Author Topic: Vikings TV series  (Read 8685 times)

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Vikings TV series
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2015, 10:12:00 pm »
GoT also has dragons, because it's fantasy. Then again so is Vikings I guess, if you're looking for too much historical accuracy or just plain sense, you're not gonna be able to enjoy the show.

Game of thrones is actually more realistic than Vikings, imo.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2015, 03:37:12 am »
+2
GoT also has dragons, because it's fantasy. Then again so is Vikings I guess, if you're looking for too much historical accuracy or just plain sense, you're not gonna be able to enjoy the show.
Yeah, but that's my problem with it. Vikings would have been much better if they just went with historical accuracy. Like, there's absolutely no reason to add the fantasy elements, I haven't heard anyone praise them yet, on the contrary.
The main difference is upperbody strength... which is quite critical when it comes to a fight.
Women aren't just weaker men, their brains are different as well. And testosterone is a somewhat important hormone when it comes to fighting wars. It's beyond the point though, I mainly just wanted the series to be as historically accurate as possible. You'd think there'd be no reason for it to add the weird parts they did, given how many interesting events there are in Viking history.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:40:49 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2015, 08:16:01 am »
+2
Just finished season 3, you'd think fighting scenes would be a big focus on historicalness and stuffs but holy fuck where are the shields? And why the fuck arent you using your shields when you have them? And what a long and boring siege episode, it basically repeats itself over and over. Almost as boring as the battle of the five armies battle part in the hobbit 3.

Also just send the main characters in first, they dont need shields when they have plotarmor and can do anything they want.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2015, 08:33:14 am »
Just finished season 3, you'd think fighting scenes would be a big focus on historicalness and stuffs but holy fuck where are the shields? And why the fuck arent you using your shields when you have them? And what a long and boring siege episode, it basically repeats itself over and over. Almost as boring as the battle of the five armies battle part in the hobbit 3.

Also just send the main characters in first, they dont need shields when they have plotarmor and can do anything they want.
Yes, and Rollo fighting with no shield and barechested, supposed to be a "berserker" but didn't come across like that at all. I have no idea what was going on half the time, like when Rollo fell 2 meters to the water he just sinks to the bottom for no reason? Then he's back walking around normally suddenly.

I liked that there seemed to be a bit bigger scale for the first time, but the episodes just seemed written very poorly.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2015, 08:38:19 am »
Yes, and Rollo fighting with no shield and barechested, supposed to be a "berserker" but didn't come across like that at all. I have no idea what was going on half the time, like when Rollo fell 2 meters to the water he just sinks to the bottom for no reason? Then he's back walking around normally suddenly.

I liked that there seemed to be a bit bigger scale for the first time, but the episodes just seemed written very poorly.

Exactly, i thought Rollo would die there, but then again it would be weird that he doesnt die to wound, but then it was set up like a dramatic death. What an awful mess.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2015, 09:48:00 am »
Exactly, i thought Rollo would die there, but then again it would be weird that he doesnt die to wound, but then it was set up like a dramatic death. What an awful mess.

Y'know. Rollo is the "mythical" first Norman king, he won't die.

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2015, 12:55:25 pm »
+1
Y'know. Rollo is the "mythical" first Norman king, he won't die.

Isn't his son the first Norman king, liar.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2015, 11:12:37 pm »
Isn't his son the first Norman king

No.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2015, 01:34:30 pm »
+5
Read a history book about Vikings (albeit from 1971, but I doubt much more was discovered since then), so here's some history facts (that might not be entirely true because of lack of evidence) related to the show:

Warning, includes spoiler of the previous and potentionally future episodes. Mind that the book focused more on how the average viking lived rather than big historical events.

As a general note, it seems that the Vikings TV series is trying to clump a lot of Viking history under Ragnar, from the beginning at the end of 8th century to (probably, we've yet to see how long it'll take for him to die) it's end around the end of 12th century:

- Supposedly the first attack by Vikings, just like in the show, was on a monastery in the year 793 (Lindisfarne, Northumbria), no records of Ragnar being included
- Early on they had no ways to tell where they were going on open sea other than wind, stars and such surroundings
- Most of the times they spared no one on these looting raids, you were either killed or taken as a slave
- The attack on Paris happened several times, the first time was in year 845, and the book said Ragnar was present. They burned down Paris then. The way they took Paris in the show (using the coffin as a trojan horse) was taken from another attack on a city called Luna (made by his son Björn Ironside). King Horik (king of Denmark) was still present at that time, and Ragnar handed a hefty sum of loot to him, out of which a large part was returned to Franks as a compensation for burning down some other city iirc. Ragnar was mentioned as being a naval commander then, so I'm assuming he was (still) a Jarl then.
- Rollo doesn't seem to have any big connections to Ragnar, the proof of this being that he was born quite a few years later. Apparently Rollos attack on Paris years later (886) resembles more the one depicted in the show (without the trojan coffin), the first one done by Ragnar was easier. The characters of Count Odo and Gizele were also present there. Just like in the show Rollo marries Gizele after being christened and is offered to become the ruler of Normandy (northern part of France), if he accepts being vassal to the western Frank king. There was not much fighting with other vikings after that. Rollo lived long and has passed on his rule to his son, and grandson and so forth all the way to the point when 'vikings' of Normandy invaded England with William the Conqueror, so british royalty basically has viking/dane origins.
- Ragnars sons Ivar (the boneless) and Ubbe are mentioned in one of the attacks on England, having then also called themselves sons of Ragnar, whether it was for real or not
- No mentions of travels to Iceland, Greenland and Vinland (North America) in the shows yet, hope they touch this subject as it's also interesting
- No mention of Floki, and it was believed that there weren't really specialized ship builders then (at least in the early ages), mostly it was common farmers that became shipbuilders and after warriors when going on these cruises
- England was mostly attacked by danes, Ireland by norwegians, the two clashed occasionally
- At one point pretty much the entire british isles were under viking rule
- Franks were easy to attack because they were seriously unprepared for viking attacks at first and later when their king Charles the Great (Charlemange) died and the country was split in three between his sons
- Vikings were (surprisingly, to me) very tolerant to christianity unlike Floki, a lot of them accepted christian god as just one more god in their repertoire of gods, one more deity to pray to for their own greater fortune (most of them cared only for their own good). A lot of Viking traders had to be baptized/converted to christianity to be allowed to trade with rest of Europe. Rest were converted en masse by their leader accepting the faith and imposing it on his people, again surprisingly without much resistance. Thus, they were sooner or later all converted and this might also be one of the reasons why the attacks stopped.
- Swords as weapons and chainmail were for richer folk, hand axes for normal people
- There is some evidence that so called 'berserkers' existed, filling themselves with toxic mushrooms with LSD-like effects before going all mad and barely clothed into combat. Apparently a lot these died without an actual wound, as one of the monks then wrote
- Christian monks were a bit more realiable source of information of that time as they wrote more and nordic writings/sagas of what happened were often exaggerated and with a mystical flavour
- Ragnars banner was two crows
- Going by how the last season ended, we should be around year 910 in the show

EDIT: added more
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:40:19 pm by Vibe »

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2017, 01:19:43 am »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2017, 01:19:16 am »
Best battle of the whole series.
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2017, 12:56:57 pm »
+1
oooh I'm not there yet. Exciting. Definitely enjoyed the first couple seasons only started watching it this year.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2017, 04:53:24 pm »
I kinda lost interest somewhere near the middle of season 4 (or season 3? the paris-oriented one). Does it get good enough in the later seasons to make it worth picking up again? I feel like the last season I watched kinda drew out the same storyline for far too long, made it awfully boring.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2017, 04:59:25 pm »
uh oh thats not good I'm just starting season 3  :|

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2017, 05:40:24 pm »
Seige of Paris was season 3. And yeah I would say it's worth it, I thought season 4 was better than 3. S4 leads up to Ragnar's death and that was a decent episode.
I'm not liking it as much now that Ragnar's gone, but Ivars making this season somewhat interesting, also Flokis story arc is pretty good too he is off on his own tripping balls and exploring.
PENDULUM