nordic village and experience your team camping in the "XP" barn?  Whether in crpg, or in native, it's lame as fuck.  Now think about that game play being encouraged by the old XP system.  You really think you're missing out?
I only do that when I play LAN with friends against bots, it's a nice place to fight 100 bots, when you're only 3-4.
But it sounds somewhat fun, I wouldn't know tho.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

www.youtube.com/johnnyfirs
My feelings regenerate at twice the speed of a normal man.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2013, 09:46:50 pm »
+3
Johnny have you ever played Nordic village and experience your team camping in the "XP" barn?  Whether in crpg, or in native, it's lame as fuck.  Now think about that game play being encouraged by the old XP system.  You really think you're missing out?

You're missing out on not worrying about your multiplier and having most people fight at the same spot instead of delaying the round.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2013, 09:49:47 pm »
Besides, xp barn didn't happen that often and if it happened the whole chat was full with "XP BARN TROLOLO!" and everyone knew about it. It was fun.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2013, 09:57:31 pm »
People camping that barn has been a pet peeve of mine since the beta's in Warband.  Any game mechanic that encourages that, would be something I actively crusade against.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2013, 09:58:00 pm »
Besides, xp barn didn't happen that often and if it happened the whole chat was full with "XP BARN TROLOLO!" and everyone knew about it. It was fun.

There was also XP bridge. It happened fairly often iirc. Not all the time obviously but I remember it often.

But yeah.. everyone knew what XP barn/XP bridge was and eagerly clashed in a giant blob of melee. Fun times.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2013, 10:26:24 pm »
Xp barn/bridge/whatever was fun, craziest melee's ever, was even fun as a peasant since you tried to stay close to the fighting while staying alive to get as much xp as possible.

And yeah, not having to worry about multiplier. God I fucking hate multiplier.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2013, 11:14:58 pm »
claymore with 120 leght
90 speed
and 49 cut was my fav weapon of all time

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Thassadar

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2013, 10:11:12 am »
I was there long time ago too . As my brother account : Prophet . And after that as Helzerein, to the Ducs clan . Me and my brothers has a clan before that named Lord_ .

And then I took the name of Thassadar :)
En taro adun !!

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2013, 10:16:34 am »
I was a Templar at first back in the days. Templar_Myth. It's been long as shit ago.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2013, 10:59:43 am »
+2
XP tower on Lochhaven ATS anyone? Hilarious map and very profitable. All the big boys were fighting on the top floor while the peasants on the bottom floor enjoyed all their xp safely. It's that keep prop that made everyone walk slow as fuck back then, fighting was so silly in there.

(click to show/hide)

Offline RobertOfDrugsley

• Count
  • Renown: 210
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ANGST
  • Game nicks: ANGST_Robert_of_Drugsley, ANGST_Waldorph_the_Salad, ANGST_Monkey_Fling_Poo
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2013, 11:21:42 am »
XP tower on Lochhaven ATS anyone? Hilarious map and very profitable. All the big boys were fighting on the top floor while the peasants on the bottom floor enjoyed all their xp safely.

Ohh that takes me back! I remember standing around in that room, hiding behind some flimsy shield, watching the XP tick in while hoping against hope that the tincan rapefest above wouldn't find its way down the stairs.
I find the idea of defending someone who isn't been violently raped unacceptable on moral grounds.

Offline Armycook_of_KSantiago

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • No mercy! No retreat! No remorse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2013, 01:56:30 pm »
Arena-like maps only, and everyone not naked with 2h axes are vote-kicked...
CN server back in the days.
Dinner is served!
(click to show/hide)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2013, 02:13:59 pm »
+3
A lot of the 2010 - 2011 maps were really good, now we got a lot of lame maps.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2013, 03:00:56 pm »
+9

That might be my autism speaking, but i actually prefer 3-5 great, balanced maps, to 30+ random "because it's new" maps... :(

Is it not best to play a well known map, where everyone - archers, x-bowmen, cav and infantry knows where to run, in order to play their role to full potential?.. I primarily play siege, so it might be different with battles, but there are some really broken maps out there in siege mode... I am not talking about glitchy floors and stairs, huge invisible "frames" around wall opening, where projectiles get stuck, or even map's esthetics ( LoTR-style castles, wrong scaling, mix of different castle "sets" ), what annoys me the most, is the SIZE and spawn points for defense:

Why are the majority of new maps so huge?! I takes up to 30-40 seconds to run up to the flag as attacker! WHY?! That is not the way you balance a siege map... And ridiculous spawn points for defense, as a result of gigantic maps - it often does not pay off to run up to the flag, since it takes forever to get there.. There are some maps, where defenders are unable to run up to the "first" outerwall, since there is no way down :( Why is there an outerwall with a gate, if it is impossible to defend it?! What is the point?..

Imo the perfect map layout is - 2 small side-ladders, 1 big/main/front ladder, gatehouse with an easy access for defenders ( you can reach it in 10-15 sec after you spawn ANYWHERE as defender ), a backdoor, and a keep with a flag and 2 entrances. Nothing else really. All spawnpoints for defenders should be within the central "keep". Attackers should spawn next to the outer wall, with 5 sec running time max. MORE ACTION, less boring running, less spreading of the teams.

Wrong section for map-balance issues, but i am a gangster, YOLO

Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2013, 07:16:02 pm »
+1
I agree with your points Armpit, I know all the siege maps I made have been geared towards making defenders spawn close to their flag and attackers close to the castle. Sadly not everyone does this and some people go overboard with the size of their maps. This way attackers have to run much longer to the flag and defenders have to run much longer to even get to defend their flag as well. This is not necessarily unbalanced, but more boring definitely. That said, a 30-40 seconds run time as the fastest route to the flag for attackers is actually pretty good. Much lower and the map gets quite biased. 5s spawn + 30s run (att) = 30s spawn + 5s run (def). Can't go much lower than 30 seconds as it is impossible to have every defender spawn on top of the flag.

I might create a 'siege map guidelines thread' or something at some point, as creating action packed maps is seemingly not everyone's goal.

That might be my autism speaking, but i actually prefer 3-5 great, balanced maps, to 30+ random "because it's new" maps... :(
This is mostly just you, even though we had 80 battle maps on the server for the past 5 months, people readily complained about always playing the same maps and it being so boring. In any case, feedback on which maps you find good and which you find very, very bad is in fact very appreciated. Just head on over to the scene editing board.

Well that is a load of bull with nostalgia glasses. I am fairly sure the rotation hasn't gotten any worse, seeing as rotation management simply consists of removing bad maps, adding new ones, removing the bad new ones, and so on. Which means that the 60 or so we have left are in no way worse than the maps that were on in 2010-2011. We might still have to weed out some of the bad new ones, but apart from that the rotation is fairly high quality.

Of course your feedback over which maps you find lame, and especially suggestions for readding some of those old maps you seem to fondly remember are much appreciated.