Author Topic: Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Fronts  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Fronts
« on: April 20, 2013, 04:16:10 pm »
The closed beta has opened (wat  :lol:), like CoH2 on facebook to get a beta key: https://www.facebook.com/companyofheroes/app_351292091639277

Everyone who played CoH1 will instantly know how to play, tho the mechanics are deeper and more thought out. Initially I was a bit put off on how similar it is to the original game and the expansions, but after playing it 10+ hours I find it to stand well on it's own feet. Not liking the whole reward system/ranking up at all, but the customization is nice.

The battles flow back and forth, and is a nice change of pace to say Starcraft (which I play regularly). Here you focus more about making the right decisions, like  flanking, what resources to hold, if to engage during a snow storm instead of fine tuning mechanics, refining builds and microing. All that is still important and in the game, but the focus is shifted away from base building to combat.

The battles are.. elegant and immersive, though they can be over brutally fast if you're outplayed (my personal favourite is luring several veteran units into pinned position then calling in all my artillery on them).

If you enjoy highly competitive strategy games, with more focus on combat than base building, less microing and more decision making, try it out.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:29:50 pm by Jacko »
Monkeys!

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Company of Heroes 2 - Closed Beta
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 04:21:49 pm »
+2
Funny thing is that they tried to advertise line of sight etc. as innovative features in RTS genre, when in fact it's only innovative in the sense that the makers of CoH woke up, realized how much better Men of War games are than their popamole and decided to rip off the features. Same as they did with direct control before.

In CoH 3 they'll probably advertise it as 'first RTS ever to have fully destructible maps', still oblivious to the fact that MoW series did that ten years ago. Or rather hoping that their audience isn't interested in more realistic games anyway and has no idea.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:42:09 pm »
Had it pre ordered so ive been playing it for a little while, though i play strictly russians. Its definitely a good game, i enjoyed the
original and im enjoying this, it needs some fine tuning but thata what beta is about. Tot, sure men of war has these things, but who cares, two different games and id rather play coh. Tip for Russian players, conscripts are awesome, make sure to get atleast 3 units of them and unlock molotov and at grenades for them, using oorah ability you can devastate german posistions with epic flanking maneuevers. Also try to take the main fuel cap points and hold them, if the germans have them and the game lasts a while chances are they will overwhelm you with masses of their OP armour lol.

Excuse the bad writing, on my phone writing this shit lol.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:55:00 pm »
+1
men of war has these things, but who cares, two different games and id rather play coh

False advertising is the point and I think we should care when big company thinks their customers are idiots.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:19:13 pm »
I loved the original, had a blast with CoH:online (with exeption of some vet units) and having a blast with this as well. I was also put off at the start, but came to realise how good it is. PM me if you ever feel like playing, me and Logen have done a few games  :)
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Iymore

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 104
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balamir
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 05:20:03 pm »
hard

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 12:18:25 am »
yes jacko we must play
tor is a dota-addicted weakling

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 01:30:23 am »
is there a way to squad up on this?
Turtles

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 07:55:24 am »
is there a way to squad up on this?

Pretty sure you can just steam invite friends into your party and then you can search for public games, but I'm not 100% as I don't have any friends on steam that play it.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 10:27:23 am »
+1
Actually CoH is one of the few RTS games I've played online that doesn't involve bum rushing the enemy base within the first few minutes like Starcraft 2 and AoE. For some reason the MP seems to be much more about building your resources and fighting over the resources on the map than instantly dicking over your opponent because you memorised a build order. I also find it much easier to combat moves where people do try and do that. The games actually last for a relatively long period quite often.

For that reason alone I'll probably buy this as I played the first and expansions a lot.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 11:00:16 am »
Yeah, instead of the winner being who spams which unit or who knows their build order the best it's making the best move combat-wise. I liked the previous CoH games but I think I'll hold off on this one until at least the open beta comes out.
Pock gobblers

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 02:37:31 pm »
Funny thing is that they tried to advertise line of sight etc. as innovative features in RTS genre, when in fact it's only innovative in the sense that the makers of CoH woke up, realized how much better Men of War games are than their popamole and decided to rip off the features. Same as they did with direct control before.

In CoH 3 they'll probably advertise it as 'first RTS ever to have fully destructible maps', still oblivious to the fact that MoW series did that ten years ago. Or rather hoping that their audience isn't interested in more realistic games anyway and has no idea.

Well, they are two different games. Men of War focuses more on micro managing. I really enjoy the singleplayer but I find  the multiplayer tedious (clunky UI and inventory management). Realism is a bad balancer for a game (commanding an army is not about who wears what. That's just a bad boss peaking over your shoulder and telling you what to do). What marketing has said I have no idea. It is innovative for a competitive RTS. Has it been done before? Yeah, but it's still a good implemented feature.

I liked the previous CoH games but I think I'll hold off on this one until at least the open beta comes out.

Well, just like it on facebook and you'll get a key.

I play germans, usually focusing early on holding on (2 pio, 1-2 grenadier, mortar) then switching up to PGs and Stugs (Jaeger Doctrine). Late game usually a mix of mid high tier tanks hopefully with some veteran PG's and Grens (some games I even manage to keep the mortar alive to vet 3, hah!).

I play extremely aggressive, always capping always running around flanking. It works well since people tend to camp a lot. People keep forgetting that when you camp you lose the ability to choose your engagements.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:49:49 pm by Jacko »
Monkeys!

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 02:48:03 pm »
My first game involved me picking a general with a shit ton of passives I didn't use, my own fault for not checking carefully what units he buffed. Still manage to come top of my team and 2nd in  the 3v3. Katyusha rockets are much better than calliopes ever were.

Let that hellfire fall.
Turtles

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 03:36:45 pm »

Seriously? CoH is an evolution of Dawn of War games, also made by Relic...

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 04:08:57 pm »
Seriously? CoH is an evolution of Dawn of War games, also made by Relic...

And what does that have to do with anything I mentioned? Reading comprehension fail?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:13:15 pm by Tot. »