Author Topic: Need some Advice being a First time Second Gen Character  (Read 1062 times)

Offline wonka11

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Need some Advice being a First time Second Gen Character
« on: April 23, 2013, 06:39:14 am »
+3
Yo; I'm not that great at the game, I'll admit it, but I am at a point where my friends are telling me to stick with a specific build for a few generations to get good at it.

I'm pretty conflicted, I really want to try a hoplite build, but with a warspear so I can switch to 2 handing it and be able to duel when I'm by myself, yet from what everyone tells me, its not that good. I see this mofo right here, and I know he's insanely skilled, but its like, yeah maybe with a ton of time and enough practice, I could be that good too but with using a weapon that allows me to duel as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la1VK_w6CKU

On the other hand there is 2H builds like Longsword (with some points into shield to block arrows until you're close) or a good ol fashioned sword and board build. These are proven to be effective, but I don't know if they'll hold my interest for a long period of time. I've tried a few skip the fun characters, but I'm just not getting the long term feel for the spec and whether I'll enjoy it or not after a LONG time.

I could use some perception from some skilled characters, and from long time players.

Help me out here, give me some direction, I'm sure I could get good at something over the long term, I just don't know how to pick and could use your experience and outlook to help me choose.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
Re: Need some Advice being a First time Second Gen Character
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 06:41:14 am »
+3
Just go 2H, it's the easiest class and takes the least amount of time to be "good" at it.

But please, for the love of god, don't become an archer.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:51:34 am »
+3
Do not travel the dark path of the 2hander, for it is one that many do not come back from. I know the elegant shaft and shiny surface of the longswordtempt you, but you must restrain yourself, and harden thine grip upon wooden stick! 
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:54:42 am »
hoplite, 18/18. split wpf between 1h and pole equally. Don't use gear heavier than mail. take ashwood, a 2 slot shield and broad short sword

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:55:17 am »
+1
hoplite is in my opinion more OP than 2H. Both classes are, and both are easy so you dont have to be afraid that it will be too hard. People like teeth are good, but that doesnt mean they need that much of their skill for being hoplite. As you mentioned that you didnt like the playing of 2h, i suggest going hoplite. Since a short while everyone started going hoplite and i see totally unskilled players doing average with it, it probably was the glance reduction that made hoplite so strong and i seriously hope it will get nerfed.

Do not travel the dark path of the 2hander, for it is one that many do not come back from. I know the elegant shaft and shiny surface of the longswordtempt you, but you must restrain yourself, and harden thine grip upon wooden stick! 
as if hoplites are better... :/

Offline korppis

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:59:31 am »
IMHO you should pick the class you find most fun at the moment, otherwise you'll regret it later and may end up respeccing.

Hoplite may be very difficult class if you're new at the game, but it doesn't mean it can't be fun. And if you find out that's your favorite class, you'll know what to play on next gen.

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:59:41 am »
+2
hoplite is in my opinion more OP than 2H. Both classes are, and both are easy so you dont have to be afraid that it will be too hard. People like teeth are good, but that doesnt mean they need that much of their skill for being hoplite. As you mentioned that you didnt like the playing of 2h, i suggest going hoplite. Since a short while everyone started going hoplite and i see totally unskilled players doing average with it, it probably was the glance reduction that made hoplite so strong and i seriously hope it will get nerfed.
as if hoplites are better... :/

I disagree, especially with what he was describing he wanted to do (use the war spear only). A pure polearm hoplite takes a good deal of skill. In addition to that, if you pit a random 2 hand spammer against an average hoplite, the hoplite loses 9 times out of 10.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline wonka11

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 07:00:25 am »
I'll definitely try out hoplite then; how about a 21/18 build as hoplight and just using a Warspear or switching to a 2h pole when I'm not feeling much like hopliting? Would that work as well?

I know 18/18 is an option however here is also what I was thinking:

21/18

8 Skill points to Stats

7 PS
2 IF
6 Athletics
5 Shield
3 WM

130 Pole
5 1H

Thoughts?

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 07:02:42 am »
I'll definitely try out hoplite then; how about a 21/18 build as hoplight and just using a Warspear or switching to a 2h pole when I'm not feeling much like hopliting? Would that work as well?

I know 18/18 is an option however here is also what I was thinking:

21/18

8 Skill points to Stats

7 PS
2 IF
6 Athletics
5 Shield
3 WM

130 Pole
5 1H

Thoughts?
3 wm seems quite low i think. i would say, drop the IF and get 5.

I had this build:

24/15
8 ps
5 wm
5 shield
5 athletics
3 if

Offline wonka11

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 07:05:55 am »
Really appreciate the help to all, thank you much.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:41:44 am by wonka11 »

Offline wonka11

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 07:28:50 am »
May I ask though, how did you manage to pull off a 24/15 build with all of those stats? Were you over level 30?

Best I could get with the calculator at level 30 was this:

24/15

IF 2
PS 8
Shield 5
Athletics 5
WM 3

Pole 130

or Drop the 2 in IF and just get 5 WM and 147 Pole
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:33:55 am by wonka11 »

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 07:35:37 am »
I would recommend 21/15 more honestly--just because of being a new player you don't need to be worry about min/maxing builds. I would recommend Elite Cav shield, light lance, and a 1h that you find fits you best. Keep in mind though, Elite cav shield wont lost long--but for Battle servers it's fairly good if you're not trying to tank crowds of people.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline ArysOakheart

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1322
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Arys_TheDrunkenPeasant
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 07:47:40 am »
+2
I would recommend 24/15, Light Spiked Club (1h), Pitchfork (pole), and Old Round shield (1 req). It's most satisfying whilst slaying the try hards with upkeep 30x higher than yours.

Edit: This is at level 30 of course.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:34:46 am by ArysOakheart »

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 07:58:47 am »
May I ask though, how did you manage to pull off a 24/15 build with all of those stats? Were you over level 30?

Best I could get with the calculator at level 30 was this:

24/15

IF 2
PS 8
Shield 5
Athletics 5
WM 3

Pole 130

or Drop the 2 in IF and just get 5 WM and 147 Pole
i just did it out of my head, the calculator is probably right. i would say drop the if, you have a shield so you need a little bit more speed and less if.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 08:34:13 am »
+3
If you want to get better at the game, pick a short 1h weapon and use no shield. Your skill will improve really fast or you will uninstall the game.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?