Author Topic: hoplite needs a serious nerf  (Read 10441 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: hoplite needs a serious nerf
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2013, 12:58:54 am »
But those classes can also shoot from afar if they stand still (HX can be accurate while riding at full speed too). I don't think throwing would be the perfect solution to that, even though it is something to consider.

On the other hand, HA/HX have no counter; but they are not needed to be countered as well. They have lower usefulness/time ratio than the other classes most of the time. HA/HX can only wound a few and maybe kill one or two while the enemy 2hander hero can potentailly slash 5 enemies. No doubt it can turn out to be 1 HA/HX versus 5 enemies in the end.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2013, 01:31:41 am »
+4

Have you seen how easy it is to chamber-kick now?
Yes, I think I have seen it happen a staggering total of about two times in battle since it was implemented, of which one was done by me just for the sake of it. Truly worth being noted in a balance argument.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2013, 08:29:25 am »
Have you seen how easy it is to land a kick now?
l2jump
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2013, 10:31:10 am »

Have you seen how easy it is to chamber-kick now?

I assume this to be a shallow troll post.

Also yes it is incredibly easy to land kicks right now. As a shielder already used to kicking without blocking, the gigantic reach makes things even easier. When you are on the right side of the kick anyway.

Kicking just after attacking with a long 2D pole is now even easier too because that always was the easiest setup to kick with in the first place. People defending the playstyle always argue "you only have to downblock, attack, downblock, attack" and that is 100% bullshit, between the constant attempts at kicking and double hitting whoever with a little 2D pole experience will pull off, there's much more to fighting those types than just downblocking.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2013, 10:44:01 am »
+1
the battle server looks like 30% hoplite and 40% 2H. I hate both classes. not because they are 'viable'. but because of the fact that they dont have any class counters. they counter every single class. (except 2H maybe)

That's bullshit. Especially this "40% 2H". Recently I play a battle quite a lot and I'd say there's more shielders and polearmers than 2handers.

2h are countered by ranged, and hoplites are countered by people able to perform this sequence: downblock, attack, downblock, attack...

and that's the problem with fighting against hoplite, it's so bloody boring  :rolleyes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2013, 11:58:37 am »
+2
Despite how much  i dislike fighting against hoplites, they are sometimes a source of great comedy.

Ever watched two hoplites fight each other?  hahahaha.........

Offline Ulter

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Duke_Henry_HRE
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2013, 12:44:40 pm »
Well apparently people finally realised that teamwork is effective, and hoplites are the class which benefits the most from fighting in group. This could be a reason why we see more and more of them. The only problem I see when fighting hoplites in 1 v 1 is that it takes a long time to take one down.

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2013, 01:30:46 pm »
Spartans knew shit for sure.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2013, 01:35:22 pm »
Well apparently people finally realised that teamwork is effective, and hoplites are the class which benefits the most from fighting in group. This could be a reason why we see more and more of them. The only problem I see when fighting hoplites in 1 v 1 is that it takes a long time to take one down.
Unless they're purely holding S and blocking it really doesn't, it's fairly easy to get behind shields or chamber their stabs if they're playing the least bit notjustholdingblock.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2013, 01:40:53 pm »
+1
Rather than hoplite being nerfed, i wouldn't mind some more love for the 1D and 2D polearms.

If you consider an hoplite being hopeless in 1v1, then what is your choice of word when it's a longspear in 1v1 ?  Kick/stab with a longspear is pretty hard (well, the stab is).
They also need to manual block, compared to shielders, and most of their thrusts will end up with them getting staggered when blocked, you don't have the time to correctly block, except sideways.

You also have the same strange "i hit someone 10 cm to the right of my aim, who was obviously a teammate, wtf". Wich could get a little fix, since it's silly.

So yes, hoplites are stronger than 1d and 2d polearms. But OP ? No. No. No no no.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2013, 03:56:08 pm »
Long spears kick hop stab is just ridiculous.

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2013, 04:08:43 pm »
+2
Speaking of ridiculous stabs, 2h lol stab anyone?
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2013, 04:54:57 pm »
+2
I assume this to be a shallow troll post.

Yup. I actually wrote a proper response, just the forum ate it so I typed that bit instead.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2013, 08:18:52 pm »
+1

Yup. I actually wrote a proper response, just the forum ate it so I typed that bit instead.

One internet !

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2013, 10:07:34 pm »
Rather than hoplite being nerfed, i wouldn't mind some more love for the 1D and 2D polearms.

If you consider an hoplite being hopeless in 1v1, then what is your choice of word when it's a longspear in 1v1 ?  Kick/stab with a longspear is pretty hard (well, the stab is).
They also need to manual block, compared to shielders, and most of their thrusts will end up with them getting staggered when blocked, you don't have the time to correctly block, except sideways.

You also have the same strange "i hit someone 10 cm to the right of my aim, who was obviously a teammate, wtf". Wich could get a little fix, since it's silly.

So yes, hoplites are stronger than 1d and 2d polearms. But OP ? No. No. No no no.

Which is why you see so many more hoplites than pikemen now. Hoplites have similar reach to a long spear, more damage, protection from ranged (shield), better turn rates, etc. 2d polearms have the worst of both worlds; crappy reach, crappy turn rates, similar damage to a hoplite, all so they can get a crappy overhead (not so useful with poor turn rates), faster attacks, and possibly shieldbreaking (swiss).

Hoplites are fine right now, pikemen are a bit weak, and 2d polearms need a major buff. I've only seen one dedicated 2d polearm user (Stop with his Swiss) in over a month.