Author Topic: Reason I quit my archer  (Read 2347 times)

Offline brockssn

• Baron
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Reason I quit my archer
« on: March 22, 2013, 03:06:13 pm »
+13
Archers need a top shot award (like valour) that rewards the archer. I remember getting 13 points in one round with my 15 arrows and nothing, no valour, no reward, just a reminder how much archers get shafted in the points system. The only times I got valour was when I killed people with my 1h'r. The reason I got sick of it was because he was my alt and I wanted to farm looms for my main, but I realized the lack of valour meant the crazy long retirement cycles I had to do.

Not saying buff archers, just fix the damn point system for them.

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
Re: Reason I quit my archer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 03:07:53 pm »
+7
I agree that the it's almost impossible to get valor as an archer. Unless you drop the bow and go melee, that's how I lvl'ed up my archer alt, didn't even spawn with a bow&arrows.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 03:29:16 pm »
+4
I think if you looked up the meaning of the word valor, you will find out why your archer isnt getting any.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 03:35:24 pm »
+18
I think if you looked up the meaning of the word valor, you will find out why your archer isnt getting any.
valour US, valor [ˈvælə]
n
courage or bravery, esp in battle
[from Late Latin valor, from valēre to be strong]

Turns out heavily armored 2h/glaive users shouldn't be getting it :o

Good catch.

Nothing about archers, though.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:53:26 pm »
+2
There is a reason why ranged (incl. crossbows) do not get as many points as melee.

Ranged can pick any target, which means their role is not limited to dealing as much damage as possible, but they are suppose to kill/suppress the key players on the enemy team.

Imagine if ranged got as many points for damage as melee: then they could just camp some hill or tower and shoot at horses all day long and still get valour. That does not sound very valourous to me.

But I somewhat agree with you that the point reduction is a bit too high, but I would hate seeing archers get valour as easy as melee get it.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:08:05 pm »
+4
and another archer down.  8-)
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:37:44 pm »
There is a reason why ranged (incl. crossbows) do not get as many points as melee.

Ranged can pick any target, which means their role is not limited to dealing as much damage as possible, but they are suppose to kill/suppress the key players on the enemy team.

Imagine if ranged got as many points for damage as melee: then they could just camp some hill or tower and shoot at horses all day long and still get valour. That does not sound very valourous to me.

But I somewhat agree with you that the point reduction is a bit too high, but I would hate seeing archers get valour as easy as melee get it.

While true, this does not paint the entire picture. Another large part of ranged not being able to get valor is their (likely) lack of inclusion in ambient points. You know, the kind that can net a shielder valor if he stays alive right in the middle of the action, swinging only occasionally.

Perhaps a less dramatic ambient point system could be implemented for archers. If a ranged player within proximity of another ranged player hits an enemy, it would act the same as if a melee did it. This may actually already be how things work; I've gone 21 gens without dabbling in archery. Didn't seem to happen when I was an arbalestbro, though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:39:37 pm »
This morning I went 6 - 0 in one round, got 25 points, which was the highest on the server and no valour for this archer. so i feel your pain.

Offline Jeraz

• Baron
  • Renown: 86
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Woodland
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 02:36:46 pm »
+4
My main problem with points is Headshots, you get less points for killing people with headshots cause you are getting less hits in, it's like they want me to aim at the body instead of the head, just so i can get some points, it's not uncommon for me to be 10-1 and only be half way the scoreboard.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 02:39:27 pm »
+3
Why the hell do I still click on this threads.  :|

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 03:13:40 pm »
The valor point system situation isnt fair for archers, yet, its not understandable to say you quit just because you couldnt save your multi or quick-stack to x5. How did players leveled up back when valor didnt exist ? This is a bit too much QQ'ing for me :lol:

Would also point out that the point system is not fair for anything that deals a lot of damage, because you get less points for one shotting enemies than just poking them from time to time (stop farming my HP knitler).

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 03:34:27 pm »
+3
I guess, given the actual definition of valour, the system works rather well, but because this is a game and everyone (I believe) should have equal chance to show off their skills with their given classes, regardless of other peoples opinions on whether they're overpowered, and therefore have an equal chance to grab valour if they did well.

Given that this runs from the point system, I do also find that I get far too few points when I hit someone. There have been plenty of times I have done a fantastic (if I may say so myself! :wink:) headshot on a charging cavalryman taking him out completely in one fell swoop with the reward of an entire 2 points. I do wonder about that at times, because technically, if I think about how I actually use my arrows they're there for the betterment of my fellow warriors, due to my lack of them, I use them when I need to and usually I take shots at infantry who charge at allies "in the shit", I take shots that I probably shouldn't but my mental risk vs reward percentage calculations say "if you don't, he's dead anyway" before releasing an arrow at an enemy about to end an ally. I expect a lot of archers have similar intentions when they loose their arrows. On top of that, that charging cavalryman, if I had pulled out my sword and swung (not killing him or his horse), I could collect 6 points for doing far less damage.

-----Start of Irrelevant Section about Deducting Points-----

There was one fellow yesterday who saw I got caught out by a pikeman climbing a ladder and took a pot shot at the lads about cut me down from behind, sadly he missed and hit me in the shoulder, but if he hadn't, he'd have saved my life, I grumbled before I realised it was a shot I would take because of the rewards should it succeed yet he was deducted points for quick thinking and trying to save my life. Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say with that point is, I wouldn't have deducted points for it if I had control over that because I knew that what he was doing wasn't stupid, it wasn't breaking my game play and he shouldn't be penalised for his decision as it was a last ditch attempt with no other options.
Similarly, when melee fighters are fighting alongside each other, sure they make bloody stupid moves, but 90% of the time, the accidental teamwounding is because they made a mistake and weren't being idiots, they took a risk and couldn't collect on it, I don't believe they should be penalised either because most people will "M" someone if they think it was a bloody stupid thing to do (other than the rage M'ers, of which I am guilty in some cases as well).

Oh yes, I forgot to write that of course I do not expect this type of thing to be implemented, it'd be difficult and not very rewarding.

-----End of Irrelevant Section about Deducting Points-----

Back to the topic at hand, archers get an unfair deal in this, but that might just because I see the valour system less of a "you hit the most people and were close to the action" and more of a "you did well with the tools that you had". Then again, I do not know the exact way that the points roll in because at times I find that I have one round where I hit 45 points and then I gain a mere 30 over the course of the rest of the rounds while doing roughly the same amount of work. So hell if I know how it works! :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:38:36 pm by Tennenoth »

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 03:43:23 pm »
+1
Archers need a top shot award (like valour) that rewards the archer. I remember getting 13 points in one round with my 15 arrows and nothing, no valour, no reward, just a reminder how much archers get shafted in the points system. The only times I got valour was when I killed people with my 1h'r. The reason I got sick of it was because he was my alt and I wanted to farm looms for my main, but I realized the lack of valour meant the crazy long retirement cycles I had to do.

Not saying buff archers, just fix the damn point system for them.

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 03:45:09 pm »

I know it, I know it :D

Awesome gif  :mrgreen:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 03:52:46 pm »
+5
I can get valour consistently if I feel like valour farming as an archer - aka shooting horses.  You get more points for hitting a horse in the chest than hitting an enemy in the chest (significantly more points).  So if you focus fire horses and ignore actual enemies you are a "valourous hero" as an archer because the evil horses must be put down.  Also, running in circles just behind the melee gets you tons of valour.  Don't even need need to shoot just be close to the melee without doing anything.

This is obviously how the system should be working.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo