Author Topic: Archer super mode  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Complexx

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Archer super mode
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:32:19 pm »
+5
New mode for archers.
It would be nice if there would be possible for some subclase for archers to be able to do what this guy can do (bottom link), and how they have really fight back in the days with archers :)

http://www.wimp.com/forgottenarchery/

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Archer super mode
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:34:31 pm »
+10
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:09:53 am »
+3
So running backwards, shooting 3 arrows per second. Jumping and falling down, getting off an arrow. Sounds good to me.

In all honesty, I actually wouldn't mind an archer rapid fire mode (let's say he gets 3-5 arrows in his hand) at the expense of a slow cool down similar to couch levels. Of course this would reduce damage, because he's not pulling down all the way, and it would also only be capable with the shorter bows.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:12:59 am by Penguin »
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:22:59 pm »
Ask the knights at Agincourt

That's soooo impossible!
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:56:07 pm »
+8
As a pole-user i hate archers.... But as someone who studies history and frankly finds that video awesome i wouldnt mind seeing this, even if it rapes me every time. Archery gets nerfed for game reasons... But in history archery is OP :P Ask the knights at Agincourt

At agincourt we raped the horses not the men with arrows. By we I mean archers. By archers I mean: Big lads, strong lads, with big manly bows (no little crapanese horsebows here pls thanks). Then we killed the dismounted knights with mauls and daggers cause they tried to run through mud. The French were stupid and overconfident that day. Same at crecy. And potiers. If they had employed their mercenaries well and given them the TIME to fight, probably today we would say "Crossbows were OP, just ask the english at agincourt". But since crossbows have a lower rate of fire, they need TIME to do damage to archer formations. They had pavises tho, if the French had allowed them time to get into range, get their pavises up and actually get a shooting match on, the combination of having cover and the english being massed on those low hills would have spelt death for the english.

But thats besides the point: That guy can shoot fast, but damage would be very low, and that action is unsustainable: the wear of your fingers, bowstring and forarm would be immense, and the muscle strain would quickly reduce the archer to less that fighting fit.

Would be good if this was usuable ONCE per spawn, or had a 30 sec cooldown or something, and massively reduced accuracy and dmg to represent the way you must only draw a short distance and release from below shoulders...

But dont forget: The french WON the 100 years war, not the english.

EDIT: also, this method would seem very good. I mean, there is limited footage that allows me to see his fingers as he fires, but if this is 100% real, I need to train more cause that guy shames me and my crpg char. Also, bring back jump shooting! It was lol and fun. Anyway, historical note (ish): While that may be possible, it is not tactically a realistic solution to massed charges: no guarantee a line of ppl shooting like that will stop a charge, although it might scare them away! But the massed longbows of the english, although not pinpoint, were accurate enough to fire into enemy formations from 200 yards away: ANYTHING without armor on would be getting hit before you can even make out the faces of the enemy, crpg (warband) does its best to give everyone a class to play in battle, but remember real world battles would tens or even hundreds of thousands of men: if you have 100k men charging at you, its important to start firing as soon as possible, so you need the most possible range, so in massive battles: full draw and lots of range important, this arrow spam looks cool but tactically it is not reliable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:09:43 pm by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

Offline enigmatic_stranger

• King
  • Renown: 1118
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 05:10:11 pm »
+1
This is archer super mode:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:53:39 am by enigmatic_stranger »

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 09:58:37 am »
gief chu-ko-nu too

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 05:18:00 pm »
+4
... If they had employed their mercenaries well and given them the TIME to fight, probably today we would say "Crossbows were OP, just ask the english at agincourt". But since crossbows have a lower rate of fire, they need TIME to do damage to archer formations. They had pavises tho, if the French had allowed them time to get into range, get their pavises up and actually get a shooting match on, the combination of having cover and the english being massed on those low hills would have spelt death for the english.

Exaclty like in cRPG. Instead of staying back so ranged can unleash their payload without having to bother about teammates getting in the way, melees just charge in and block 90 % of the hits their ranged teammates could potentially land.

We learn: Melee players are all frenchies  :lol:

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 05:29:27 pm »
Exaclty like in cRPG. Instead of staying back so ranged can unleash their payload without having to bother about teammates getting in the way, melees just charge in and block 90 % of the hits their ranged teammates could potentially land.

We learn: Melee players are all frenchies  :lol:

Oh sorry. And I retard always equipped a melee weapon to fight by myself. Instead I should just have equipped the applause hands and clapped politely while watching the archers play the game.

,|,,  :P ,,|,
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 05:35:16 pm »
Oh sorry. And I retard always equipped a melee weapon to fight by myself. Instead I should just have equipped the applause hands and clapped politely while watching the archers play the game.

Finally someone got it  :lol:

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 05:54:45 pm »
Call me old fashioned, but i never do a job when i can find someone else to do it for me xP if a gang of archers can kill all the enemies for me then i'll go put the kettle on, it is the British way.

I always thought it's the French way...  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 05:55:28 pm »
+1

Doesn't the TP stand for team player? :P
So surely, you use all the advantages your team has to offer? Such as your ranged weakening the enemy before they close :P

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 05:58:21 pm »
+1
would be super awesome, put 5 archers on one spot and you got a minigun..

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 06:10:26 pm »
+5
Well, on a serious note, I dont ask melee players to stop playing so ranged can pewpew. But there are those situations where several ranged are targeting a group of melees and could do some reasonable damage before they get in melee range. Usually in a matter of seconds friendly melees charge in although the enemy is in no postion to deal any damage without having to get close first. This is not only blocking your own ranged from dealing damage effectively but also simply gives the enemy a better chance to survive/win the melee encounter. Last but not least, it leaves the ranged uncovered.

I think it would not be too much to ask the average melee player to let go of the W key for 5 seconds so you give your ranged at least a chance of scoring 1 or 2 additional hits and softening up the targets before they come close.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 06:35:21 pm »
I think it would not be too much to ask the average melee player to let go of the W key for 5 seconds so you give your ranged at least a chance of scoring 1 or 2 additional hits and softening up the targets before they come close.

wait people use that? I thought we only had the S key...never knew there was another movement key.