Author Topic: Why oh why are 2h and pole arms still OP?  (Read 22537 times)

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
Re: Why oh why are 2h and pole arms still OP?
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2011, 04:12:16 pm »
Yeah, sometimes you have a lucky streak and you can catch multiple incomming arrows, but then another times your block is a bit off-center and fizzzz you are dead.

yeah... history tells that soldiers used to bring a magnetic dinner plate to counter arrows by catching em on the fly.

shield skill is not supposed to give you the "goalkeeper" ability. want to block arrows? heavy norman shield. want to protect your teammates? huscarl shield. want to spam feints? spamitar/buckler.

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2011, 04:02:19 am »
I play mainly 2H with a 1H/shield alt and I don't think that 2H are OP at all. Shielders aren't supposed to be able to get kills, they are there to support/protect teammates. Leave the killing up to the 2H/archers. I do agree partly with you though, spamming is definitely OP. The first 20 of my kills were spam kills, and I still do spam sometimes, especially against shielders because of that feeling of hopelessness when you face one solo. Implementation of fatigue for both 2H and sheilders would definitely fix this (no spamming, no turtleing).

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2011, 05:55:22 am »
I'm an archer and the force field does exist, but properly now. I can tell who has a high shield skill and who doesn't. If they don't, I can shoot them in the ankles. If they do, it scoops up the arrows, which only makes sense because someone who knows how to use a shield also knows how to lower it when an arrow is coming in low (or raise if high). It's not really a forcefield, just there is no animation to show a higher skilled player character making that type of adjustment.

Well... I dunno, I consider 6 shield skill "high" but perhaps I'm wrong there.  /shrug.  All I know is that I have zero chance to see the arrow coming at me, tell where it's going to hit, and adjust my shield that direction.  In 3rd person the arrow/bolt/throwing weapon travels too fast for me to tell and my character is in the way of my view 90% of the time.  In 1st person mode the projectile is still moving too fast for me to tell where it's going to hit.  I wave my shield up and down as fast as I can with my mouse in the hopes that I'll get lucky and "catch" the bullet on the fly.

Still, 6 shield skill seems "high" to me and I get shot in the ankles or above the shield all the time but I digress.

yeah... history tells that soldiers used to bring a magnetic dinner plate to counter arrows by catching em on the fly.
want to block arrows?
What fictional history did your professor teach?

Shielders aren't supposed to be able to get kills, they are there to support/protect teammates. Leave the killing up to the 2H/archers.

:rolleyes:

*Mind you I'm STILL rocking my 2her and polearm characters more than anything, but the level of anti-shield elitism and prejudice astounds me to this day*
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2011, 05:59:34 am »
I play mainly 2H with a 1H/shield alt and I don't think that 2H are OP at all. Shielders aren't supposed to be able to get kills, they are there to support/protect teammates. Leave the killing up to the 2H/archers. I do agree partly with you though, spamming is definitely OP. The first 20 of my kills were spam kills, and I still do spam sometimes, especially against shielders because of that feeling of hopelessness when you face one solo. Implementation of fatigue for both 2H and sheilders would definitely fix this (no spamming, no turtleing).

O if only I could go to the european servers, and show them some dam good one handing
Just a soldier

Offline Furax

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2011, 07:18:31 am »
Why are theese shielders such pansies that they allow themself to be spammed? Alot of players(stupid) will try to hit you until one of you dies without ever bothering to block. If you choose to not attack this player back and instead block until your shield breaks then die, you suck and deserve it.

However alot of other(non stupid) players will start there next swing incase you hesitate to start your swing, inwhichcase you will get "spammed" if you gave away your "attack phase" by beeing a hesitating yellowbellied pansy. HOWEVER, if you simply attack back, the first exampled player will get hit, the second exampled player will (try to)block.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »
Well... I dunno, I consider 6 shield skill "high" but perhaps I'm wrong there.  /shrug.  All I know is that I have zero chance to see the arrow coming at me, tell where it's going to hit, and adjust my shield that direction.  In 3rd person the arrow/bolt/throwing weapon travels too fast for me to tell and my character is in the way of my view 90% of the time.  In 1st person mode the projectile is still moving too fast for me to tell where it's going to hit.  I wave my shield up and down as fast as I can with my mouse in the hopes that I'll get lucky and "catch" the bullet on the fly.

Still, 6 shield skill seems "high" to me and I get shot in the ankles or above the shield all the time but I digress.

You don't look at the arrows, you look at how he is holding the bow/crossbow.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2011, 01:55:19 pm »

:rolleyes:

fail to get the sarcasm in it?

suggestion:

http://www.lifetutor.co.uk/

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2011, 09:24:36 pm »
O if only I could go to the european servers, and show them some dam good one handing

No need to worry.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2011, 09:26:48 pm »
No need to worry.

Ramses and a few others have it covered rather well on EU.

If I were you Man of War, I would be more concerned with showing the folks in Mount and Musket how to properly one hand  :lol: they could use a few more of your demonstrations!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2011, 09:28:59 pm »
If I were you Man of War, I would be more concerned with showing the folks in Mount and Musket how to properly one hand  :lol: they could use a few more of your demonstrations!

One handers there are god damn annoying. See them as slow two handers, not really one handers.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2011, 08:24:37 am »
fail to get the sarcasm in it?

suggestion:

http://www.lifetutor.co.uk/

I was commenting about your sarcasm.  Shields in history excelled in catching/protecting from projectiles until the age of gunpowder.

You don't look at the arrows, you look at how he is holding the bow/crossbow.

Strange thing is that I never see any noticable change in their aim when they're pointing a ranged weapon at me, unlike say a 2her where when he's spamming at my feet he's bent over in half like a retard.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Ironclaw

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2011, 11:25:21 am »
Skill or no skill fact is that 2h is faster, has more reach and dam. So be it but what is really annoying is 2h glitching hits trough shields and instant hits after block. Players who abuse those bugs regulary know what i am talking about.

Shield bash would be great addition to balance the game  a bit
Draw me not without reason, Sheath me not without honor

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2011, 11:36:49 am »
Skill or no skill fact is that 2h is faster, has more reach and dam. So be it but what is really annoying is 2h glitching hits trough shields and instant hits after block. Players who abuse those bugs regulary know what i am talking about.

1. 2h is not faster?
2. Glitching hits through shields or maybe you just lowered your block the same sec the guy hit you.
3. Instant hits, ofcourse, I do them all the time.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:37:57 am by Vibe »

Offline Ironclaw

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2011, 11:53:29 am »
1. Animations make them faster.
2.i am talking about move when 2h is facehugging you and hitting right trough your shield. Deniers are usually the worst abusers.
Draw me not without reason, Sheath me not without honor

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2011, 12:05:11 pm »
Thats just you failing at timing, and yea i played shielder and 2h so i know what im talking about
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.