Author Topic: The Great Long Lance (LoC) has to go.  (Read 5053 times)

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
Re: The Great Long Lance (LoC) has to go.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 05:14:45 am »
With everyone and their brother carrying a pike along with whatever shield and main weapon they want, its no suprise the LoC is popular amongst cav atm. But it is heavily situational and the slightest bump in the terrain can fuck it up.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline priest

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SR
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 12:09:54 pm »
+1
As a horse lancer using this it is incredibly situational which is why i carry other weapons as well.  It tends to be a bit unwieldy and the hit-boxes on it seem a bit off to me, but that might be a lag issue to do with the speeds I go with my courser (Sometimes i see the tip go through someone).  The cooldown timer is ridiculously long and other cav easily dodge it.  It is a weapon build almost specifically for anti-archery which currently is a problem because of the archers damage nerf.  But if an aware archer stands his ground and can count a hit on either the rider, or the horses head while the horse is at full gallop trying to one shot the archer, the speed bonus seems to make that a 1 shot kill, at least in my experience (and if the archer is at least in his 20's for levels). 

I am unsure if this  speed bonus mechanic actually works in this fashion, this is just my personal experience with being one shot, or having my horse one shot from under me by an aware archer.  This also assumes that due to upkeep these horses are the unarmored variety and the riders are in medium mail with a mid tier helm and the archer lands a decent shot.

I was actually thinking about downgrading down from the long to the regular great lance because of these hit-box issues and how unwieldy and slow the mechanics of it seem to be.  I think the length is both a strength as well as a weakness and it takes a lot of practice to get good with the weapon, but i don't feel that it is so imbalanced that it needs to be removed.  I would be willing to accept an increase in price however.

Before calling for a nerf because you died x amount of times from one type of weapon, make an alt and try it out for yourself, that's what I do and it makes you gain a real appreciation for how other people can get really good with their class setup.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 12:37:32 pm »
+1
As a dedicated cav guy, i say remove that shitty weapon for good. It outranges EVERYTHING in this game and doesn't require much skill to use (don't try to prove me wrong), with a light horse you can easily just couch it once, run  away and repeat with no risk. In massive cav vs cav fights it brings total randomness, because no matter how good you are , you can't always see 3-4 LoC coming from different directions.

There's already enough lances in cRPG : fast and short lance/light lance/spears, medium heavy lance, great lance for couching (still longer than heavy lance, but unused because LoC is miles longer).  There is absolutelly  NO reason for this weapon to be in the game. Period.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 12:41:20 pm »
+2
Everything is in the title, it's a gamebreaking weapon, as a footman, you are lucky if you can avoid it, but countering it with a pike is impossible.

Really? I've never had any problems. Chouched weapons are generally very easy to dodge or outmaneuver.
Don't.

Offline Ozwan

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 12:42:54 pm »
+1
Technically speaking it either needs to go or we need a proper counter since regular pike is too short. Adding longer pike would mean that inf vs inf combat would be affected too (people using longer pike for stabbing other footmen) so out of these two solutions removing the lance is better.

Cav is easymode enough without it.
In real life, when people insult me (and it happens very rare, cos I am a big guy), I often punch them in the face.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 01:03:32 pm »
+2
Agreed, I want LoC to be removed too. I can headstab pikeman with heavy lance, this is unnecassary.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 01:10:06 pm »
+1
It is completely irrelevant how effective the LoC is in total: the pure fact that there is a chance to kill a pikeman who is aware of you is enough of a reason to take it out. Period.  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1580
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 01:21:38 pm »
+1
Remove it.

Pikes are one of few ways of protection a footman has against cavalry. If you're a cav, you're not supposed to go directly on a guy holding a pike. You have to be creative. This weapon takes that creativity away. I've seen many idiots abuse it, never good cavs like Ujin do such a thing. LoC is truly a weapon for those with short d****, they need something long to compensate their lack of proper tool and technique to use it.

And please don't say I'm a cav and you're footman, I win, you QQ. Everyone is a cav these days, everyone has cheap horses, everyone has lances. It's not like it's used to be pre patch. Only reason why I'm not on horse these days is that I'm trying to collect as much gold as I can and even 6k horse can be costly for me sometimes. Cavarly isn't easy mode like it used to be but it still gives you mobility which in many cases can save your life (on foot you would certainly die in these situations).

Offline TomMyyY

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_TomMyyY
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 01:23:58 pm »
+1
As a dedicated cav guy, i say remove that shitty weapon for good. It outranges EVERYTHING in this game and doesn't require much skill to use (don't try to prove me wrong), with a light horse you can easily just couch it once, run  away and repeat with no risk. In massive cav vs cav fights it brings total randomness, because no matter how good you are , you can't always see 3-4 LoC coming from different directions.

There's already enough lances in cRPG : fast and short lance/light lance/spears, medium heavy lance, great lance for couching (still longer than heavy lance, but unused because LoC is miles longer).  There is absolutelly  NO reason for this weapon to be in the game. Period.

I totally agree, it's just a silly weapon. I have been playing on EU4 BT2 lately and somehow there seem to be a lot of maps with huge open plains (sometimes you have to walk for over a minute to actually encounter a tree) and you're just screwed if one of those LOC guys wants you dead and you dont carry 3 shields or something. Also because there were usually around 20-30 people in that server, one of those lances could really change the outcome of the battle by simply picking everyone off one by one.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 04:51:29 pm »
You really can't get many kills with this. Couching only so you need a large amount of flat ground, and if you miss your intended target it's going to take maybe 30 seconds before you can do another pass. Plus, you're nearly incapable of fighting against other cav.

So false. Make a courser with riding 6 with the LoC and some polearm wpf. With the courser insane sped, you an couch easily. And what's better against a slow plated charger than a LoC couched wich OS it.

Remove the LoC, its existence is just stupid.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Poetrydog

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Poetrydog, Fallen_Santa_Rudolph, Fallen_Poetryfox
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 09:30:15 pm »
+1
You really can't get many kills with this. Couching only so you need a large amount of flat ground, and if you miss your intended target it's going to take maybe 30 seconds before you can do another pass. Plus, you're nearly incapable of fighting against other cav.

Well you got more than one weapon slot  :wink:
Quote from: RamsesXXIX
Running around naked with 80 other guys.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 09:34:36 pm »
+1
Technically speaking it either needs to go or we need a proper counter since regular pike is too short. Adding longer pike would mean that inf vs inf combat would be affected too (people using longer pike for stabbing other footmen) so out of these two solutions removing the lance is better.

Cav is easymode enough without it.

As i don't like Ozwan, i agree with him totally in this case.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Stokes

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stokes52, ArcherStokes, and now by popular demand: ThrowerStokes
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 10:04:32 pm »
+1
As a player who plays cav and uses the (in my opinion) already ridiculously good (short) great lance, I agree that the Lance of Compensation should go.

I get pleeeeenty of kills with the great lance I don't even want to think about how over-poweredly retarded I would be using an LoC.

I personally won't use it as I feel it looks ridiculous, is overpowered, and fulfills a balance breaking role by out-ranging pikes with little to no risk or player skill needed. The normal great lance is already very long and fills the role of the long range couching cavalry weapon.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 03:30:07 am »
+2
Removed in next item update.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 04:57:13 am »
+1
Removed in next item update.

Very good news there, cmpx!  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!