Author Topic: "Lag" on hit  (Read 601 times)

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
"Lag" on hit
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:49:48 am »
+2
For quite a while now I have had this odd "delay" or "lag" on hits, whether or not that is hitting a block (any type) or hitting the enemy.

I've tried all sorts to get rid of it, I've changed my graphics settings drastically and it has made no difference, I've pressed practically every button there is. I thought it might be the server load, so I tried to play when there was only 12 people (including myself) online and it was still there. I've tried with and without WSE to no avail.

It happens both on melee & with ranged, when I shoot, I watch the arrow go through and there is a delay. At first I thought it was my internet connection, its notorious for being terrible thanks to Virgin Media (do not use them in the South of Hampshire, the local UBR is broken!) but I minimised the effects by, as I say, being online in the morning.

Its rather weird and really starting to mess up my timing, I do not get it on any Native server but it is prominent on cRPG, I specifically play EU 1 for the most part.

I'm looking to record a quick snippet and highlight when I mean, just so people can see what I mean, I find it a little difficult to explain. I've asked around, mainly within the admin chat (sorry lads) and a couple of people have had a similar problem, but apparently they no longer do.

I'll edit when I have something suitable.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
Re: "Lag" on hit
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:21:46 am »
Have you only played on EU 1 with this problem?

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 10:29:48 am »
No although the effect seems lessened on other servers.

I should have elaborated on "I do not get it on any Native server but it is prominent on cRPG, I specifically play EU 1 for the most part".

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:00:19 pm »
+1

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 01:53:12 pm »
cRPG is generally really laggy for me, though the worst part is animation lag after hitting something, it feels like blocking/being hit animation overlaps swinging back animation and the latter one has to "catch up" afterwards plus I have input lag then. Not sure if thats what you mean, Tenne, but that's what I've been having since the dawn of time on all multiplayer server excluding those which are in my country and where I have ping below 40. Playing on those is like heaven.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:03:57 pm by Tot. »
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 02:13:29 pm »
cRPG is generally really laggy for me, though the worst part is animation lag after hitting something, it feels like blocking/being hit animation overlaps swinging back animation and the latter one has to "catch up" afterwards plus I have input lag then. Not sure if thats what you mean, Tenne, but that's what I've been having since the dawn of time on all multiplayer server excluding those which are in my country and where I have ping below 40. Playing on those is like heaven.

Very similar, I do get the input lag after the contact has been made, which doesn't help at all but the major thing is the visuals. The swing will look as if it has struck but no sound will play, there is a "dead period" before things catch up and contact is made, it is milliseconds in reality but it is noticeable enough. It happens between the "visual hit cue" and the "audible hit cue", the dead zone happens then, from everything I have had so far I can only work out that the server doesn't think things are moving as fast as they are on my screen or something. Positioning is different maybe?
Once the dead zone leaves, I have input lag before I can do anything again and quite often this leads me to be "insta-hit" or have people walk through me.

I used to have an issue with WSE where if I moved too quickly while swinging, I would start to slide around, stick in one position on the screen but be elsewhere on the server, this seems to be the opposite, as if the server can't handle everything that is going on, which seems rather odd given I was playing with 12 people this morning (with a 10 high ping than 2 months ago, but that is a different issue altogether) which really shouldn't be buggering up a server with such a small load.

It almost feels as if the server should be restarted, but I'm sure that isn't the case.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 02:23:13 pm »
+1
I am not a good player, as everybody knows, so my point of view isn't as prominent as others maybe and it makes me probably less sensible towards all those animation-technical-gibberish...

...but I noticed that I am missing blocks although I am very sure that I actually pressed the button and the correct side in time. Still, it seems like it isn't fast enough in-game to actually make my character block.
Yes, I suck and in most cases I simply do it wrong but there are those rare occasions where I actually blocked in time with my "mouse" but my character refuses to do so on my screen.

TL;DR: Maybe I have the same issue concerning the input-lag... sometimes.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.