Author Topic: the scoring system  (Read 4599 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: the scoring system
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 04:34:22 pm »
The more health the person you're killing has, the more points you get (at least that's what it seems like to me).  AKA the more damage you do, the more points you get.  Up to about 5 or 6 points maximum for people with quite a bit of health.  Horses also give about 5 or 6 points to kill them. 

I can see the justification for giving people points who are literally 2 feet from an enemy who gets hit or killed.  Being that close to someone makes them have to worry about you, not to mention it's very likely you just hit the guy right before he died (maybe even causing him to be stunned while someone else killed him). 

On horseback as a lancer I also lose out on a lot of proximity points (mainly noticed in strategus).  Gotta make up for it by hitting that many more enemies. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also if you have a problem with the points system, look up the definition and synonyms of Valor.  You'll see why being an archer or back stabbing cavalry isn't that valorous.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 04:40:16 pm »
+1
What you don't seem to get is that the relation between difficulty and rewards concerning melee and ranged are quite different. All you have to do in melee to get valour is to stay close to the fight, hit a few times while ensuring you don't get hit, and kill a guy or two. Voila.

I like how you make this seem as if it's no big deal. Sure, as a shielder line fighting is easy and valour farming is a joke. But for all the other classes that can't block two swing directions simultaneously it's far more hazardous. Not to mention with the hoplite/long polearm spam lately, it's incredibly easy to die in a line fight as anything other than a shielder. Hell, even as a shielder all that has to happen is that mauler overheading through your shield followed by a stab from a pike. If this doesn't happen in EU, it happens plenty in NA.

My favourite? When a friendly thrower tosses a jarid in the back of your head, causing you to stagger forward into your death.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 04:41:20 pm »
+1
Anyway, do you really think sitting on top of a building, and shooting arrows taking a lot less risk than those in the front line takes any courage/valour?
What the fuck are you talking about, lol. Courage in a video game? Cool story.

As an average archer you're constantly at a very high risk of dying (unless you have a few teammates that pay attention and guard you), more than average melee because of lower awareness, low armour and low maneuverability.
- Arbalest shot - BOOM! You're dead.
- Cav couching you - you're pretty much often dead.
- Ninja cutting your head from behind - you're dead.
- Agi shielder walking towards you - GTX.

You people who think all archers do is staying on the safe roof pew-pew'ing arrows at enemies, should really try playing it for one gen. I did, and now I can't wait for another 100k exp to retire back into melee.

PS: saying "melee should get more valour because valour is about being brave and melee is brave" - makes no sense at all btw.

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 04:52:45 pm »
I like how you make this seem as if it's no big deal. Sure, as a shielder line fighting is easy and valour farming is a joke. But for all the other classes that can't block two swing directions simultaneously it's far more hazardous. Not to mention with the hoplite/long polearm spam lately, it's incredibly easy to die in a line fight as anything other than a shielder.

If you are on the front-line and you are not a shielder you are doing it wrong, as for sure you'll get killed in less than a second. Once you get those silly mistakes out of the way, valour is easy to get, unless your team gets zerged from the beginning.
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2013, 05:23:25 pm »
First you say stay close to the fight, then you say stay away from the fight.

If you're close enough to get proximity points you're close enough to get hit. And if your strategy is just to get proximity points and do your best not to get hit, you're not helping your team at all.

Offline Siper

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2013, 05:45:34 pm »
What the fuck are you talking about, lol. Courage in a video game? Cool story.

As an average archer you're constantly at a very high risk of dying (unless you have a few teammates that pay attention and guard you), more than average melee because of lower awareness, low armour and low maneuverability.

You people who think all archers do is staying on the safe roof pew-pew'ing arrows at enemies, should really try playing it for one gen. I did, and now I can't wait for another 100k exp to retire back into melee.

PS: saying "melee should get more valour because valour is about being brave and melee is brave" - makes no sense at all btw.

Meleers run the the same risk for all the points you made:
-Bonus:
 The risk of being in front taking the blows from the enemy, Defending your archers ass like you said.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2013, 05:45:59 pm »
+1
It's only 4 directions to melee manual block. Sometimes only 2, or even 1.

A lil' bit of practice vs bots should make this part easy. :)

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 06:07:40 pm »
+1
Are we talking about the points system here? What other use are points for? You get lots of em, you get valour. Getting kills helps your team win, getting points helps you get an extra multiplier, occasionaly. It's not about stroking your dick in pleasure because you happen to be higher up on a list than some other douchebag. So yes, the definition of "valour" is kind of the whole point. Oh boohoo, you have 8 kills from playing like a complete bundle of sticks and didn't die once (because of aforementioned playing like a complete bundle of sticks) but you don't like how many points you have? Does it bruise your ego or something? I'd think helping your team win the round (by being a complete bundle of sticks) would be enough.

No reason to act like a complete asshole and call me bundle of sticks. I am helping my team, maybe not by performing backstabbing horse driveby but from a bit more far away. The ranged scoring system is simply crap, especially because long range shots that are harder to perform are rewarded with less points.
I said I dont need valour, still I like not being at the bottom of the score board. The scoring system favours close range attacks, for xbow it means that you get more points if you run into a fight, shotgun someone and retreat for reloading. This again means you need high agility for running speed.

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 06:22:26 pm »
+2
Meleers run the the same risk for all the points you made:
- Arbalest shot - BOOM! You're dead. Nope
- Cav couching you - you're pretty much often dead.Yeah. But you got a shield
- Ninja cutting your head from behind - you're dead.Lolno
- Agi shielder walking towards you - GTX.Are you even reading what you write?
-Bonus:
 The risk of being in front taking the blows from the enemy, Defending your archers ass like you said. Bonus: you get points for being in the middle with your forcefieldshield up
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:28:14 pm by Akynos »
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline Stormcrow

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
  • The spirit is willing, but the body is weak
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stormcrow, Ragnarok
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 08:16:23 pm »
+1
As an archer I get valor all the time. It definitely does not need a buff for ranged players. The whole point is to get get everyone involved in a battle rather than having ranged sitting on the sidelines shooting in. If you dont get valor as a ranged player than try to be more active in battles, shoot more horses and kill people using melee weapons when possible.
Its easier to change your build or play style to match the game than it is to get the devs to change game to your liking just so you can get an extra multi every once in a while.
Gen 19 lvl34 archer

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 08:28:12 pm »
The scoring system for ranged is broke, end of story.  I used an arb for over 2 years, and my kills always kept me in the top 10 at least.  After the new scoring system was put in place, my k/d stayed the same, but I had a hard time getting anywhere near the top.  Pissed me off enough to respec to my current build (NA players know what it is...). 

Now, although I don't get NEAR as many kills, I'm regularly in the top 10 by just holding my shield up and well, you know...  Who cares about the definition of valour, the scoreboard needs to reflect your contribution to the battle, and for ranged, it most certainly does not.  Just yesterday, my arbalest alt (can't leave it completely) was 8-1 at the end of the map, NO tw's(which take off too many points anyway) and a whopping score of 25 points...  Needs to be fixed!

Stupid

edit: may be different for archers, my experience is with an arb. and NO, ranged should not have to melee to get points, unless melee has to use arrows to get them as well...
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 08:33:20 pm »
+1
Playing as a ranged/melee hybrid i can understand both sides of the arguement. A typical headshot kill gets you 3 points, no more. Let's say someone has full health and you 1 shot kill at the head - that is 3 points. If a melee guy goes in and hits him twice to kill him, he gets usually 10+ points.

If i then charge in with melee because the guy has survived and kill him with 2 hits due to weakness of my STR then i add 3 + normally around 15 points. This is where the discrepancies come from, ranged do have a high risk when in melee or on the proximity, furthermore they are always bashed upon for being ranged. There needs to be some balance, headshots should score more than 3 points and it should reflect damage more than just 'ping headshot 3 points lucky you'

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 09:03:21 pm »
+1
The scoring system for ranged is broke, end of story.  I used an arb for over 2 years, and my kills always kept me in the top 10 at least.  After the new scoring system was put in place, my k/d stayed the same, but I had a hard time getting anywhere near the top.  Pissed me off enough to respec to my current build (NA players know what it is...). 

Now, although I don't get NEAR as many kills, I'm regularly in the top 10 by just holding my shield up and well, you know...  Who cares about the definition of valour, the scoreboard needs to reflect your contribution to the battle, and for ranged, it most certainly does not.  Just yesterday, my arbalest alt (can't leave it completely) was 8-1 at the end of the map, NO tw's(which take off too many points anyway) and a whopping score of 25 points...  Needs to be fixed!

Stupid

edit: may be different for archers, my experience is with an arb. and NO, ranged should not have to melee to get points, unless melee has to use arrows to get them as well...

If I thrust my lance into 8 people, and kill all 8 of them, I'd also have a score around 25 points.  The thing you may not be realizing, people in melee hit a lot of people without the enemy dying.

So while you hit 8 people and all 8 die, someone else may have 8 kills and have hit enemies 20+ times in melee where the enemy didn't die.  It's pretty common for me to only kill about 1/3 (maybe less) of the people I ride by and hit with my lance.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 09:46:42 pm »
+1
If I thrust my lance into 8 people, and kill all 8 of them, I'd also have a score around 25 points.  The thing you may not be realizing, people in melee hit a lot of people without the enemy dying.

So while you hit 8 people and all 8 die, someone else may have 8 kills and have hit enemies 20+ times in melee where the enemy didn't die.  It's pretty common for me to only kill about 1/3 (maybe less) of the people I ride by and hit with my lance.

First off, I never said all the shots were 1 hit kills, secondly it sounds like you think one swing of a melee weapon should get the same score as one bolt hit. A bolt that takes ~8 seconds to reload, and does way more damage  I play with a melee character now and am NOWHERE as effective as my arb character and get double the score, what more do you need to hear?  Try it out yourself.
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 10:07:18 pm »
+2
A good shielder will try intercept blows against his teammates.  You let the 2 hander jump ahead and smack the enemy, then rush in front of him to stop the counter attacks.  Sometimes I'll rush into the middle of the enemy clump and spin around shield up  to get their front line guys to turn around exposing their backs.  If they don't, I go for the hit.  In those tight battles I often get a lot of hits in, but few kills.  I also know I'm keeping the deadly guys alive.

And that, sir, is awfully valourous of me.