Author Topic: This Steam sale has...  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Hyroshi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
This Steam sale has...
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:34:34 pm »
Really helped the population so it seems... Over the past few months I would estimate the overrall population has at the very least doubled. Midway on a Monday and two servers are packed? Nice!

Keep up the good work on spreading the word everyone.  :D
"Heaven is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -Stephen Hawking

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
Re: This Steam sale has...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:40:01 pm »
for those who wished it: statistics about the player numbers. I'm sorry to burst your armageddon bubble:
http://c-rpg.net/statistics.html
mh shit. the link is down. but the ifgures said player numbers where more or less steady ove the last months
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:41:22 pm by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:41:17 pm »
Fail link.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:47:26 pm »
Fail link.
ninjaed by 5 secs.  :)

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:54:22 pm »
cRPG play more people than native multiplayer xD
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Hyroshi

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:55:19 pm »
mh shit. the link is down. but the ifgures said player numbers where more or less steady ove the last months

Hrmmm it really seems like there are a lot more players on during early afternoon... Six months ago we would have 50ish in a server(battle only) now both siege and battle have a healthy 60+ pop in mid day. I could be wrong, just observation from a ways back until today.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »
From what i remember there was a steady population growth since the Big Patch and peaks during holidays.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:58:58 pm »
Last steam sale the population of cRPG tripled, or there abouts. Welcome new players!
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:33:23 pm »
Hrmmm it really seems like there are a lot more players on during early afternoon... Six months ago we would have 50ish in a server(battle only) now both siege and battle have a healthy 60+ pop in mid day. I could be wrong, just observation from a ways back until today.
oh sure, compared to six months before there significantly more players, especially with christmas sales. thought you were spkeaking of more recently changes.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 05:22:14 am »
Steam sale = Increase in teenage players, Increase in ranged players (somehow I feel they are related), Increase in trolling on the servers, Increase in whine, Loss of the tightnit community feeling, Loss of alot of the laughs that went along with playing the mod, Increase in "OMGSRSBZNSGRINDING" crap.

Just my view of it though.  I hate steam, always have.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 06:03:43 am »

Steam is awesome, can't imagine what you have against it. It's lets me buy game from the comfort of my own home, keeps all my games updated automatically and I've never had a problem with installing games (which has become a major problem with my old games collection.) Seriously what's not to like about steam?

As to the player count, I'm sure the patch caused a boost in people as wel. Old folk returning to check out the new stuff and so on.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 06:14:53 am »
Really helped the population so it seems... Over the past few months I would estimate the overrall population has at the very least doubled. Midway on a Monday and two servers are packed? Nice!

Keep up the good work on spreading the word everyone.  :D

I love Steam & Valve & Gabe Newell.  I love the Walmart philosophy of more sales at lower margin.

If you hate steam you arent a hardcore gamer or really stupid.  They are lowering the cost of games for gamers, how can you not like that?

Fuck EA, Sony, Ubisoft.  Steam = WIN
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:16:11 am by Digglez »

Offline Hyroshi

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 06:21:04 am »
Steam sale = Increase in teenage players, Increase in ranged players (somehow I feel they are related), Increase in trolling on the servers, Increase in whine, Loss of the tightnit community feeling, Loss of alot of the laughs that went along with playing the mod, Increase in "OMGSRSBZNSGRINDING" crap.

Sorry but I would rather have a booming population with some "young ones" then 99% of multiplayer games... Aka grave yards 6 months after release. It is all fine* and dandy to desire a tight knit community, but I doubt you would be having much fun when it dies shortly thereafter down the road.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:23:04 am by Hyroshi »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 06:37:00 am »
What's not to like about steam?
Ok:
1)  Steam has had, and still has a memory leak issue which comes with one update, fixed with the next, back for the next one and so on
2)  Steam is required for some games to run, or update.  If you have issues installing or patching games without steam doing it for you then you're just pretty fail at using a computer
3)  Steam doesn't make you a hardcore gamer, it's a mainstream gamer product.   :rolleyes:  That's a silly thing to try and say.
4)  Steam is one more program running in the background, which while not an issue overall for any decent rig, is still lame to have to deal with.
5)  Hyroshi, most games which "die" are because most mainstream gamers are FOTM jump-ship gamers.  Off to the next shiny thing that catches their eye.  I'll take the small tight knit community anyday.  For the record there's still a community that plays - Quakelive, Planetside, UO, AC, etc etc.  More players doesn't necessarily = better, and in fact usually means it's worse because the majority of those players are mainstream kids and halo-tard frat boys instead of die hard old gamers.  Yup, I'm elitist and not very friendly.  I miss the days of gamers being a small sub-culture instead of being infected by thousands of mainstream plebs.
6)  Mainstreaming of games decreases their quality.  Look at any MMO to show you what catering to large population of mainstreamers does to a game:  It makes it shit.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:42:26 am by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Hyroshi

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 07:24:54 am »
What's not to like about steam?
Ok:
1)  Steam has had, and still has a memory leak issue which comes with one update, fixed with the next, back for the next one and so on
2)  Steam is required for some games to run, or update.  If you have issues installing or patching games without steam doing it for you then you're just pretty fail at using a computer
3)  Steam doesn't make you a hardcore gamer, it's a mainstream gamer product.   :rolleyes:  That's a silly thing to try and say.
4)  Steam is one more program running in the background, which while not an issue overall for any decent rig, is still lame to have to deal with.
5)  Hyroshi, most games which "die" are because most mainstream gamers are FOTM jump-ship gamers.  Off to the next shiny thing that catches their eye.  I'll take the small tight knit community anyday.  For the record there's still a community that plays - Quakelive, Planetside, UO, AC, etc etc.  More players doesn't necessarily = better, and in fact usually means it's worse because the majority of those players are mainstream kids and halo-tard frat boys instead of die hard old gamers.  Yup, I'm elitist and not very friendly.  I miss the days of gamers being a small sub-culture instead of being infected by thousands of mainstream plebs.
6)  Mainstreaming of games decreases their quality.  Look at any MMO to show you what catering to large population of mainstreamers does to a game:  It makes it shit.

1.) Interesting, I have had steam since December of 2003 and have yet to have this "memory leak issue"... Then again 1500 hours of cs in my life, who knows maybe it is waiting for me next year! ^_-
3.) Hardcore and gamer... Lol?
5.) I come from competitive cs I know games can "survive" with a small base, but is it better? IMO no you need new blood, simply being an elitist prick because you are older is flat out stupidity at its finest. You should go play backgammon or some other game if you hate playing with young people so much.
6.) I can agree with you on this, UO is the best example. BUT this is NOT a mainstream MMO and probably never will be.

Last time I bought a cd was probably 6+ years ago, good riddance I say.