Poll

Which Sounds better to you?

1000 xp base per minute, no kill bonuses +100 xp per Gen (rewards time spent)
19 (31.7%)
800 xp base per minute, kill bonuses, +80 xp per gen (rewards good players)
17 (28.3%)
1500 xp base per minute, no kill bonuses, no Gen Bonus  (rewards everyone equally)
12 (20%)
1250 xp base per minute, kill bonuses, no Gen Bonus (rewards everyone, especially killers)
10 (16.7%)
levels based on kills (multiplier applies here) and weapon use only... (mount and blade style)
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: New Xp System Proposal (-Grinding +skill= balance)  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
New Xp System Proposal (-Grinding +skill= balance)
« on: May 01, 2011, 03:19:24 am »
The Xp as it is is Good, but is it THAT GOOD? here i propose some of my ideas based on concepts of gameplay, and i will highlight the strength of each.

all kill bonuses give +40 xp, and +10 gold.

1.) Rewarding people who play alot:

you get what you give with this type of reward system.

+ rewards teamwork rather than individualism
- rewards trolls, and +40 hours a week players.

2.) Rewarding skilled players

if you can play better than most, this system is better for you.

+ rewards individuality, while still keeping teamwork as an important part.
- people who cant make kills suffer
- takes longer to gain gens

3.) all around rewards

+rewards everyone as a whole, strait down the line
+slightly faster xp system
-makes everyone that sits all day a king.
-generations are only useful for heirlooms

4.) rewards everyone and the hard hitters

+ faster general xp gain
+ kills become the edge instead of generations
+ the edge is good for losers, and is slight on winners
- Gens become useless aside from heirlooms

5.) mount and blade style...

summary:

mount and blade style fighting rewards kills based on the level of the opponent, and upgrades weapons by use... a practical, no nonsense rpg style gameplay that rewards you for what you do, rather than random additions to what you THINK you want.

you start as normal, but wpf is increased by use. wpf given by weaponmaster would be cut in half +5

this system would

+nerf hybrid builds
+kills per round affect total xp gain, and are affected by multiplier... (ie x5 = 200xp per kill, 50 gold)
+make gameplay more thoughtful and deliberate
- skill based grind = harder startup

conclusion:

im just throwing out ideas here to see given a choice of an alternative which people would be most comfortable with.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:22:12 am by Soldier_of_God »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: New Xp System Proposal (-Grinding +skill= balance)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:09:13 pm »
rewarding kills does the opposite of promoting teamplay, most games have already figured that out...too bad you havent

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:35:14 pm »
rewarding kills does the opposite of promoting teamplay, most games have already figured that out...too bad you havent

your rude commentary is unappreciated.

furthermore... in conjunction with other things, it can balance out.

Offline weight

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Fatty
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 06:56:31 pm »

As far as i know, it has been tested before and it was a disaster. If you think players are now kill hungry, imagine it then.

Offline Draeth

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Order of the Holy Guard (R.I.P.)
  • Game nicks: Draeth
  • IRC nick: Draeth
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:00:59 pm »
i fully support these ideas, i think the would beneficial to all 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:21:37 pm »
Two reasons that anything based on kills would be a disaster:

1.  Screams of "kill stealer" would bounce around the servers continuously and create discord everywhere.
2.  That really screws ranged, who often just wound people before the melee guys come rolling in and make the kill.

Bad idea, sorry.
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:22:18 pm »
No kill bonuses. Imagine an early horseman charges your team that just spawned. A piker dehorses this reckless player. Everyone in a 50 meter radius charges at the poor horsemen on the ground and start swinging their glaives, flamberges and greatswords just to get that bonus. Damage done to team: teamhits worth like 5 men, damage done to enemy team: one worthless horseman is dead.

A possiblity is, kill bonuses with very harsh team damage penatlies. Still I prefer no kill bonuses, advantage should be gained by making your team win, thus a multiplier. Otherwise horse killing, horse bumping and other great support actions arent rewarded while they should be.

I voted the base xp 1500 option. This way the ridiculously long time of 60 hours for a gen is reduced to 40(or less? My logic skills cant really figure this out). Where the only increase of xp per minute is making your team win.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:51:31 pm »
Two reasons that anything based on kills would be a disaster:

1.  Screams of "kill stealer" would bounce around the servers continuously and create discord everywhere.
2.  That really screws ranged, who often just wound people before the melee guys come rolling in and make the kill.

Bad idea, sorry.

on both of these things, there will always be kill stealers and there still is, and i bet everytime someone does it you notice and say to yourself "darn that jerk took my kill:( "

but you do have to admit, it gives a rush to perform like no other, doesn't it? and if you kill a large amount, it can be very rewarding, regardless of who took what from who.

in 5 kills, you would make your xp back to 1000 plus 50 gold; i feel that that is ultimately worth the risk of having someone else steal my kills, because on average most people on siege get more than that; even in battle it isnt difficult to get more than 5 kills.

No kill bonuses. Imagine an early horseman charges your team that just spawned. A piker dehorses this reckless player. Everyone in a 50 meter radius charges at the poor horsemen on the ground and start swinging their glaives, flamberges and greatswords just to get that bonus. Damage done to team: teamhits worth like 5 men, damage done to enemy team: one worthless horseman is dead.

A possiblity is, kill bonuses with very harsh team damage penatlies. Still I prefer no kill bonuses, advantage should be gained by making your team win, thus a multiplier. Otherwise horse killing, horse bumping and other great support actions arent rewarded while they should be.

I voted the base xp 1500 option. This way the ridiculously long time of 60 hours for a gen is reduced to 40(or less? My logic skills cant really figure this out). Where the only increase of xp per minute is making your team win.

this i would consider a not-to-common occurrence, but yes, team damage probably should exist in some form or another, and even with kill bonuses,  if there is still a base xp with a multiplier, it actually still largely is a team effort! in order to get 800 xp a minute, you would have to kill 20 people each minute if it were kill based :/

this system, however rewards people who kill more with a overall higher xp and gold gain; not too much that it would overshadow teamwork, but enough to encourage people to do their best.

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:01:38 pm »
on both of these things, there will always be kill stealers and there still is, and i bet everytime someone does it you notice and say to yourself "darn that jerk took my kill:( "

but you do have to admit, it gives a rush to perform like no other, doesn't it? and if you kill a large amount, it can be very rewarding, regardless of who took what from who.

...and people hate archers firing into melee now, just wait and see how many arrows are wizzing in with kill bonuses. I like your idea of upping the exp per minute, but really too many problems would be created if everyone was competing for kills. 
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:19:33 pm »
Please, not kill bonuses. Not anymore, please!

It will be peasant hunt all the time again...

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 11:48:43 pm »
i vote for a return to the prior system where you actually have to work for everything you get. Full wipe on everyone and peasant wars

let the gen obsessed cry about it

current gold system with ticks should stay. I agree, no more peasant hunts and giant clusterfucks of troops
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 04:05:46 am »
*PROPOSAL

DIFFERENT KINDS OF XP

Different kinds of xp that are earned differently and give different benefits.

That way, players chars will evolve based on their play style.

Players who survive long will gain time based xp. This xp gives perks based on camping/sniping/sneaking/etc

Players who are near the action/near teamates killing enemies get proximal xp. No idea really what this would give you perkwise

Players who kill enemies will tend to get a lot of kill based xp. Character buffs

*PROPOSAL II

Screw the different kinds of xp, and just gain xp based on time, proximity, and kills.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:08:29 am by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 04:26:45 am »
I would prefer a system where;
Time
gives xp+gold which scales with multiplier which scales again with generation
Kills
give a small amount of bonus gold based on the level of the killed player
Proximity
to dying enemies gives some bonus xp based on the level of the killed player

With this, helping the team win remains top priority as the multiplier > all. Killers are rewarded with the ability to maintain slightly better gear than the average thanks to the upkeep system. Teamplay, tactics and assisting your team results in easier wins and faster levelling due to bonus xp from proximity.

EDIT: As an after thought - to prevent the constant xp/gold messages spaming the chatbox unnecessarily all xp/gold earned sends no messages to the chatbox but instead is 'stored' in a box on the bottom left of the screen with xp and gold earned this round visible, at the end of the round this is sent to the website.

Similar to how it worked a long time ago.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:34:56 am by Peasant_Woman »
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 05:04:34 pm »
The best thing of the current system (collective XP award) is that new players are not condemned to stay at low levels because they cannot collect as much frags as advanced players. I find it fair and friendly and I would not like it to change.

Peasant Woman: I like your suggestion. To give some golden coins is not excessive and this is a nice way to reward kills (especially of tincans) and it does not (dis/)advantage anyone in terms of XP. I also like the assist thing because it would be the best anti-leechers measure.

I am among those who still support a penalty for teamkill and teamwounding. I do think that it would calm dowm the ragepolls for TK and TD since it provides some kind of justice. Also, see that the cost of an accidental TK could dissuade a player from trying to steal kills from their teammates.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:05:35 pm by La Makina »