Author Topic: Vikings TV series  (Read 8688 times)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
Re: Vikings TV series
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2015, 08:13:25 pm »
I am on the fence with Season 3, there are bits I really like and bits I really dislike. I'm mostly tired of Floki and his bitching, that's all it seems he has done for the entire 3 seasons so far, he seems like a sulking child the whole time and I am tired of seeing him on screen lol. Most of the women in the show are just annoying and/or badly acted, not that many of the male characters are well acted, but there are far more likeable male characters than female IMO. I think the only female character I can stand is Siggy SPOILER
(click to show/hide)

The show seems to be all over the place at times and I don't think they're handling so many "main" characters that well. It is entertaining still so I will continue watching.

It is all over the place, alright.

To me, Floki does represent some decent characterization, though. I don't like his behavior, but I think it's for a good reason rather than a bad (such as a character behaving in a way that does not make sense for that character) one. He's the religious guy, sent to a relatively alien place and living in a deprived (they don't really show it in the show, but fucking around in a foreign country while waging a war would be constantly stressful) state, so it makes sense to me.

I've liked Lagertha for the most part. At least, better than Bjorn and Floki. I'm not sure why they keep introducing male characters only to kill them, but hey. Ecbert and Ragnar are my current favorite characters, and I want to see more interactions between them akin to Episode 4. It's probably the actors selling the characters hard rather than the other way 'round with those two.

Aethelstan is without a doubt the show's Jon Snow.

I like where they're going with Ecbert's son. It looks like Moe Dunford is finally getting a feel for the character.

In some ways, the acting (especially Clive Standen's) seems to have improved, I think. It's the writing and directing (was there always so much deliberate obstruction, presumably to make up for shitty choreography, in their action scenes?) that seems to be off. Some of the lines could have been straight out of a B action movie.

Like Leesin, I'll continue watching.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2015, 08:15:33 pm »
+2
Eggbert is the man.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2015, 08:39:53 pm »
Is it better in S3 than S1? I'm trying to get through S1 again but so many cringe-worthy moments in the first two episodes already.

I don't recall early episodes that much but I remember it picked off after a couple of episodes.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2015, 09:13:35 pm »
Is it better in S3 than S1? I'm trying to get through S1 again but so many cringe-worthy moments in the first two episodes already.

I thought thats what makes the show good. Im watching it for the same reason im watching Xena tbh, just to laugh at. Xena is better though.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2015, 01:25:56 pm »
+2
On season 2 and... the time jumps between single episodes and even within single episodes are fucking bizarre.

Also their apparent need to please the SJWs by adding all the mythical "shieldmaidens" is a bit annoying (I know who I'd like on either side of me in a shieldwall... 160cm 60kg women) - just like the other mystical things in the series.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 02:59:19 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2015, 08:57:06 am »
+5
This part did make me lol

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2015, 09:02:44 am »
I've found the Paris episodes really, really boring. That was one of the only good scenes.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2015, 01:24:58 pm »
+1
It is still the best show around since 3 years.Season finale wasn't bad.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2015, 06:07:08 pm »
On season 2 and... the time jumps between single episodes and even within single episodes are fucking bizarre.

Also their apparent need to please the SJWs by adding all the mythical "shieldmaidens" is a bit annoying (I know who I'd like on either side of me in a shieldwall... 160cm 60kg women) - just like the other mystical things in the series.

I don't know what SJW stands for but I imagine it's PC.  I agree completely with you that the shield maidens concept is annoying.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2015, 06:52:56 pm »
+1
I don't know what SJW stands for but I imagine it's PC.  I agree completely with you that the shield maidens concept is annoying.
Social justice warrior.

A lot of people now seem to think that shieldmaidens were a thing because there's a crap ton of them in Vikings. It's pretty cringeworthy when they didn't even choose manly truck lesbians to play the parts, instead having these pretty petite women. Also, cringed in season 1 when Lagertha killed a viking warrior because he was RAPING a woman from a village they were raiding. Like... right.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2015, 08:33:34 pm »
Shieldmadiens and misticism and all that kind of shit was getting annoying true, but I think Paris was okay. Showed how hard it can be to raid a city.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2015, 08:54:17 pm »
Let's face it, we all knew this was going to be a cheese fest after seeing the first episode, but it's still decent enough to watch. The whole Shield maiden business is pretty lame but I just try to ignore the majority of it lol. I blame it on whiney feminists, when will women learn that on average men are physically superior when it comes down to a fight. It's not about equality, it's about evolution, we are just built that way and there really were not that many females built to be warriors, so get in the fucking kitchen, make your guy a sandwich and let him watch Vikings without you being triggered by the lack of strong females in a TV show.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2015, 09:17:33 pm »
+1
A lot of people now seem to think that shieldmaidens were a thing because there's a crap ton of them in Vikings. It's pretty cringeworthy when they didn't even choose manly truck lesbians to play the parts, instead having these pretty petite women. Also, cringed in season 1 when Lagertha killed a viking warrior because he was RAPING a woman from a village they were raiding. Like... right.
God, that scene, almost forgot. Anyway, it's cartoon Vikings. Only managed to watch most of season 1, though, but I feel like I've had my fill for a good while.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:29:15 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2015, 09:43:10 pm »
Let's face it, we all knew this was going to be a cheese fest after seeing the first episode, but it's still decent enough to watch. The whole Shield maiden business is pretty lame but I just try to ignore the majority of it lol. I blame it on whiney feminists, when will women learn that on average men are physically superior when it comes down to a fight. It's not about equality, it's about evolution, we are just built that way and there really were not that many females built to be warriors, so get in the fucking kitchen, make your guy a sandwich and let him watch Vikings without you being triggered by the lack of strong females in a TV show.

The main difference is upperbody strength... which is quite critical when it comes to a fight.

Game of thrones, though, actually makes me cringe more. "The sand sisters" fights with a whip... seriously...

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2015, 09:52:00 pm »
GoT also has dragons, because it's fantasy. Then again so is Vikings I guess, if you're looking for too much historical accuracy or just plain sense, you're not gonna be able to enjoy the show.