Author Topic: Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Fronts  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Re: Company of Heroes 2 - SU85 OP, nerf HMG42!
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 03:24:43 pm »
Playing 3v3 and 4v4 the game seems reasonably balanced.  I agree Germans are definitely at a weakness at T1 compared to ruskies but arguably have far better equipment at T3 and T4. 

Most of my gameplay has been as Germans so i can't give a solid answer, but in larger games it seems well balanced.
Turtles

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 03:39:32 pm »
Strong t3-t4 alright, but SU-85 negates it pretty good. Play the ruskies right and you got your SU-85 by the time the german get P4's. Let's do some 1v1 soon!  :P
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 08:10:20 pm »
German T1, weak? Hah! It's extremely potent, so much so that I sometimes just skip T2 and go straight for T3 (depending on how much fuel I've been able to grab), then backteching to T2 or continue to T4 and Panzerwerfers.

Unless you're in a really good position as germans, there is no point in making armors until you can overwhelm the SU85s. Lately I've been toying around with lots of Scout Cars and the german Call in arty halftrack. That incendiary attacks is great stuff, especially since it comes really fast into play. 
Monkeys!

Offline Reyiz

• Count
  • Renown: 235
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Smell of Money
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rainbow
  • IRC nick: Jewianna
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 08:37:59 am »
do you guys still play COH 2 ?

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 07:18:35 pm »
Yes, for some reason  :lol:
Monkeys!

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 07:33:26 pm »
I play it quite often, though I only play as ze russians.

Offline Reyiz

• Count
  • Renown: 235
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Smell of Money
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rainbow
  • IRC nick: Jewianna
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 09:31:27 pm »
good, i was looking for noobs to play with  :D

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
Re: Company of Heroes 2 - Free to play this weekend 16-19th
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 11:01:45 pm »
Well, it's free this weekend. Can't really recommend buying it, too much payed Commander shenanigans going, but if it's definitely worth checking out for free, still a damn fun RTS.
Monkeys!

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 04:51:39 pm »
Well people can try it this weekend and it's also on sale for £10 which is nice and cheap for this awesome RTS. Meh, some of the payed commanders are a bit lame but they're gradually balancing this shit, ATM I play mostly with the Shock Rifle Frontline commander ( Soviet ) and I do pretty well in most games.

I like that commander because I love Shock Troops. To those that are clueless, they're a very tough Infantry unit that is one of the best Anti-Infantry Infantry units in the game when it comes to CQC, they eat the majority of German infantry for breakfast and then shit them out onto the more elite German Infantry units as they kill them too. But you've got to get these guys in close because that's where they shine, luckily they're tough and can throw grenades and smoke grenades, meaning any reasonably smart commander will easily close the distance on the target without taking too much damage. They give me a hard on.

Also that commander gets the IS-2 tank, which allows me to bring out a late game heavy tank that helps me compete with the Germans annoying as hell Panthers and Tigers, it's also a pain in the ass to any German infantry that isn't supported by enough AT.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 05:25:30 pm »
Is it just me who thinks that vanilla CoH (Allies / Wehrmacht only) was a lot better game?
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 05:40:46 pm »
I think it was better in some ways but I also did like the other Armies aswell as the vanilla Allies/Wehrmacht. My problem is that it just feels out dated to me, guess I played it enough and I will leave the nostalgia where it is.

I think CoH2 has improved in some ways but there are still some glaring issues. One thing that really pisses me off is the slow responses and sometimes terrible pathfinding of units in CoH2, which apparently they're also improving, I just don't remember them being this bad in CoH1.

I also think they should try to make combat a little less random, I do enjoy the randomness but sometimes it's a bit too random and you see too many "lucky" things happening, meaning it detracts from the overall strategy/tactics of the game. A couple of really lucky things happening would be fine, but too often do I see some really lame shit happen due to the extremes of the randomness lol, whether it's in my favour or not it needs to be toned down a tad.

Basically, I struggle to go back and play the older games of the series unless the sequels are terrible, and I don't feel CoH2 is terrible, infact it's the most entertaining RTS games I've played in recent years. I guess as much as I'm not "graphicist" ( I play Dominions 4 for instance ), I don't spend money on upgrading my PC to just play ugly looking games, even if they're slightly better in gameplay terms to the sequel, I'd rather just forget the old game and enjoy the beauty of the newer game  :lol:. Massive combined artillery and rocket bombardments in CoH2 are boner inducing.

Offline pingpong

• Earl
  • Renown: 423
  • Infamy: 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 08:15:30 pm »
That -66% off  sale sure is tempting but Men of War: Assault Squad 2 is coming out next month, with dat epic mission editor! So its no wonder they are dishing out free weekends now. :P

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2014, 08:25:02 pm »
I'm (still) having fun with CoH2, but is has a long while until it's as well polished as the original.

There are some weird balance issues going in. Foremost Soviets potential for wiping fully vetted squads is too strong. There are so many Soviet abilities (including 40 muni mines) that will entirely wipe a squad that every time I head out with an Ost army I know I will lose at least 1 squad, regardless of micro. Literally nothing I can do, not even an instant retreat from a Vet 3 Pgen squad will save it from being wiped by a KV-8. A game based so much on vetting units should not be luck based (and one sided). It's just bad mechanics.

1 CP call ins such as Shock/Guard is still broken if you ask me, the same for the Soviet Industry Commander with the 4 min T70. Too many hard counters, not enough room in the meta for other thing than new Commanders.

Relic still have a long way to go.

...And yet I still play it. Underneath all that grime and dirt, there is polish and solid mechanics. We just need to cut out all the BS first. 
Monkeys!

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 08:31:30 pm »
That -66% off  sale sure is tempting but Men of War: Assault Squad 2 is coming out next month, with dat epic mission editor! So its no wonder they are dishing out free weekends now. :P

Perhaps, but aside from the obvious similarities they're two really different games, this could be a last ditch attempt to grab some MoW fans and hope they buy some DLC too but personally I can't see them pulling this off just because of MoW AS2 being released in a month, I think really their aim is to get people to like the game on the free weekend, buy it for the big discount, then hope they buy skins, commanders and other DLCs to make more CHA CHING.

1 CP call ins such as Shock/Guard is still broken if you ask me, the same for the Soviet Industry Commander with the 4 min T70. Too many hard counters, not enough room in the meta for other thing than new Commanders.

Shocks cost 440 and reinforce for 36mp each, regardless of how early you can deploy them, if they're used unsuccessfully early in the game it'll damage the Soviet player a lot more than it would later in the game, so using them early is a risk that can hurt the soviet player himself. Plus if they're bought early you're extending the time taken to build the Tier 2 building and also give more reason for the German player to bring out more Anti-Infantry hard counters asap. Guards I can't comment on because I don't use them.

But yeah, the industry commander is a tad bullshit, I think it was nerfed already but it seems like it could do with more nerfing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:53:58 pm by Leesin »

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 09:15:54 pm »
Wish someone made a mod with Japan vs USA or USA vs Germany, Brits vs Germany or something. Russia is just too shitty and boring. If i were to play this i'd be Germany 24/7

visitors can't see pics , please register or login