Author Topic: Frightening new policy: Nerfing Overused Items  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
Re: Frightening new policy: Nerfing Overused Items
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 10:22:08 pm »
and i always thought we nerfed the items that were overused because they were overpowered :(
Overused items aren't necessarily overpowered.  :wink:
Don't mind the fish.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 10:33:21 pm »
If possible, I prefer either balance by buffing, or balance by specialization. I have seen these  implemented with great success in other games.

I believe in this case, hybidization and some strong components of certain items needed to be fixed.

For balance by buffing, people don't like to have things get nerfed unless there is one tactic/item that stands out far above the rest. In this case, there were many items involved. I think increasing the number of counters to specific classes instead of nerfing everything may have been an alternative.

Balance by specialization is pretty much making the item a little different. Nerfing the overpowered aspect, but giving it certain quirks that still allows it to stand out in a less broken way. Speed, power, range, wpf relationships, etc.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 11:53:40 pm »
I disagree with the OP entirely. I think he is just crying because his heavy lance is no longer the best at everything and that its advantages now come with certain maluses thereby making alternative weapons a viable choice and reducing the pure unchallenged power of his weapon.

I think it is far better to have a system by which there is no "super item". There should not be for example a lance that is de facto "the best". There should be a lance that is the best at damage, there is a lance that should be the best for speed, a lance that is best for XYZ.

I support the route that the item changes have taken. To illustrate I will give more specific examples with the types of weapons I know most about. 2h swords.

For example let us look at the two handed swords. Now due to large nerfs to damage and other stats of the 2h swords across the board weapons are much more alike. However at the same time this actually serves to make their differences more relevant. Previously I only ever used my longsword when on a horse, nowadays it is a viable weapon as infantry as well. This is because of the reduced effectiveness of for example the german greatsword. This was no doubt one of the most popular 2h weapon before this patch. Now though you sacrifice a lot of speed compared to the longsword for just a few points more damage.

Thus the longsword is now a much more viable weapon. The difference between that and the greatsword is now smaller but now the greatsword is not so much better that you actually have a choice. The increased speed may now be worth the reduced damage (I certainly think it is on occasion).

Of course before we technically had choice, we could, if we wanted, choose to take an inferior weapon but what sort of a choice is that? Now we have a true choice. Speed versus range and damage. I hope that this "policy" will continue.

(However I should add that overall I think 2h weapons too an overly strong hit in effectiveness relative to other weapon types this patch, I do like the balance within the 2h weapon school more than before for the above reasons.)

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 02:35:05 am »
They nerfed weapons which were NOT overused and NOT overpowered, such as staffs.

Have you ever help anyone whine about staffs?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 02:39:24 am »
Have you ever help anyone whine about staffs?

Yes, but it was on the duel server, and they were scrubs.   :wink:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Sayton

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 02:56:15 am »
I'm gonna go out on a limb and trust that the devs have brains of their own. If something got over-nerfed they will probably change it later. This is a beta after all, some trial and error is to be expected.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 04:31:48 am »
Brrrraaaaaaaiiiiinnnnnssss

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 05:32:37 am »
I am sure that 60% of crpg players used masterwork greatswords not because it was OP,they just liked how it looks :rolleyes:
Even if great bardiche will be nerfed and will have in result -15 damage I will still use it.Even if great maul will loose his crushthrough and will be useless I shall use it.Because I like how this weapon looks.Most of people try to use OP weapon,so nerfing overused items is a right policy.After few patches crpg will have almost ideal balance.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 06:40:08 am »
Pfff, what did I type whilst being a dribbling wreck from the nightclub?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:04:14 am by Murmillus_Prime »
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen Of Fenada
  • Game nicks: Opiumdk
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 06:55:58 am »
and i always thought we nerfed the items that were overused because they were overpowered :(

Spear + shield combo was rarely used and hardly overpowered before the patch, now its completely useless.

I could be wrong but i think in the process of nerfing 2h lolstabs, all other stabs were buttfucked too.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 07:30:31 am »
Removed since it was Murm's drunken quote XD
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:01:54 am by Oberyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 08:05:23 am »
"Overused items" should not exist. The purpose of this mod should be to have a variety of different weaponry out in the field, if there is 1 or 2 "best" weapons out of each class, that are being used by most of people - then its a fail. All weapons should be made viable and your survivability should be more dependent of your teamwork and maybe personal skill rather then the weapon you use.

Also (i'm lazy to write in more then one thread atm): since the patch was announced there is nothing but whining and crying, why was this nerfed, why was that nerfed, everything was fucking nerfed. Protip: watch Oberyn play, he is still using the same weapon as before (and it got heavily nerfed from what i read here), and he still rocks. Its about the player and being able to adapt to changes, and the best part of it is that he could probably rock&roll (as he does) with any weapon you can think of. Half of this community should just stfu and gtfo with their useless comments.
Oh, and feel free to paste this reply of mine into every single whining&crying thread they opened in the last 2 or 3 days.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:43 am »
  -move on to the next one, creating a new overused one, creating an endless cycle of nerfing

That is the perfect cyrcle of reinnovating!
I dont agree with you. People will chose the best items, that is a fact, so when you nerve them game balance will become better.

Nerving overused items will evolute this mod.
" ME LONG WOOD PIECE WITH SHARP STONE AT PEAK.ME COME RIDE TO YOU ON BIG ANIMAL FAST."

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 10:44:24 am »
"Overused items" should not exist. The purpose of this mod should be to have a variety of different weaponry out in the field, if there is 1 or 2 "best" weapons out of each class, that are being used by most of people - then its a fail. All weapons should be made viable and your survivability should be more dependent of your teamwork and maybe personal skill rather then the weapon you use.

Also (i'm lazy to write in more then one thread atm): since the patch was announced there is nothing but whining and crying, why was this nerfed, why was that nerfed, everything was fucking nerfed. Protip: watch Oberyn play, he is still using the same weapon as before (and it got heavily nerfed from what i read here), and he still rocks. Its about the player and being able to adapt to changes, and the best part of it is that he could probably rock&roll (as he does) with any weapon you can think of. Half of this community should just stfu and gtfo with their useless comments.
Oh, and feel free to paste this reply of mine into every single whining&crying thread they opened in the last 2 or 3 days.
I still do well too, but that doesn't mean the nerfing was justified. Phyrex does well too, yet his weapon is getting a buff next patch.

And Gnjus, there is no way to prevent it, thats the whole point, there will always be a weapon people overuse. But people seem to be forgetting that looks play a big part in this as well.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 11:04:37 am »
Pfff, what did I type whilst being a dribbling wreck from the nightclub?
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.