Author Topic: A case for proper Siege Tower Usage.  (Read 744 times)

Offline GK_Leonidas

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
A case for proper Siege Tower Usage.
« on: May 06, 2011, 02:32:24 pm »
I can understand the reason why catapults are not allowed to be used, as they bug the maps. But I am requesting, the use of siege towers on the outside of maps. I think it ads great depth and additional strategy to the game. Obviously building one on the flag should be a instant ban. Yesterday before I read the forums, about the exclusion of siege towers, I was building them on the outside of walls. They added great fun. Both offense and defense had a great time. You really can't build them in every map, so there use is still limited. I spoke with certain admins and they were not aware they were banned either, and they allowed me to use them. It didn't unbalance the game at all. I am asking for the powers that be to reconsider. Allow siege towers on the outsides of walls please. Allow them but just stipulate what can and can't be done. In the same way as you did with ladders to the heavens.

Offline Rangerbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rangerbob
Re: A case for proper Siege Tower Usage.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:12:14 pm »
As an admin for NA siege, I would say that the cases where siege towers are harmful outweigh any benifit they have.  There is one exception on when I will allow siege towers and thats when the siege ramp gets bugged horribly.  Either way the fact that siege towers can block ramps and flags and chokepoints for a signifigant amount of time makes them illegal. 

Almost anything you need a siege tower for, a few properly placed ladders will do a better job.  Not only that it wastes a player 2-3 respawns to gather enough material, they turn into a huge distraction for attacks as other players run in circles around the tower waiting for it to be built only to have the stairs bug out on them or the ramp drop through the castle when its finally built.  Then theres tower stacking where 3-4 distracted players decide waste everyone's time and build towers on top of each other.  When the bottom tower is broken you get an illegal unreachable position above and leave artifacts when the round is over.

And finally the simple fact is that its much faster to run up a ladder than it is running up the 4 flights of stairs and a ramp to get to the top of a siege tower.  Yes its much hard to break a tower than ladder but its also much easier to put up 3 good ladders as compared to 1 properly placed siege tower.  The main benifit of siege towers is to have a protected place for attacking ranged to shoot from.  And by having those archers basically shooting from the outside wall they do nothing for the attacking team at flag other than pick off stragglers and people who spawn really far away from flag.  Also if defenders start placing siege towers all over the place it becomes easily abused because it creates artificial choke points as well as advantagous positions for defending archers to shoot from breaking the balance of some maps.

Siege towers are more trouble than they're worth and thats why they're banned as of now.