Poll

What do you think of this idea?

Good idea, if it's possible to do add it!
14 (25%)
Testing this would be fun and could possibly be implemented
8 (14.3%)
Fun idea but not practical so leave it
18 (32.1%)
No
16 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: 8 attack and block directions  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
Re: 8 attack and block directions
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 11:32:59 am »
Partially right? What do you mean? Lower strikes are just as valid as upper one.

Can you swing a sword with the same destructive force and intensity (while maintaining a balanced stance) with the low strikes as you do with the upper ones? I guess not.

Doesn't change the fact that you are wrong if you think that the sectors represent actual attack directions.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Ulter

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Duke_Henry_HRE
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 11:39:42 am »
+1
That's an interesting idea, but new attack direction require new animations...

Also I think that the only attacks that should be added are upper-right and upper-left.
They are the most reasonable, and the most used types of attacks. Adding too many could result in too confusing fights, incresed spam etc.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:46:10 am by Ulter »

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 11:51:40 am »
That's an interesting idea, but new attack direction require new animations...
New animations and yeah maybe too big of a cake to take. I know something about medieval fencing from Fiore styled stuff. It actually has 6 swing directions and the stab so 7 in total. Straight from up to down and down to up are not included. I don't know much about other styles tho, but straight up and down don't make any sense to me :mrgreen:

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 11:53:47 am »
Can you swing a sword with the same destructive force and intensity (while maintaining a balanced stance) with the low strikes as you do with the upper ones? I guess not.

Doesn't change the fact that you are wrong if you think that the sectors represent actual attack directions.
No, nor did I say so, but people thought of the lower strikes with a reason, people wouldn't have been using those attacks for hundreds of years in multiple cultures if there isn't a reason for it would they now? If you look at the weak spots in plate armor for example there are multiple places where you can only lnad a proper hit through a lower strike. And the destructive power of a sword is more dependant on where you land your hit then how hard you hit someones helmet. I'm a sworddfighter myself RL so I'd know. having more attack directions in a combat situation makes it harder for your opponent to know how to block or evade an attack, so it is very usefull to have lower attacks in your reportoire.

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 12:08:10 pm »
Now you just got stuck into that one thing I said. Not the actual point that 8 swing directions + stab is too many imo. Straight up and down don't make sense.

If you hit the helmet with upper swing you are going to knock that guy out. If you hit a guy in the leg with low cut it probably does nothing against armor or wounds the leg or torso. I didn't mean that lower attacks are not useful in some places but the real force is in upper cuts :rolleyes:

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 12:24:04 pm »
Now you just got stuck into that one thing I said. Not the actual point that 8 swing directions + stab is too many imo. Straight up and down don't make sense.

If you hit the helmet with upper swing you are going to knock that guy out. If you hit a guy in the leg with low cut it probably does nothing against armor or wounds the leg or torso. I didn't mean that lower attacks are not useful in some places but the real force is in upper cuts :rolleyes:
I know it's too much and for new people it'd be impossible to learn how to play. first of all, hitting someone's helmet if it's a fully enclosed one, won't do a whole lot anyway with a sword. and the "straight up" attack is not to hit the legs, but the genitals, because between the legs in a weak spot in plate armor.
BTW I know stuff about longsword fighting, not a whole lot about 1handed.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 12:36:42 pm »
+1
and the "straight up" attack is not to hit the legs, but the genitals, because between the legs in a weak spot in plate armor.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 12:40:29 pm »
I think that is a rennaissance armor or an armor made for one of the wealthiest men in the world at that time, not the common knight.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 12:51:29 pm »
+5
Bonerplate

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 01:09:41 pm »
The thing is, hitting or slashing someone in plate armor with a sword is never really going to do anything, only stabbing in vurnable places will get you anywhere, but that is not fun in the game, nor really doable for the devs, so that is not a good reference. Though how they used swords for hundreds of years is I think, is. Longswords(or any other 2handed sword)-fighting has 24 for different attacks, excluding stabs. There is no way we can implement all those different attacks properly. Those 24 for attacks consist of 8 attacks with the front side of the blade, 8 with the backside and 8 more, but I'm not going to explain those  :wink:. we currently only have the simplest ones, with the front side of the blade. with that front side of the blade you have 8 different attacks, like I mentioned, the ones in the OP. all the different attacks have their own pros and cons, that differs from what stance you are in, your opponent is in and what you're good at. It's bullshit to think that the attacks from the bottom are useless, they pack just as hard of a punch if you hit someone right. So if we add any new attack directions, it should be the diagonal ones.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 02:22:10 pm »
Of course low slashes work. I too interpreted your circle wrong by thinking the lines were meant as directions. I think it could work if the straight low swing was replaced with the stab, but it would have to be tested if accuracy with the mouse is good enough to pull off each particular move with precision. And another difficulty is the question whether it's possible to make the animations distinctive enough to attain a similar level of blocking prowess like we have at the moment. Would be sad if it degenerated into a spam fest.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 03:58:29 pm »
Why not just keep the four we have and fill in 4 more between them? Would fix the stab problem at least.

This!  I don't understand why the circle is sectioned off the way it is.  Why not keep the normal "north/south/east/west" directions, and just add NE/NW/SE/SW...

I think it's going to add too much complications for c-rpg, and I highly doubt it will even be considered.  That being said, why wouldn't you just keep the same 4 directions we have, and just add 4 more in between them?
Haha I think I know what's the problem. I assumed that the lines are attack directions, and you assumed that the sectors are attack directions. So basically we're talking about the same exact thing.  :D

Apparently I, too, misinterpreted the lines as being the attack directions, and not the sectors...disregard my previous comment.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 07:22:01 pm »
Of course low slashes work. I too interpreted your circle wrong by thinking the lines were meant as directions. I think it could work if the straight low swing was replaced with the stab, but it would have to be tested if accuracy with the mouse is good enough to pull off each particular move with precision. And another difficulty is the question whether it's possible to make the animations distinctive enough to attain a similar level of blocking prowess like we have at the moment. Would be sad if it degenerated into a spam fest.
I'll edit the OP then

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 07:14:40 am »
+1
I'm working on something with a buddy to move this cluster fuck system on. But at the moment it's only using Escrima swords.

The power you put into your moust movement + direction + keyboard direction + relative position of target = type of attack. The small amount we've done so far results in pretty intense duels. Because on top of that the power you put into your moust movement + direction + keyboard direction + relative position of target = type of defence. So if you time it well you can pull an attack through. When it's complete you will be able to cause people to stumble, over balance and fall and even trip them through the way you deal with they're attack. If someone goes all out and tries to take your head off and you move and time your block perfectly you will be able to take them off balance. We are trying to decied if you should be able to knock weapons out of peoples hands or not.

This type of set up works great for Escrima because it's so insane and fast. It could work for anything but the great thing about Escrima is that we can mould a lot of stuff into the animations and hide a lot as well. The one thing I'm really concerned about though is generating latency in the controls because the more complicated we make the animations the more chance it has of starting to feel like you are locked into to them and you start to loose agency, and I don't want that. I want quick, smooth and hardcore dueling!

-----

TL:DR

I think the solution is mixing keyboard + mouse + the speed&distance of the mouse movement together to create the type of attack and it's direction. If at all possible take into account the target and body placement of your avatar, the issue with that is you need some way to lock onto targets, so it's probably not worth it really.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:08 pm »
great idea! I'd love to try something like this!
What do you mean with the power you put into your mouse movement? the speed you move your mouse at or how far you move your mouse from the starting position before moving your mouse in that direction?

And another one: What do you mean with the keyboard direction? Just the direction you're moving to?