Author Topic: Maybe a new crossbow?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Germanicus

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Maybe a new crossbow?
« on: April 30, 2013, 07:04:43 pm »
+9
well well well..... what about a new crossbow? the old ones well...getting old. maybe something fitting to the chinese like the zhugenu? visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 if one of the devs could make a modell and implement it would be awesome.  it would the first repeater and chinese crossbow in crpg ofc it shouldnt be made op...it can fire 10 bolts without reloading, can be reloaded very quick but is unefficient on greater range, it has very low damage (maybe make it 15 dmg for it and add extra bolts with a higher stock but without aditional damage like the bodkin)  and also it was inaccurate so it would have it ups and downs.  quick reload and a high firerrate in sacrifice of range,damage and accuracy also would maybe attractive to any china style clan.

edit: added wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:37:19 am by Germanicus »
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." - Winston Churchill

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
Re: Maybe a new crossbow?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »
+1
I was thinking about this earlier. Give it the damage of the hunting crossbow as well as the accuracy of the light crossbow. Ammo in a clip somewhere between 3-4 and add a 1-1.5 second firing delay between rounds to avoid stacking range stagger on a foe (can be tweaked to accommodate range stagger if too fast). The firing delay could also be done as a "soft cap" in which your accuracy has a cooldown after each shot (big crosshairs). I would also give it the upkeep of somewhere between the heavy xbow and the arbalest and make it not usable on horseback. Give it the missile speed near one of the three lower crossbows to limit range as well as make it 2 slot. It would also probably weigh quite a bit, though that is debatable...
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline Germanicus

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:02:46 pm »
I was thinking about this earlier. Give it the damage of the hunting crossbow as well as the accuracy of the light crossbow. Ammo in a clip somewhere between 3-4 and add a 1-1.5 second firing delay between rounds to avoid stacking range stagger on a foe (can be tweaked to accommodate range stagger if too fast). The firing delay could also be done as a "soft cap" in which your accuracy has a cooldown after each shot (big crosshairs). I would also give it the upkeep of somewhere between the heavy xbow and the arbalest and make it not usable on horseback. Give it the missile speed near one of the three lower crossbows to limit range as well as make it 2 slot. It would also probably weigh quite a bit, though that is debatable...

well, arabalest would be way to much upkeep for this rather give it normal crossbow upkeep, also it should be less damage and accuracy of the other crossbows (since this was very unnacurate, but thatswhy they got "big" magazines to kinda even that out) i kinda want it to be a bit realistic, thatswhy low damage aswell (it was very unnefective against plates and couldnt or just barrely pierce thatswhy 10-15 pierce damage  would be ok i think 10 bolts with lets say 10 damage are 100 damage but that requires that all hit since this is unlikely the case it would still be less)
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." - Winston Churchill

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:13:44 pm »
+1
The only problem is that 10-15 pierce damage would not even penetrate medium armor. Although archers use low damage bows, their Power Draw boosts the damage they do. It would need to be 25-30 pierce minimum to be effective on the battlefield.
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:47:19 pm »
Someone has made a model for this in a mod called NordInvasion. But I doubt this would be good for crpg, seems to only be good at trolling.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:00:24 pm »
I don't think that would be only good for trolling, it seems like a nice weapon.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:32:58 pm »
+2
The only problem is that 10-15 pierce damage would not even penetrate medium armor. Although archers use low damage bows, their Power Draw boosts the damage they do. It would need to be 25-30 pierce minimum to be effective on the battlefield.

This was actually how they were in real life too, anything heavier than cloth was fairly well protected against them. These were only ever used firing down on attackers for maximum effect, unloading 10 bolts in quick succession would probably not kill the victim, they would more likely be only lightly wounded at best as most of the bolts were deflected but their force was instead intended to pin someone in place for a while so that other ranged might make the kill.
If anything they should have damage on the lower end of that range, like 12 so that they can still affect people in the upper end of light armors but for medium armor only the stun would be a factor when facing them. Chain and above should be all but immune to them and plate in any form wouldn't even be stunned a little.

They should be very inaccurate, slow to reload and more of a support weapon really. This could make melee crossbower a thing, I can see this being used to shoot someone at point blank 10 times while the friendly melee just brutalize them. Make them very heavy too then, so that the melee can still catch them when this happens.

Doesn't this seem an interesting enough playstyle to be worth a test? Support Ranged.

If it totally breaks the game can't we just remove them as well? As this bow has been suggested now many times and is always turned down :(.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Little Lord Lollipop

• Duke
  • Renown: 582
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: Frumpty_Dumpty_ATTS
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 11:42:37 pm »
+1
Proposed Stats:

(click to show/hide)
Dear Little Lord Lollipop
You have received a warning for being a total twat.
Best Regards,
The cRPG Forum Team

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 11:57:45 pm »
Proposed Stats:

missile speed: 38  - roughly the same as a mid-tier bow
weight: 5 - relatively heavy
accuracy: 75 - least accurate crossbow
difficulty: 9 - middle tier requirement
speed rating: 105 - comparable to heavy crossbow
max ammo: 5 - 5 shots in the chamber
thrust damage: 30 pierce - lowest damage crossbow
slots: 2
Cost: 7481 - between light and regular crossbow
Upkeep: 524
Can't Reload on Horseback
1.5 second delay between shots

I would up the reload time a little bit. 5 shots is a lot to have in the chamber for a relatively short downtime.

For the loom values I would recommend not upping the damage by 8p at +3. This would effectively increase the damage in the "chamber" by roughly 40p for reload which is excessive.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:04:27 am by Phantasmal »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:12 am »
Proposed Stats:

(click to show/hide)
This is not the least accurate xbow. Keep in mind that; in crossbows, every 4 damage reduces the actual accuracy by 1.

I did not calculate the values and this still might be the least accurate xbow. But the difference might not be as huge as you think.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:16:33 pm by Ronin »
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 03:57:16 pm »
If you want a rapid fire crossbow, just play native.

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 06:42:32 pm »
This is not the least accurate xbow. Keep in mind that; in crossbows, every 4 damage reduces the actual accuracy by 1.

I did not calculate the values and this still might be the least accurate xbow. But the difference might not be as huge as you think.

nope accuracy drops by 7 from hunting xbow and pierce drops by 7. Definitely the least accurate xbow by far

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 07:03:08 pm »
Real accuracy values:

Hunting xbow - 73
Light xbow - 72
Arbalest - 69

Zhugenu (what phantasmal suggested) - 68

Ok it is the least accurate, but It doesn't have much difference. That's what I was trying to say actually.

Offline Germanicus

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:21:07 pm »
i thought a bit about it and read a bit more about the zhugenu and i would say those were my stat suggestions

Proposed Stats:

weight: 2,5 - relatively light
accuracy: 73 - least accurate crossbow
difficulty: 6 - low tier requirments
speed rating: 185 - a bit quicker reload then the hunting crossbow (because the  zhugenu didnt used a slider system like over crossbows, if you look at the picture it has a lever)
max ammo: 3 (i read the article in wikipedia again and missunderstood the context, the zhugenu had only 3 bolts)
thrust damage: 20 pierce - lowest damage crossbow (to even it out high reload speed = low damage)
slots: 1 (it was a small crossbow)
Upkeep: 625
1.0 second delay between shots

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:56 pm »
Real accuracy values:

Hunting xbow - 73
Light xbow - 72
Arbalest - 69

Zhugenu (what phantasmal suggested) - 68

Ok it is the least accurate, but It doesn't have much difference. That's what I was trying to say actually.

I am pretty sure base accuracy (before doing the damage calculations) determines how much accuracy is gained per point in wpf. At 1 wpf this crossbow would only be slightly less accurate then an arbalest. But as you raise weapon proficiency the arbalest would become much more accurate. For proof, make a STF alt with 180 xbow proficiency and bring an arbalest and hunting xbow. You will see that the hunting xbow has a lower accuracy than the arbalest. I would not be opposed to decreasing the accuracy further but I am not entirely certain about the formula relating wpf to accuracy.

i thought a bit about it and read a bit more about the zhugenu and i would say those were my stat suggestions

Proposed Stats:

weight: 2,5 - relatively light
accuracy: 73 - least accurate crossbow
difficulty: 6 - low tier requirments
speed rating: 185 - a bit quicker reload then the hunting crossbow (because the  zhugenu didnt used a slider system like over crossbows, if you look at the picture it has a lever)
max ammo: 3 (i read the article in wikipedia again and missunderstood the context, the zhugenu had only 3 bolts)
thrust damage: 20 pierce - lowest damage crossbow (to even it out high reload speed = low damage)
slots: 1 (it was a small crossbow)
Upkeep: 625
1.0 second delay between shots

I would prefer not to give 2hers a rapid fire crossbow. I understand that you want the xbow to be uneffective against medium armor but 90% of the server is in an armor value at 40 or above. At 20 pierce against these guys you might as well be shooting nerf darts at them. If that is how you want it to be then there is almost no point in buying one to use. If you used MW steel bolts it would work out decently though, even at 20 pierce (20p-->31p). It would be interesting to make them only compatible with bolts as well... but that is another discussion.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:28:45 am by Phantasmal »