Author Topic: Regular Bardiche  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
Regular Bardiche
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:46:48 am »
+2
With light armor, and the new weight increase to arrows, I'm noticing that my new build's 7 athletics makes me faster than the majority of people. This is helping me a lot, because my natural combat style often involves trying to juke in and out of people's weapon reach, IE dodge instead of always blocking.  So, I'm curious about weapons with a little more reach than my beloved Great Axe, hoping that I can use them to get away with snapping off some of those "you missed me" counter-swings with a little less precision.

That's why I'm looking at the Bardiche. The regular one, not the Great Bardiche. 2h, not polearms. Does anyone ever use this thing? Compared to the Great Axe it's almost identical - 3 speed slower, 6 reach longer.

Looking for some guidance here. Is it foolish to trade that much speed for that little length, as a rule? The Great Bardiche is, compared to the Great Axe, -5 speed +10 length... the same speed/length trade ratio, just at a greater scale.

What do you think? Bardiche: worth it? Do you think I would miss my Great Axe's speed, or is the difference so small I wouldn't even notice?

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
Re: Regular Bardiche
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:15:04 am »
What do you think? Bardiche: worth it?
Totally worth it on horseback because reach is very important there, but on foot with 7 athletics I'd choose the axe because of it's speed.

Offline BadooN

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 4 wheel drive
  • Game nicks: Badoon, Barnabus Ballson
  • IRC nick: BadooN
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:21:01 am »
+1
You should just try it out and see how you like it, assuming you're not talking about a loomed one.  I mean if you didn't end up liking it just switch back to your good old Great Axe  :D

(click to show/hide)

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:39:04 pm »
Length is king stat, followed by damage. Low speed + good footwork = may as well be high speed.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:57:40 pm »
Regular Bardiche, the Great Bardiche or two handed war axe :D the other axes just stupid to me
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:16:49 pm »
+1
You should just try it out and see how you like it, assuming you're not talking about a loomed one.  I mean if you didn't end up liking it just switch back to your good old Great Axe  :D

(click to show/hide)

That's part of my hesitancy - my Great Axe is loomed, so if I am testing out the unloomed Bardiche the difference will be even greater, during the trial period.

And, don't cry for me, Frisian Freedom. I'm sill Fimbulvetr until the end!

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 06:30:49 pm »
That's part of my hesitancy - my Great Axe is loomed, so if I am testing out the unloomed Bardiche the difference will be even greater, during the trial period.

And, don't cry for me, Frisian Freedom. I'm sill Fimbulvetr until the end!

Had a clanmate swear by an unloomed great bardiche. He used it on horseback for a gen with the nasty 24-15 build, but he also used it in pure melee str builds. Having just struggled through a 2h gen, I learned some nice tricks with it. It seems that if you're using an unbalanced (or really any 2h that isn't a HBS, Longsword, or a few others) you can perform very nice holds. For example, a held leftswing while wiggling insanely back and forth can act as a sort of feint. With a longer weapon, which your bardiche certainly would be, jumping is actually very effective. Try a jump with a left or right swing while looking straight down. Almost certain headshot if you land it, it can go over shields, and it looks fucking awesome.

It's also worth noting that since the cutting surface of the bardiche is curved, you will get a marginal amount of nice "ghost-reach" on it. I do not say this out of some empirical testing, but out of anecdotal experience and reliable advice. It's not going to be a huge amount like on a scimitar or something, but you can often throw out an unexpected shot to someone's face with it that spurs them into complaining in allchat.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 12:08:26 am »
Had a clanmate swear by an unloomed great bardiche. He used it on horseback for a gen with the nasty 24-15 build, but he also used it in pure melee str builds. Having just struggled through a 2h gen, I learned some nice tricks with it. It seems that if you're using an unbalanced (or really any 2h that isn't a HBS, Longsword, or a few others) you can perform very nice holds. For example, a held leftswing while wiggling insanely back and forth can act as a sort of feint. With a longer weapon, which your bardiche certainly would be, jumping is actually very effective. Try a jump with a left or right swing while looking straight down. Almost certain headshot if you land it, it can go over shields, and it looks fucking awesome.

It's also worth noting that since the cutting surface of the bardiche is curved, you will get a marginal amount of nice "ghost-reach" on it. I do not say this out of some empirical testing, but out of anecdotal experience and reliable advice. It's not going to be a huge amount like on a scimitar or something, but you can often throw out an unexpected shot to someone's face with it that spurs them into complaining in allchat.
Im sure you cant use a great bardiche on hb? But it's amazing on foot, try it i'd say! Even unloomed, i got 7 ps, it wrecks.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:11:55 am »
Im sure you cant use a great bardiche on hb? But it's amazing on foot, try it i'd say! Even unloomed, i got 7 ps, it wrecks.

You're damn right you can't. It must have been a regular bardiche, then. My mistake, but I guess good news for the newly clothed friend here.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 12:14:01 am »
You're damn right you can't. It must have been a regular bardiche, then. My mistake, but I guess good news for the newly clothed friend here.
Normal bardiche is great on hb though, 1 hits a buttload of players, if not too heavy armored.  :)
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 12:14:06 am »
I used one as 2hand cav/infantry for a while (+3).  It kind of sucks.  Too slow.  Makes CQC horse combat awkward, and its pretty shitty in close up melee, only good at ganking.  Damage is nice and feels fun to destroy people/cause rage but swinging the weapon itself in any situation isn't fun.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:18:57 am »
I used one as 2hand cav/infantry for a while.  It kind of sucks.  Too slow.  Makes CQC horse combat awkward, and its pretty shitty in close up melee, only good at ganking.
just backstab 1-hit the shit out of medium armored players!  8-)
I did a heavy cav build
24/15
5if 8ps 5rid 3wm 2shi
Using a cathapract was great fun, when i hit a player it usually did a buttload of dmg, allthough im not that good a cav.  :P

Edit: also the slow swing makes for some funny moves to be possible.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 12:27:32 am »
I used one as 2hand cav/infantry for a while (+3).  It kind of sucks.  Too slow.  Makes CQC horse combat awkward, and its pretty shitty in close up melee, only good at ganking.  Damage is nice and feels fun to destroy people/cause rage but swinging the weapon itself in any situation isn't fun.

By your summation would you say that the Great Axe sucks, too, for all of the same reasons?

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 12:28:36 am »
Great axe is fast as hell :P

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 12:35:07 am »
By your summation would you say that the Great Axe sucks, too, for all of the same reasons?

No, its different.

The thing is its based on your playstyle.  I like fighting groups of enemies by myself 1 vs 4 etc so a long but slow weapon fails me a lot.  Medium length medium-fast speed is great though.  Great axe is a bit better for me.  Pretty much will always prefer a sword though, or a bar mace.

Bardiche fills a niche as a 2hand cav weapon, but I'd definitely recommend one of the Persian axes or hell the Great Bardiche over the regular Bardiche.  Frankly, the polearm Long Bardiche and the various long axes are way more fun to use then any of the 2hand axes.  And I'm biased to 2handers generally.

Either way its cheap as dirt so just play with the different 2hand axes and see what fits your playstyle best.  They all have decent stats now since they all got some extra damage second to last patch.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.