Author Topic: Reduce Arbalest Overnerf  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Rumsfeld

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Reduce Arbalest Overnerf
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:20:00 am »
I haven't played c-rpg in several months and played a few hours today to give it another try hoping arbalests had been un-nerfed a bit.  With the incredibly long Reload time their damage is just too low and they have too high a repair cost.

Super long reload time
people often survive 3 direct hits
and 1315 repair is way too high

After 6 hours of playing giving it another go I had lost money.

I appreciate the nerfing of crossbows to promote melee gameplay.  But with arbalests crazy long reload time please reduce the nerf of their damage and reduce their high repair costs.

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
Re: Reduce Arbalest Overnerf
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:59:22 am »
+2
Most people die in 1-2 arbalests shots. I have never seen anyone survive 3.

I make money using an arbalest by the way, you must be using the wrong equipment with it.

If anything the arbalest should be nerfed more then it already is.

reasons being:
-Insanely accurate
-deals 100 base pierce damage with one shot.
-High missile speed
-High chance to penetrate some good shields

Downsides:
-slow reload time (fixed by high wpf [I know because I load mine really fast])
-expensive upkeep (but still manageable, I make money consistently).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:40:30 am by Phantasmal »
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 03:07:59 am »
+1
Make William Tell build and use the Heavy xbow. It's much more fun.

William Tell = 12/30 10ATH 10WM 189 Xbow all fun all the time.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:24:25 am »

reasons being:
-Insanely accurate
-deals 100 base pierce damage with one shot.
-High missile speed
-High chance to penetrate some good shields

Downsides:
-slow reload time (fixed by high wpf [I know because I load mine really fast])
-expensive upkeep (but still manageable, I make money consistently).

Genius cRPG player, quotes MW damage and other buffs rather than standard item. Unless 81 + 6 = 100?
Also, with same wpf, heavy xbow is more accurate

Offline Rumsfeld

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 04:29:35 am »
Even against archers it takes 2 shots if there is any kind of distance.

And if the person is wearing armor it's 2-3.

Str build? Forget it.

Crossbows needed a nerf from native; arbalests are just a bit overnerfed here.  You have to play one with the reload time and repair price to see it.

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 05:05:02 am »
+2
Genius cRPG player, quotes MW damage and other buffs rather than standard item. Unless 81 + 6 = 100?
Also, with same wpf, heavy xbow is more accurate

My apologies, I went to my inventory and quoted my stats for my gear. Regardless, even at +0 you are still dealing a significant amount of damage (87 Pierce damage). I still find it hard to believe that most players survive more then 3 shots. When I was using +0 arb and +0 Steel bolts a few months ago, very few people survived more then 2 hits. You may not be able to pierce as many shields with +0 arb, but you still have an extremely fast Missile Speed (this holds true for both MW arb and +0 arb) making it easier to line up far shots.

Also you are more accurate with the heavy xbow then the arbalest, but the difference is negligible. Whether this holds true for all xbows is another story. I tested +0 arb against +0 hunting xbow (which should be the more accurate according to the calculations but in game it is not). If you would like me to post screens I would be happy to.
Crossbows needed a nerf from native; arbalests are just a bit overnerfed here.  You have to play one with the reload time and repair price to see it.

I am a crossbowman (specifically an arbalest user) and I have been for 9 generations. I know the arbalest reload time and find it to be fair. There is no way you should be putting down 87 pierce damage every second and it makes every shot you take need to count. It also encourages one to have good battlefield awareness. I have made my equipment build to compensate for the upkeep cost of an arbalest. There are 2 reasons why you may be losing money:

-6 hours is not a long enough sample size to decide whether or not your upkeep is effective (it may average out eventually).
-The equipment you are using is too expensive.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:35:27 am by Phantasmal »
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 05:38:01 am »
+3
Even against archers it takes 2 shots if there is any kind of distance.

And if the person is wearing armor it's 2-3.

Str build? Forget it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 06:59:37 am »
+2
I remember shooting maduin point blank 4 times in the chest in siege with an unloomed arbalest....I was like this will be the one...no this will be it. I didn't kill maduin so I will never know which shot would've been the last. *sobs*

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:08:04 am »
I remember shooting maduin point blank 4 times in the chest in siege with an unloomed arbalest....I was like this will be the one...no this will be it. I didn't kill maduin so I will never know which shot would've been the last. *sobs*

My god. Are you sure it was not raining?

Offline Little Lord Lollipop

• Duke
  • Renown: 582
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: Frumpty_Dumpty_ATTS
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 07:29:10 am »
+2
Fine as is.
Dear Little Lord Lollipop
You have received a warning for being a total twat.
Best Regards,
The cRPG Forum Team

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 11:25:11 am »
+3
Upkeep can be rough with the random chances, but overall it's not too bad. Slow reload is not an issue you if you are dedicated arbalest (few people) or hybrid with some melee (slower to reload but still very easy to manage, most people use this build).

Even with the heavier ammo equipment, you can still easily run to cover and reload. Towards the end of the round this gets risky but no item is good at everything.

The part that bothers me most is that firing in close range produces a shot too fast to dodge, and deals more damage with higher shield penetration chance than a long range shot.  The best way to get the most damage out of each shot is to play as a thrower that needs to reload after every attack. Even so, the arbalest can put down almost anyone in 2 shots from a distance (if your xbow/bolts are loomed). Heavy armor and a good melee weapon will raise your upkeep too far. You need to wear lighter armor and choose a cheap backup weapon to get the most out of an arbalest. Otherwise, there would be no reason NOT to take an arbalest over a regular crossbow in any build.

Arbalest is far from underpowered, and doesn't need a buff. The playstyle is just very different compared to other builds, even other crossbow builds. Learn to take advantage of its strengths and reduce penalties as far as you can.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 12:40:57 pm »
+6
I almost always get oneshot with arbs on my archer char (~25 body armor, 18 str, 0 IF), sometimes get oneshot on 2h alt (~45 body armor, 20str, 0 IF) and sometimes even on 1h alt (~45 body armor, 15 str, 5 IF).

I wish i was in the same dimension as you are.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 12:45:09 pm »
You probably missed this topic.

http://forum.meleegaming.com/game-balance-discussion/is-arbalest-ok/

I still think all I wrote there, it doesn't make sense to have sniper weapon that reloads for ages if you can't one shoot at least archers. And I couldn't, since I am not Dave and hit more headshots than bodyshots.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 02:33:49 pm »
+4
No, it doesn't make sense to have a sniper weapon, that is not particularly hard to hit with and kills in a single BODY hit.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 02:37:00 pm »
I almost always get oneshot with arbs on my archer char (~25 body armor, 18 str, 0 IF), sometimes get oneshot on 2h alt (~45 body armor, 20str, 0 IF) and sometimes even on 1h alt (~45 body armor, 15 str, 5 IF).

I wish i was in the same dimension as you are.

Well, you're lightly armoured, and the OP uses a non-heirloomed Arbalest which is actually rare in the battlefield these days. The difference is quite huge due to how armour mitigates damage.

Most people have heirloomed stuff, if you have the heirloom graphics pack it's quite obvious unloomed crossbows are a rarity. As are non-heirloomed bows, for that matter.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".