Author Topic: Thoughts about live (voice) RP (events) in cRPG  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Red_Pike/Oriental_Red
Thoughts about live (voice) RP (events) in cRPG
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:47:18 am »
+20
Thoughts about RP in cRPG. Sharing Russian Warband community experience.

Hey everyone. I was staying late tonight, when i suddendly stumbled on some old pals from ol' good times when cRPG was still a small rpg mode with html website and black armor ever ugly Gnjus running around and killing people ... but that's not the point. It has nothing to do with cRPG - what i am suggesting is to conduct an live voice RP event.

As a matter of fact the Russian Warband community back in 2010 had already succeeded in running several RP events with a small group of players (~15-20). As time was passing we developed a loyal player base and were able to enjoy ourselves for two months. Two months of scrutinizing, hard work and efforts to adjust somewhat limited Warband engine to our RP needs. Unfortunately the progression stopped and no additional attempts were made.

So how did we do that? First, we put up a theme recruiting players willing to roleplay and strictly abide by rules. Then we start distributing roles and giving out the plot. After that we made sure the TS server is up. After all preparations were done, we actually roleplayed for 2-3 hours. All narration and dialogues were actually live read - everyone sticked to their role (peasant, lord, for example - i was a blacksmith) and did what their characters would have done in real life situation. It was a huge fan. The feeling of contribution and taking part in such a nice and creative thing was quite rewarding.

Not to mention that the outcome of the game was literally unpredictable - we once had four sides fighting for their own cause: bandits who tried to kidnap a lady, guards and man at arms trying to deliver her to castle safely, a town that didn't want to get between them, but were forced to take part anyway, because the shortest road to the castle went through the city and finally couple of assassins, who had a task of killing the lady (which made them enemies of both guards and bandits, as they wanted her alive). And do you know what happened?

After some struggling guards got access to the town, but were immediately attacked by bandits. Couple of citizens were in league with brigands, so guards decided to sack the whole city. Assassins ended up killing all witnesses but couldn't accomplish their task. And in midst of all the fighting guard crossbowman accidently killed the lady. The end. City is burned, citizens are killed, bandits flee, guards fail, assassins are happy. And everything was live. Isn't that awesome? Now imagine that with cRPG players running wild, shouting, insulting each other, betraying, plotting, hiding, surviving, killing and fighting.

During the course of organizing we faced lot of problems. The main one was how to make it organized and disciplined. The next was concerning TS and speaking matters - we had to divide locations into rooms in TS (it was 2010 year TS) and admin had to manually switch players when they move somewhere else. Later we kinda made a progress implementing Mumble with it's positional audio, so one couldn't actually hear you whisper in the bushes while drinking his beer in tavern. The volume also changed as the character moved away from/to the source of sound.

So why should we do this? Because it's very fun. Trust it me it is. I am sure lot of players are quite tired of endless battle hacking with no real purpose besides accumulating looms and gold, so i suggest we do this. AFAIK TS now supports positional audio so it wouldn't a problem. cRPG has a huge diversity of armor and weapons, so that won't be a problem as well. What we need is support from admins and big clans, that can provide both server and disciplined players. As for my part, i am ready to share with cRPG community my quite unique experience in organizing live RP Warband events.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:56:25 am by Felix »

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
Re: Thoughts about RP in cRPG
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:49:20 am »
+6
Can I be the beggar please??
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:54:02 am »
+3
Can I be the beggar please??
You aren't now?
Pock gobblers

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:03:09 am »
i like the idea, but it indeed seems a massive bunch of work

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:07:27 am »
i like the idea, but it indeed seems a massive bunch of work

Nothing comes easy. Though it won't a pioneer work.

Offline Wolfsblood

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boner
  • Game nicks: Wolfsblood_MB, Wolfsfang
Re: Thoughts about RP (events) in cRPG
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 02:12:28 am »
+1
I would love for something like this to happen, rping can be so much fun when done right, which is why I liked playing PW. till it got ruined...

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 02:15:22 am »
+1
This will never happen and I can tell you why.

Clans despise each other, I`ve been to several teamspeaks, and I`ve heard each clan dissing the other.

Mercs were dissing Templars, Templars were dissing Byzantines, Byzantines were dissing Fallen and on and on and on.
Thats the only reason that I don`t want to join a clan, I feel like that if I join one, I will have to start dissing the others, and I have friends in all the clans.

but thats just my opinion.

Offline Carthan

• Duke
  • Renown: 612
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • Mad scientist and creator of QUANTUM-KAFEIN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BlackCompany
  • Game nicks: Vandal (Carthan)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 02:27:04 am »
+1

Clans despise each other, I`ve been to several teamspeaks, and I`ve heard each clan dissing the other.
Plain and simply clans do develop a dislike from their rivalries.
But I see no reason why this cannot be built into the roleplay, different clans (Houses or guilds perhaps?) with distrusts or alliances forced into an environment where these could have a major and fun impact, such as battles, meetings, even simple beatings or hiring of assassins on other clan members and players.

Besides, what better way than showing clan pride than roleplaying a member of said clan/faction.
Yes, been posted before. Rather than practicing swinging a weapon, it would be better to go 1 hander and learn a martial art that specializes in takedowns, because that's all that really matters in that sport.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 06:56:11 am »
+8
Voice rp...

* Tank Burner shudders.

I don't want to hear these nerds' voices. It's bad enough in strat battles, much less them "Roleplaying"
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline korppis

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 07:08:08 am »
+7
...Isn't that awesome? Now imagine that with cRPG players running wild, shouting, insulting each other...

Sounds just like EU1...

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:45:32 am »
I'm pretty sure that actually chadz would love this. He is all into this player-to-player relationships and stuff.

Especially this...

Plain and simply clans do develop a dislike from their rivalries.
But I see no reason why this cannot be built into the roleplay, different clans (Houses or guilds perhaps?) with distrusts or alliances forced into an environment where these could have a major and fun impact, such as battles, meetings, even simple beatings or hiring of assassins on other clan members and players.

Besides, what better way than showing clan pride than roleplaying a member of said clan/faction.

...could pull the Overlord on your side. I strongly suggest to send him a pm here or in IRC and try to let him know. He has the possibilities to get this running.

Count me in if it ever becomes reality!
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline ArysOakheart

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1322
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Arys_TheDrunkenPeasant
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:53:03 am »
Give us a TL;DR for those who have time to only read real books.

Offline Fuma Kotaro

• Marshall
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm Fubadubbaduma
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Duck
  • Game nicks: Fuma + sth
  • IRC nick: sF_Leonidas
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 09:15:59 am »
the duck is ready to participate

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:51:59 am »

Do you think it was any different in 2010? That wasn't a problem back then and i don't think it would become a problem now. That's a good thing about RP - people can actually convey their feelings (even negative) into something artistic.

Voice rp...

* Tank Burner shudders.

I don't want to hear these nerds' voices. It's bad enough in strat battles, much less them "Roleplaying"

You would be surprised how motivated people can become. I assure you that players who participated in RP events were no different from cRPG nerds - given circumstances they CAN actually roleplay. I was a first hand witness. Surely, not everyone could speak (because of TS limitations - you can't have more than two people speaking at the same time in the same location) - there were extras and main characters, just like in a real theatre play

Give us a TL;DR for those who have time to only read real books.
We want to make real voice RP, with acting. With plot, characters and stuff. Via TS. Why should we do it? Cause fuck you that's why it's fun. Is it hard? Yes it's.

What we need to get this running technically are: TS server, cRPG server and a map maker. For the first session we could even use one of the old maps - cause cRPG has bunch of rural and city maps. So basically we pretty much have everything we need.

Count me in if it ever becomes reality!

It's YOU and every single player who make this real.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:59:38 am by Felix »

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts about live (voice) RP (events) in cRPG
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:03:22 am »
I should also add that both TS and Mumble went through many updates since 2010, so i am pretty sure those programmes (especially Mumble with actual 3D sound positioning) will help with immersion into RP.