Author Topic: Archer super mode  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Archer super mode
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 09:25:38 pm »
I liked the horse archer trick, shooting when dehorsed or falling down. I think we can add this, HA needs an edge over HX. (Not 3 arrows at once though, only 1 shoot)
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 11:29:31 pm »
+1
Doesn't the TP stand for team player? :P
So surely, you use all the advantages your team has to offer? Such as your ranged weakening the enemy before they close :P

Well, on a serious note, I dont ask melee players to stop playing so ranged can pewpew. But there are those situations where several ranged are targeting a group of melees and could do some reasonable damage before they get in melee range. Usually in a matter of seconds friendly melees charge in although the enemy is in no postion to deal any damage without having to get close first. This is not only blocking your own ranged from dealing damage effectively but also simply gives the enemy a better chance to survive/win the melee encounter. Last but not least, it leaves the ranged uncovered.

I think it would not be too much to ask the average melee player to let go of the W key for 5 seconds so you give your ranged at least a chance of scoring 1 or 2 additional hits and softening up the targets before they come close.

I was only fooling around. Of course I stand and wait if I see that our archers have an advantageous position and the enemy has to run through heavy fire. Especially because I don't trust all archers ;-)
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 11:34:51 pm »
+2
True, I also stand and defend the archers, cause last place I want friendly archer is behind me
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:25 pm »
I think exactly this type of archery was removed in a process of developing cRPG from native.... Except for the fact that in native their damage is as good as in slow(realistic!) mode in cRPG.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 01:10:53 am »
+4
I think exactly this type of archery was removed in a process of developing cRPG from native.... Except for the fact that in native their damage is as good as in slow(realistic!) mode in cRPG.

Well this kind of support archery, as in firing lines to soften up incoming targets would still be possible today but look what happens in an average round on EU1 ...

People might know how to block, how to use footwork and how to hiltslash now adays but when it comes to teamwork between melee and ranged we are still stuck in some premature state of evolution. People dont even seem to realize that friendly ranged close by can pretty much make them win every duel they fight, but instead of giving them a chance to sneak in a clean hit by clever movement they just spazz out like ballerinas, circling around each other at 300 rounds per minture.

Melees still complain that they get hit by friendly ranged although they dont show any sign of understanding at what they actually have to do in order not to shut down their own teammates. A team of players that would, for example be aware of where friendly ranged is located and, as a result, knows where NOT to walk to prevent intersecting with their lines of fire, would simply ROFLSTOMP any other random pub team we have right now.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 01:33:05 am »
Well this kind of support archery, as in firing lines to soften up incoming targets would still be possible today but look what happens in an average round on EU1 ...

People might know how to block, how to use footwork and how to hiltslash now adays but when it comes to teamwork between melee and ranged we are still stuck in some premature state of evolution. People dont even seem to realize that friendly ranged close by can pretty much make them win every duel they fight, but instead of giving them a chance to sneak in a clean hit by clever movement they just spazz out like ballerinas, circling around each other at 300 rounds per minture.

Melees still complain that they get hit by friendly ranged although they dont show any sign of understanding at what they actually have to do in order not to shut down their own teammates. A team of players that would, for example be aware of where friendly ranged is located and, as a result, knows where NOT to walk to prevent intersecting with their lines of fire, would simply ROFLSTOMP any other random pub team we have right now.
XyNox why'd you leave EU_4 so early mate?
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 12:18:56 pm »
Spoilers!
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 01:37:13 pm »
Exaclty like in cRPG. Instead of staying back so ranged can unleash their payload without having to bother about teammates getting in the way, melees just charge in and block 90 % of the hits their ranged teammates could potentially land.

We learn: Melee players are all frenchies  :lol:

This is correct, but you can't really blame people for wanting to have fun...

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 01:40:16 pm »
This is correct, but you can blame people if they are destroying your fun...

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 02:25:05 pm »
Well, on a serious note, I dont ask melee players to stop playing so ranged can pewpew. But there are those situations where several ranged are targeting a group of melees and could do some reasonable damage before they get in melee range. Usually in a matter of seconds friendly melees charge in although the enemy is in no postion to deal any damage without having to get close first. This is not only blocking your own ranged from dealing damage effectively but also simply gives the enemy a better chance to survive/win the melee encounter. Last but not least, it leaves the ranged uncovered.

I think it would not be too much to ask the average melee player to let go of the W key for 5 seconds so you give your ranged at least a chance of scoring 1 or 2 additional hits and softening up the targets before they come close.

What if we want all the kills for ourselves? Or just don't like the idea of you shooting everyone to pieces and just standing by as it happens?

Also it would be no fun for ranged if all the melee players left, then they would have noone to shoot at besides eachother... And we all now how boring ranged duels can be :D
But on the other hand it would be boring without ranged, that melee server that used to be on was just one big gank fest, even though there were max 30 players.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 02:34:43 pm »
It's about gameplay and teamplay byrdi. Imagine an archer going in between you and your target just before you're about to hit.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 05:45:48 pm »
+1
XyNox why'd you leave EU_4 so early mate?

Had to work early and faked a rage quit.

This is correct, but you can't really blame people for wanting to have fun...

This is correct, but you can blame people if they are destroying your fun...

Couldnt have said it better.

What if we want all the kills for ourselves? Or just don't like the idea of you shooting everyone to pieces and just standing by as it happens?

Also it would be no fun for ranged if all the melee players left, then they would have noone to shoot at besides eachother... And we all now how boring ranged duels can be :D
But on the other hand it would be boring without ranged, that melee server that used to be on was just one big gank fest, even though there were max 30 players.

If you want all the kills for yourself you are playing the wrong game Id say. Nor will any ranged be able to shoot a whole team "to pieces" in the current state.

The problem I am adressing is that you just cant support your teammate as ranged when they dont let you. More often than not, the only reasonable decision to make is to let your teammate die - then enjoy a clean shot. Not because of douchbaggery but because the missilespeed nerf and glitchy hitboxes make it mathematically impossible to completely eliminate the chance of hitting your teammate unless you are shooting at point blank range. So what can you do ?

- If you engage you might hit your teammate, effectively helping the enemy.

- If you dont engage you are letting your team down by one player, effectively helping the enemy.

So what do you do ? The only thing reasonable of course ... you switch to another target that is not getting meatshielded by your teammates.

With a bit of teamwork however, what is the enemy gonna do ? Imagine a smart melee and archer working together. The melee keeps in mind the relative position of his ranged buddy so he doesnt walk into his line of fire. Also the melee will roughly pay attention to when the archer has drawn his bow and is ready to fire. Options for enemy:

- If the enemy tries to use the melee player as cover, melee player instantly knows how to move in order not to meatshield the enemy from his ranged teammate -> enemy is always exposed to archer, archer has a much higher chance at scoring hits without having to cancel his attacks.

- When melee knows that the archer is about to shoot, he just holds his attack ready ( preferably greatsword stab ) and simply dances just outside of the enemies weapon reach until archer releases his arrow -> when archer hits, enemy is staggered for a sec and melee gets in a free hit.

- Enemy cant attack the archer as he will get hit in the back by melee player

- Enemy cant run away as he will get shot in the back by archer

Instawin.

This is of course a very idealised situation and will arguably not always work in big clusterfucks. However at the current state of average teamwork, even if an ideal situation like the one stated above would occure on EU1 these days, almost no melee player would give a fuck about actually using his ranged teammate to gain an advantage over his opponent.

I think you get the point. I am not saying that melees should stop playing the game so ranged can have all the fun but as its present state, ranged has to stop playing the game because melee or cav teammates are shutting them down more often than not.

So yeah, enjoy your support, dont fight it. As a result, enjoy more gametime, less time spent dead, less teamhits, more multi and more winning.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 09:41:28 pm »
The acient archery skills, were not really used in medieval times were they? There they just got a big bow, and a 3 day bootcamp on how to shoot an arrow volley  :mrgreen:

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 05:12:17 am »
The ancient archery skills, were not really used in medieval times were they? There they just got a big xbow, and a 3 day bootcamp on how to shoot an bolt volley  :mrgreen:

corrections added  :wink:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 01:43:08 pm »
+1
I still think that the method was not used on a regular base. It lacks accuracy and power, as most historic battles were not fought inside a gymnasium. Unless it's an emergency and the enemy is only a few meters away, I think it's still more resonable to use the whole power of a bow and shoot percisely (or to make percie volleys, which on long distance is difficult enough). And you must not forget that most medieval bows have been probably much stronger than modern bows, because people were trained their whole life to use them, and their use was more about power to penetrate armour, than about precision to win contests like nowadays "professional" archers are training for.

Armour did have a good effect against arrows, and the test in that video honestly surprised me. I guess the reasons why he could penetrate the chainmail could have been:

- the chainmail was no "real" chainmail, only something "faked" for movies or the like. It was made out of metal, but not with the needed quality.
- the distance. I doubt most shots were fired on that close distance. It's a distance a trained warrior can close in easily and chop the archer to death, so they will most likely have respectfully kep more distance
- the missing of a gambesson. I think it's a big difference if you want to penetrate something which has a solid background (?) or a soft one. With a padded undercoat I guess the arrow would have been more likely to rather bounce off instead of actually penetrating the rings.

We all have heared from the reports where knights after battle looked like porcupines. I am also not a fan of the theory that archers were basically useless against armored enemies, and their only use was killing their horses, because then I doubt the English would have brought so many archers with them (sometimes 2/3s of their army consisted of archers) if they did not kill enemies, but on the other hand I doubt that a half drawn bow fired from the hip will bring down any armoured enemy on the usual fighting distances for archers. I support the "arrows could penetrate enemy armour, but it was difficult"-theory. Fast firing from the hip doesn't seem to be "difficult" in that context.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)