Author Topic: 1h Stab animation change... ?  (Read 10783 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: 1h Stab animation change... ?
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2013, 02:51:12 am »
+1
Oh cmon Mala. You can still use that weapons with a shield. Thats the thing that can block arrows. Thats the thing that can block mutltiple attacks at once. Thats the thing blocking all directions of attacks without special effort. Its hard to discuss serious about a topic if 35 cut of the bastard sword are the reason why 1h should have particullary superstabdamage without keeping all the other benefits in mind.
1hers always think they have the worst possiblities of all the classes. That´s what it has been 12 months ago. They were already good before they got a 2h-like stab.

I am not even saying revert the stab cause it was crap for sure. I am just saying that there are multiple 1h which need readjusted stabdamage.

Learn to block.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2013, 02:57:59 pm »
Its funny like all those people behave. Probably those "2h-my old friendgs" or whatever you call them are 1h now cause i dont think anyone is interested in a serious discussion.
My only statement was that i think that some of the stabdamages have to be looked at and all of you go full retardmode saying i want an overall 1hnerf and that i am a stupidfuckbitchwhore or something like that ;) Just like those 2h-people you all cry so much about.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2013, 03:37:45 pm »
+2
Oh cmon Mala. You can still use that weapons with a shield. Thats the thing that can block arrows. Thats the thing that can block mutltiple attacks at once. Thats the thing blocking all directions of attacks without special effort. Its hard to discuss serious about a topic if 35 cut of the bastard sword are the reason why 1h should have particullary superstabdamage without keeping all the other benefits in mind.
1hers always think they have the worst possiblities of all the classes. That´s what it has been 12 months ago. They were already good before they got a 2h-like stab.

I am not even saying revert the stab cause it was crap for sure. I am just saying that there are multiple 1h which need readjusted stabdamage.
Blocking arrows is an advantage, but if you know how to play and got more than 5 ath and don't wear plate blocking multiple attacks at once isn't a huge advantage.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2013, 06:47:48 pm »
+1
I approve, I'll give you babies later Tydeus.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2013, 07:18:05 pm »
+7
Its funny like all those people behave. Probably those "2h-my old friendgs" or whatever you call them are 1h now cause i dont think anyone is interested in a serious discussion.
My only statement was that i think that some of the stabdamages have to be looked at and all of you go full retardmode saying i want an overall 1hnerf and that i am a stupidfuckbitchwhore or something like that ;) Just like those 2h-people you all cry so much about.

It's just that you can't nerf the stab damage much without completely destroying some of those weapons. 1hs don't have much variance in their damage, so you can't really nerf anything by more than 1 point. Long espada has 27 cut, espada has 25 cut, side sword has 29 cut. Side sword can probably go to its old stats without much trouble, but I think the others may have problems if they were nerfed, since they would just become a watered down side sword or italian.

They work similarly to spear weapons now with low cut damage instead of low blunt, lower reach with side swings, and better natural reach bonus with stabs (final range of stabs are probably similar). Spears also completely stop opponents briefly when they hit, so the two weapon types have their own perks that make them unique.

Edit: And I think 2h's vastly superior cut damage and stab reach offsets similar stab damage.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:30:59 pm by san. »

Offline Lethwin Far Seeker

• Earl
  • Renown: 363
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: The House of Tiercel
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2013, 07:38:21 pm »

Edit: And I think 2h's vastly superior cut damage and stab reach offsets similar stab damage.

Give this man a cookie.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2013, 12:00:14 am »
Blocking arrows is an advantage, but if you know how to play and got more than 5 ath and don't wear plate blocking multiple attacks at once isn't a huge advantage.

It's a huge advantage in siege where it allows you to grab the attention of 3 enemies in a chokepoint so that your allies can swarm in.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2013, 03:29:58 am »
+3
Eh, shield is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade IMO. When I have to choose between 7kg more weight of armor or a shield, that becomes difficult which is truly better.

I used the spathion (+3 has 29p stab, 34c swing, 97 speed, ~103 reach) for a week and the stab was quite nice, but it's just so clunky. I switched back to the stabless liuyedao and performed much better (astonishingly so). I think it's safe to treat stab and swing damage equally for 1h since they seem quite balanced now. Because of the balance of damage types, side sword may overpower a few other 1h swords a bit now, but 29-32 cut is still mediocre. I think the espadas and the shorter stab weapons are in a good spot.

Overall, side sword and grosse messer seem balanced, but the swords in-between seem a little underpowered now compared to those two.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:52 pm »

Some of the stab damages have to be looked at because a few are ridiculously low, yeah. That's not what you meant, and by nerfing the best 1h you are nerfing 1h as a whole. A shield isn't grounds for abysmal weapon stats anymore. Years ago when people were bad at blocking it was though.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2013, 09:36:21 pm »
+1
A shield isn't grounds for abysmal weapon stats anymore. Years ago when people were bad at blocking it was though.

I swear even the 100+ speed shields are vastly slower to block than weapons are, at least within a short window after releasing your block. I "block feint" (release block for a split second to force a holder to release their swing) a lot, and I'm amazed how often my 103 speed shield doesn't re-raise fast enough. Not to mention it seems shields are easier to crush through than weapons, and the aforementioned weight penalty.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2013, 10:16:53 pm »
+7
I swear even the 100+ speed shields are vastly slower to block than weapons are, at least within a short window after releasing your block. I "block feint" (release block for a split second to force a holder to release their swing) a lot, and I'm amazed how often my 103 speed shield doesn't re-raise fast enough. Not to mention it seems shields are easier to crush through than weapons, and the aforementioned weight penalty.

First off, the shield animations have absolutely nothing to do with blocking. The animation is just for show.

I think a lot of issues with "attacks going through shields" has to do with the terrible shield implementation in m&b:
  • It's much more difficult to judge a shield's blockable area than blocking with a weapon. When you block with a weapon, the weapon actually moves giving you visual indication of the area that it covers. A shield remains stationary and it is held in such a way that makes it easy to mis-judge the centerpoint of your character.
  • A shield's surface area is completely different from its blockable area. (vs melee) No matter what shield you have, it covers the SAME exact area as manual blocking does. Again, it makes it easy to mis-judge the actual blockable area.

As far as crushthrough, I have a few theories:

• Shields are a pretty steep investment in points. Most classes have more points to spend and on average will have higher strength, making it easier to resist crushthrough.
  • Shield weight makes you slow as hell, not to mention that you move turtle slow when going backwards with a shield up.
  • When blocking, shielders tend to hold and manual players tap. A manual blocker will often move backwards faster because of this. Thereby dramatically reducing the speed bonus of the mauler. Because the mauler is doing less damage, it's easier to resist. Shielders with their turtle-slow, shield-up backwards movement, barely reduce the speed bonus.

Shields are still very useful utility items. You are practically invulnerable from the front unless you make a mistake. Still, I REALLY wish they would reduce the weight of shields somehow. Either a straight reduce or by having shield skill reduce the effective weight. The MASSIVE penalty they put on movement speed makes me not want to use them.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »
+2
First off, the shield animations have absolutely nothing to do with blocking. The animation is just for show.

I'm not even talking about the animation; when you are holding block, release it for a split second then re-block (to entice a holder to release their swing), their swing usually goes right through the block. This doesn't seem to happen with weapon blocks.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2013, 11:02:33 pm »
+2
I've also noticed that too, Phew...I've always chalked it up to my over-clicking (even though it seems like I hit block before they hit me). I think certain circumstances the shields do not block when they should be (i.e. same as manual blocks on 100+ speed shields)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2013, 12:32:58 am »
nvm

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2013, 02:12:49 am »
+1
I REALLY wish they would reduce the weight of shields somehow. Either a straight reduce or by having shield skill reduce the effective weight. The MASSIVE penalty they put on movement speed makes me not want to use them.

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!  :P

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.