• cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Long Bow is too good compared to Rus Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:52:43 pm »
+5
Never though I'd see such a post  :lol:

I don't see to much of a problem. Rus bow has 6 extra speed and only loses 4 accuracy and 3 damage. So it's basically speed vs damage.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:56:12 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Nazurdin

• Earl
  • Renown: 309
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Faridah_HRE, Rotkappchen_HRE, Frida_von_Krems
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:04:05 pm »
+2
Aww, and I remember times when nobody would use the bloody thing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline donib

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow money, slow problems
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Donib
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:07:19 pm »
I thought the effective accuracy was in relation the damage. So lets say bow a has 100 acc and 40 damage vs bow b with 90 accuracy but 20 damage. I thought that was a game mechanic, i think i read it somewhere on the forum when i wanted to try archery.

So the netto difference in long bow and rus bow is: Longbow does 3 more damage and has 1 more accuracy. This is justified because the of the price difference, but i think they should put both in the same range but make a solid difference in the two and not just make one weapon completely inferior than the other.

But thats an issue in general in this game, as you have made earlier topics about the arming sword i believe, it just doesnt give any benefit to wield a crappy weapon.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 06:12:12 pm »
+2
WHAAAYYYYYYY KULIN

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:58:29 pm »
+3
6 draw speed isn't slight, it is significant.

Try a longbow vs rus bow duel and see who wins if you don't believe me.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:03:28 pm »
+5
I will tell you the same as before Kulin. Now a bit more detailed however, since I have a bit more time than ingame.

The longbow is now a viable choice because the rusbow got nerfed. Everyone and their mother was using a rusbow before while being cheaper. The point of nerfing the rusbow was to adress exactly that issue, with success. Now there is a point in using the longbow for a hard hitting bow and the rusbow as a good alrounder. Aside, I still see a lot of people with rusbows these days. If you would now nerf the longbow it would pretty much ruin the accomplishment of diversity that has just been gained, resulting in 2 equally nerfed bows in the end.

The difference in speedrating from 50 to 56 is also a lot more significant than you might imagine. Contrary to your post, the longbow, although having more accuracy, consumes more wpf than the rusbow. The fact that it is so slow to draw requires you to have a certain minimum of WPF in order to release an arrow before your reticule starts to enlarge. For archer duels the speedrating is actually THE most important stat above all else. No matter in what situation, speedrating is always vital. People tend to jump out of cover, come round corners, try to backlance you etc. In those kind of situations, it is the speedrating ( and your wpf of course ) that decides whether you have the time to release an arrow or not. In big clusterfucks, the timewindows in which you can place a clean shot before something interrupts your shot are often very, very small. The very short "steady-reticule-time" of the longbow does not make this easier either. The list goes on.

All in all Kulin, I dont think your intention behind this is to lobby against archery but quite frankly, I think you judged too soon on that matter. Apart from that, you seemed to be a bit mad today on EU4. Had a bad day ? :wink:

( Also those pictures are weird since the longbow weights 4 now, not 1.5 )

Offline Kamirane

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:24:01 pm »
6 draw speed isn't slight, it is significant.

Try a longbow vs rus bow duel and see who wins if you don't believe me.

so true.... and because of the pullspeed, misslespeed and upkeep too, alot of ppl using Hornbow instead of Yumi+

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 02:23:06 am »
+2
I had a pure archer build with 6 wpm and at level 33 I still couldn't aim the longbow perfectly, that reticule jumps so quickly that you literally have like 1-2 seconds to shoot before it expands to the point of being inaccurate.

I used the longbow for a year and a half. I've seen it be both the best and worth choices for archers, now in this era of archery its well balanced to the Horn, Yumi, and Rus.

Is your main even an archer or are you just a melee player that dabbles in archery so that you can claim on the forums its op to get it nerfed?

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 01:04:31 pm »
+1
Lots of points Kulin. Adressing all of these in detail would just escalate in another theoretical archery balance discussion, saturated with "arguments" which, if at all, hold true merely to very idealized circumstances ingame. And I have already participated in those a lot more times than I am comfortable with.

But, let me tell you, I was not assuming that you were in a bad mood because of your suggestion, I was assuming so because of the way you were talking about it ingame. Since you are still assuring me that it was not the case, fine, a misunderstanding then.

I always was a longbower, even when it was inferior to the rusbow, and I will continue to use the longbow because, as you said youself, style before stats. Since we have no information regarding certain marketplace offers I would not eliminate the possibility that some people trading there simply think alike. My point being, assuming that everyone of those people want to have a longbow because its the non plus ultra bow would be a bit of a hasty decision. They might just want it for the looks, roleplay, try it out, whatever, etc.

Unless you dont present any actual video footage that shows that your complaints hold true, I am afraid this thread will be just considered empty words.

Offline Jimjam

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
    • Ripster
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Jimjam
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 01:27:46 pm »
+4
I am trying to trade my +3 Rus back for my +3 Long bow.

I used Long bow for 9 Gens and almost done 1 Gen with Rus bow now.

To be honest I prefer the damage and accuracy over draw speed however I think both the bows are balanced in comparison to each other. The speed is very useful for dueling other ranged and also for hitting cav who are about to hit you in the back - you cant always draw quick enough with the long bow and get run over.

I also prefer the long bow because I am more of a archer that shoots from a distance rather getting up close which is some peoples preferred playing style, each to their own.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 01:36:05 am »
+4
Yeah, that must be it, cause why in the hell would anyone be complaining about their own weapon/build?

Why is it that people value more suggestions coming from other classes, than those coming straight from the source? I especially found it funny when people on EU4 claimed I "must be having a bad day" in real life just cause I was speaking in this way about my own item. I wonder what those same people would say if they knew I actually own 2 MW Long Bows.

I used to think that rebalance patch was good, but I am now pretty sure it was only good on paper.

It is a win-win scenario for me, but I still claim that Long Bow is too damn accurate. Ranges you can engage targets with it are on par with a regular m16 assault rifle.

And lastly, if you ask those same people to trade away their Long Bow for Rus if it is all the same to them, they will make excuses like how they really enjoy Long Bow's look... pffffft, right. If you really think those bows are well balanced, than go ahead and accept one of these offers, because these people seem to think otherwise:

In this post, the problem isn't that you don't understand the bow (as above with the 6 draw speed), this time you don't understand economics and the marketplace. The RUS bow was the best bow for so long, and I mean over a year, that very few, if anyone bothered to MW a long bow. That means that there are very few available for trade compared to the over abundant Rus bow. After several months have gone by with people looming long bows again to MW, you will see the balance in the marketplace work itself back out again. Until that time, yes, you will have a hard time trading your MW Rus bow for MW long bows that don't yet exist in great numbers.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 01:39:30 am »
 thought accuracy didn't even matter past the number value of 99.  :lol:   I thought that was hard coded in.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 02:19:15 am »
+1
Buff all bows to have +1 damage except long bow.

Balance achieved.

OP is right, there is really a shortage of viable bows.  You basically have 2 choices: Rus or Long...and Long is clearly the better choice right now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:01:01 am by Garison »

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 09:29:53 am »
+1
I perfectly understand that there is abundance of MW Rus Bows and I do understand that market =/= balance, but why is it that people have loomed so many Long Bows in the first place, while trying to get rid of Rus Bows at the same time?

It is because Long Bow is obviously a better choice for archer, a superior choice really.

The only thing the longbow is superior in is killing tin-can melee people with no shields that have a snail like movement speed, it also does well for shooting horses. Rus/Horn are superior against other ranged, agi melee, shielders, the evil horse ranged, and against cav up close or mid-range. Hell, I could use a short bow and kill a longbow archer before they could even fire off a shot. A peasant with stones and 50 wpf in throwing can completely ruin a longbow archer. You don't seem to grasp all the negative traits that come with using a longbow.

Also the most loomed bow is the Horn Bow, so good fight. You just don't see it on the marketplace because every archer owns one or at least has access to one.

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.