Author Topic: Two Directional Polearms.  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Two Directional Polearms.
« on: May 30, 2013, 01:59:42 am »
+10
Yeah I know its been a problem for a long time and imagine some people would say 'no shit sherlock', but I really think it needs to be restated.

Two directional polearms (With pehaps the exception of the awlpike) are utterly useless. I think I actually forgot how bad they really are... I just started using an english bill +3 and I have never been so pissed off by anything in cRPG to this extent. Every strike glances, or goes through the enemy, or misses them entirely due to the turn speed nerf. It is quite genuinely unusable; in battle and duel.

Just thought I should bring it to the attention of the game balancers.

Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Two Directional Polearms.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:19:12 am »
+2
I have been staring at the +3 English Bill in our armoury wishing it wasn't such a piece of shit.

I think utterly useless is an understatement, the awlpike and ashwood pike are extremely good weapons, the long awlpike is a good weapon, the new frenchie 2D polearms are mostly a bit worse than the long awlpike but still definitely viable. I think the heavy overhead 2D polearms are the only real suckers, the Swiss Halberd and especially the English Bill and Long Voulge. The main issue is in my opinion that these weapons got hit disproportionally hard with the new turn rate values because of their high weight. I think the stats of these weapons are fine in comparison to the other 2D weapons, if it weren't for weight affecting turn rate. Turn rate is simply the most important attribute of a support polearm.

http://forum.meleegaming.com/game-balance-discussion/english-bill-and-swiss-halberd-rebalance-suggestion/15/

That is the thread I made some time ago, but apparently some people find the ability to stun more important than the ability to turn, a notion which I find ridiculous. I think that the English Bill and the Long Awlpike are balanced with eachother stats wise, so they should have the same turnrate. Makes no sense to have it turn slower even though it doesn't have any advantages elsewhere.

I stand by my suggestions as an easy way to reintroduce overhead support polearms into the game. Otherwise 2 awesome weapons are not going to be seen much and that is a damn shame.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:56:08 am »
It could use a bigger stun imo, but besides that the English bill is fine, Swiss Halberd is shit from what I recall of using it though.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Havelle

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 364
  • Infamy: 37
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisitan
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:59:16 am »
+5
Two directional polearms (With pehaps the exception of the awlpike) are utterly useless.

Tell that to Bonsai. He's this NA dude.

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »
Yeah I know its been a problem for a long time and imagine some people would say 'no shit sherlock', but I really think it needs to be restated.

Two directional polearms (With pehaps the exception of the awlpike) are utterly useless. I think I actually forgot how bad they really are... I just started using an english bill +3 and I have never been so pissed off by anything in cRPG to this extent. Every strike glances, or goes through the enemy, or misses them entirely due to the turn speed nerf. It is quite genuinely unusable; in battle and duel.

pretty much this, english bill and others were at least little usefull when you could kick and block at same time but now it is just too risky.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:36:55 pm »
+2
ive used the spetum with 0wpf alot on other characters as 2h and on my main as 1h just for getting cav but in melee i found it very good even with 0 weapon points. When you use it with like 147 wpf though its madness very fast.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 01:07:51 pm »

allthough my sidesteps and swings were well timed and to the head, killing you muffin , i was indeed amazed at the sluggishness of the bill and it didnt feel satisying like it normally dous killing a champion, just mentioning this because i saw u quit after it and i knew exactly why. i think this weight problem is a general problem thow, i myself am using a heavy greatsword witch is 3.5 kg, experience that its the most sluggish gs, and it dousnt feel like there is a bonus for having a heavier weapon, not in damage, and not noticing eny stuns on other weaps from my overheads.. but ye bill needs buff for sure.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 01:42:15 pm »
Two-directional polearms are fine.  A comfortable balance between the Long Spear/Pike and the shorter spears, with the ability to use overhead feints.  Great damage, nice hitbox on the stab.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 01:47:33 pm »
They are not useless. It's the length mate.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 01:49:32 pm »
+7
Two-directional polearms are fine.  A comfortable balance between the Long Spear/Pike and the shorter spears, with the ability to use overhead feints.  Great damage, nice hitbox on the stab.

(click to show/hide)

lol i like how you have no clue who u are telling to l2p, muffin would tear you quite some new assholes playing eny melee based class.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:11:11 pm »
+5
Can you give me that +3 Bill please? I'm using an unloomed one on my polearm char and it's super-effective.

Offline Ulter

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Duke_Henry_HRE
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 02:11:58 pm »
lol i like how you have no clue who u are telling to l2p, muffin would tear you quite some new assholes playing eny melee based class.

Just because somebody is a good dueller doesn't automatically make him a demigod of c-rpg. No offence to blueberry or anyone, just pointing out that duels are not all warband is about - too often people seem to forget that...

I've always seen 2d polearms as purely support weapons, and indeed, they perform very well in that role. They require a different approach than other meele weapons though.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 03:36:19 pm »
+3
I have a +3 Ranseur, +3 Spetum, +3 English Bill and have previously played with a +3 Swiss Halberd and +3 Long Awlpike.

I wouldn't call any of the above completely useless, they're decent weapons, but they are too weak compared to other weapons. There's pretty much no reason taking any of the above instead of a long spear, ashwood pike (with shield) if you don't mind one less attacking direction or the glaive or german greatsword if you want 2 more. No stat on them justify what you lose either way, and especially after the two turn-rate nerfs, they really aren't up to scratch. It's quite sad really.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 03:42:56 pm »
+1
Gurni , I can only +1 you because of your new signature  :D

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 04:11:56 pm »
Well Im not such an amazing player but I would say Im good. Good enough to be able to use weapons efficiently and I really struggle with these 2D polearms. (With a few exceptions) Ashwood pike is for hoplites really, awlpike is ok because it is short, but the rest range from below average to unusable.

Teeth was using an english bill on the server today and I think he GTX after 2 maps or so. :D

Gurny got it right, they really just arent worth using, which is a shame as they add a good diversity to the game.

PS: Paul if you have something to trade for it, I will happily do so.
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!