Author Topic: Heavy armor needs a significant nerf to run speed and wpf  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
Re: Heavy armor needs a significant nerf to run speed and wpf
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 11:18:37 pm »
I don't know where these builds come from, i am a 1h with shield and throwing weapons and 48k only allows for medium to low armor. Sure you can get heavier armor if you use only 1 2h weapon and no shield. But that's already a tradeoff. (3 empty slots)

Edit : to clarify, the throwing weapons will be counted multiple times by the upkeep system, if they're used in multiple slots.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:23:25 pm by Ganon »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 11:45:32 pm »
I don't know where these builds come from, i am a 1h with shield and throwing weapons and 48k only allows for medium to low armor. Sure you can get heavier armor if you use only 1 2h weapon and no shield. But that's already a tradeoff. (3 empty slots)

Edit : to clarify, the throwing weapons will be counted multiple times by the upkeep system, if they're used in multiple slots.

Just geta  cheap shield for 2 h as it takes 6 arrows to even break those.  If you want more fancy weapons just go down to mail over plate only lose like 2-3 body armor and still weighs 20 lbs.  Heavy armor is way OP post-patch and needs some rebalancing done.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 11:52:29 pm »
Thought no one could afford heavy armor.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 11:57:58 pm »
Thought no one could afford heavy armor.

Black and the heaviest plate, unless they own fiefs or go in light armor 1/3rd the time.  But heavy mail and light plate is rampant and has a huge benefit without drawback compared to mid-tier and lower-end armors as speed and wpf are not seriously affected.  Cutting damage has made them invulnerable tanks even though less armor then black armor.  Right now they are more invulnerable to archers and swordsmen then black armor was pre-patch.  partly also because level cap so lower powerstrikes for non-strength builds that dont want to be tincans.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:59:21 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 12:06:04 am »
All this is the reason i'm running around with an heirloomed iron staff with my polearm alt, even though i prefer playing archer or my 2h/thrower. Blunt weapons is all you need.
But it's a shame to be "forced" to play one class if you really want to help your team.

Saw Urist mentionning arrows would get a little damage buff, so that at least archers can kill light/med people more easily, since that's all we can kill now. Dunno if it was a troll post though, since when someone asked when that would be implemented, he replied "december 2014".  :rolleyes:

But i agree tincans and other heavy armor should have a bigger speed penalty, since cut deals close to nothing to them, even though all archers/1h(no thrust)/2h(no thrust)/axes deal that damage. And since upkeep is a bit not expensive enough. (imo)
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Rogue_Eagle

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
archery
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 12:30:07 am »
current WPF limits can't support archers with longbows who require greater PD :(

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: archery
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 12:37:05 am »
current WPF limits can't support archers with longbows who require greater PD :(

Depends, dont think you get less wpf when you have more PD now

Offline Webb

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Taylor Gang
  • Game nicks: Ink_My_Whole_Body
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 01:09:25 am »
kesh is right, you could do some sort of stamina thing so that way the plated peepz can run for a certain distance before getting tired
You know what it is

Offline SgtAlex86

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 01:21:53 am »
my pike goes trough light plate like it wasnt there... cant see the broblem  :twisted:

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 02:29:29 am »
Just geta  cheap shield for 2 h as it takes 6 arrows to even break those.  If you want more fancy weapons just go down to mail over plate only lose like 2-3 body armor and still weighs 20 lbs.  Heavy armor is way OP post-patch and needs some rebalancing done.

i cant take u seriously when u make comments like that

i presume ur talking about 0 req shields? the ones i use break in 2 hits from arrows atm

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 02:55:16 am »
I agree with the OP this game demands that everyone wears cloth armor, it would be unfair otherwise and too capitalistic, and we don't like capitalism. Just remove all metal armor except chain and give a huge malus so that you cannot move or fight with it.

Offline panderson

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The White Company
  • Game nicks: Pandersonsonsonsonson_WCo
  • IRC nick: Panderson
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 03:24:03 am »
I've traded down from my usual Churburg Cuirass, Great Long Bardiche, Heavy Lance, Shield to a Mail Shirt, Long Vouge and Lance.  I have no problems killing tin cans either on horse or foot.

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 03:33:42 am »
I would love to see more pronounced differences between light & heavy armors.

Make heavy armors have high strength requirements and make them even more protective than they are with more of a speed penalty. 

Tanks should be support characters - unable to do much on their own.  They mark the front line and look intimidating.  They're there for teammates to hide behind.  They should be slow, but hit hard.  On their own, they're easily whittled down.  When surrounded by teammates, they can look for openings to land a hard blow.  They should be able to take a lot of punishment from archers, but then be no threat to them in return.

If we had this kind of balance, upkeep would be completely unnecessary.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 09:43:41 am »
Disagree completely. Either upkeep or armor nerf. If someone pays 50-100 gold per minute for armor he should have a significant advantage over someone who pays nothing at all, or you have lots of exploiters who just run around with agistack and light armor without reduced effectiveness and farm gold for plated charger time.
With 25 weight armor the advantage is there against arrows, against crossbows I die in 2 hits like everyone else, and many meleers can kill me in three or less hits, too.
In fact making it so that plate users can't agistack, and agistackers can't use weapons that hurt platers much would be more balanced.

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 10:11:01 am »
Noob tincans are good for defence and soaking up. The ones who put in time and have more skill and more agil shold be able to fight back against lighter foes.
Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4