Author Topic: what does 1 speed translate to in wpf terms?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
what does 1 speed translate to in wpf terms?
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:34:18 am »
+1
if i have a 100 speed weapon and a 101 speed weapon (let's say 1h), how much more wpf will i need with the 100 speed weapon to be exactly as fast as the 101 speed weapon ?

so would i have the 101 speed + 130WPF = 100 speed + 140WPF etc ?

i would've looked on the crpg wiki but it seems to have disappeared o.O

anyway, hopefully someone will be able to answer this, thanks, corsair :))
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:39:46 am by Corsair831 »
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: what does 1 speed translate to in wpf terms?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 03:04:49 am »
+18
I don't know this, but i know that 20 WPF = 7 cheeseburgers. Maybe that helps?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Shaksie

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Double Thickshake
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 03:12:47 am »
This is a good question!

I would like more exact values with units; such as length being in cm (I know, it probably is but meh.) and speed being how fast it will swing in seconds, with 1 wpf.
Also, I think it could be cool if some weapons had variation in swing speed, such as the longer weapons should have poor swing speeds, relative to their stab speed.
This could be told by say, clicking on the speed then it would have the % of the base swing speed, which the swing you are looking at takes.
Take a Poleaxe for example, which has speed 89; which could (it doesn't, I'm making this up) equate to a speed of 1s. The stab speed could be 100% of the speed, or perhaps more because, to my limited knowledge, I would've assumed that Poleaxes would be for stabbing because they would be very heavy in real life. The left/right (these could probably be interchangeable) could be 85% and the overhead, because it is so long and heavy, could have a measly swing speed of 75%.
This would equate to the overhead having a swing speed of 1.3s and the stab remaining at 1s.
WPF could reduce the speed of a weapon by a set value, for example 1 wpf= 0.01 sec faster (this is probably not enough, I've no idea).
In my opinion this would differentiate weapons from others and allow players to select the exact type of weapon they want for their playstyle.

what does 1 speed translate to in wpf terms?
Sorry for not answering your question; I've no idea but this could give us more of an idea! :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:45:18 am by Shaksie »
VERY nice boy :)

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:04:27 am »
I do not think people ever deducted a function to convert wpf to speed.

Most speed test are done by a guy hitting out in the air a hundred times and seeing how long it took with different weapon proficiencies.

Anyway, I would say that you need between 5-10 maybe less to make up for one speed, from experience (though there is no proof of this).

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »
+5
http://forum.meleegaming.com/beginner's-help-and-guides/weapon-attack-speed-and-proficiency-and-not-agility/msg42737/#msg42737

You can probably pretty much deduct it from here. The thing is though that wpf offers a speed increase relative to weapon speed whereas the weapon speed value increases speed absolutely. It's impossible to express 1 speed in wpf terms overall, you can only really do it per weapon.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:43:24 pm »
http://forum.meleegaming.com/beginner's-help-and-guides/weapon-attack-speed-and-proficiency-and-not-agility/msg42737/#msg42737

You can probably pretty much deduct it from here. The thing is though that wpf offers a speed increase relative to weapon speed whereas the weapon speed value increases speed absolutely. It's impossible to express 1 speed in wpf terms overall, you can only really do it per weapon.

ty :))

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 07:48:42 pm »
Weapon "speed" is two things. You have the time between the instant you press your mouse button and the moment your swing is ready, then you have the time it takes between the moment you release the button and the end of the active animation phase. And even that isn't really important during gameplay, because you want to hit at the first instant that will do full damage, which is earlier than half the animation time.

Anyway out of these two things I don't know what wpf and weapon speed do. I think they both only influence the latter but I'm not sure.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 08:16:31 pm »
Weapon "speed" is two things. You have the time between the instant you press your mouse button and the moment your swing is ready, then you have the time it takes between the moment you release the button and the end of the active animation phase. And even that isn't really important during gameplay, because you want to hit at the first instant that will do full damage, which is earlier than half the animation time.

Anyway out of these two things I don't know what wpf and weapon speed do. I think they both only influence the latter but I'm not sure.

The time from the click till it hits mid-animation afaik, but the different classes have different chambering time and release time. Polearms, for example, release an attack very fast, but chambering the attack is slow, which means it's a good class for holds, wiggles and chambers, but not too good for feinting.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:57:23 pm »
+5
Weapon "speed" is two things. You have the time between the instant you press your mouse button and the moment your swing is ready, then you have the time it takes between the moment you release the button and the end of the active animation phase.

That's not weapon speed, it's ready and release phases. Weapon speed is a modifier that affects both.

And even that isn't really important during gameplay, because you want to hit at the first instant that will do full damage, which is earlier than half the animation time.

Higher weapon speed = shorter ready/release animations = takes less time to reach maximum damage potential.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 09:14:23 pm »
+6
The time from the click till it hits mid-animation afaik, but the different classes have different chambering time and release time. Polearms, for example, release an attack very fast, but chambering the attack is slow, which means it's a good class for holds, wiggles and chambers, but not too good for feinting.

AFAIK all ready animations have the exact same base duration (0.35s).

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:17:08 pm »
Thanks for the info

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 12:53:24 pm »
That's not weapon speed, it's ready and release phases. Weapon speed is a modifier that affects both.

Higher weapon speed = shorter ready/release animations = takes less time to reach maximum damage potential.

Regarding the bolded text, cmp: does this mean you need to hold a swing for less time to reach its maximum damage potential?

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »
I honestly believe it just goes weapon by weapon and that's it. Some weps are buffed some are not. I have 150 wpf. I picked up a spiked mace with 98 speed, its slow as balls. I pick up a iron staff with 0 wpf and its fast as heck. In a game where the main component is people backing up faster and swinging, or getting killed by their wrists. There is no science or anything special.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 03:05:54 pm »
AFAIK all ready animations have the exact same base duration (0.35s).

Im hit by stabs before there is an animation, with pole arms alot

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 03:08:58 pm »
Im hit by stabs before there is an animation, with pole arms alot

thats because they changed how stabbing works in crpg ... it's really easily abusable in crpg since the change, if you get enough damage (wpf + weapon damage) and your weapon isn't TOO long you can basically stab people ridiculously fast because it ignores/bypasses the usual armour bouncing mechanic that they put in native to stop that ... thus the reason people wanted the insta crpg stab removed for ages