Author Topic: Would Increasing the Damage Cap on 1h help balance 1h better?  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
+7
I've heard that the Spation is getting 1 slot and the Paramarion is broke. Why not increase the max cap on 1h damage by 2 or 3?(the maxiumum damage allowed by any 1h ever, which is currently 37 with the iron war axe). If you allow a 2 point  change in damage, you can modifiy all 1h up or down by 1 damage allowing MORE diversity and LESS redundancy and LESS USELESS 1h!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
Re: Would Increasing the Damage Cap on 1h help balance 1h better?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:45:54 am »
Go for it. The reason 1handers are less powerful than everything else is probably "realism" as they are shorter and all.. but in terms of balance... they get shitty stabs, shitty overheads, shitty damage and shitty to OK reach... they also arent really as good at spamming at 2h or polearm despite their speed. The plus side? you CAN take a shield and they are 1 slot. Maybe make some 2 slots 1handers that can compete with other weapon categories? would it buff shielders if there were 1handers that didnt suck? sure it would, but so what? You don't see many good players crying about shielders.

Offline Keening

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:40:13 am »
Speaking in general military mechanics, a spear always beats a sword.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 05:46:22 am »

In other words, we already severely lack realism, so why not let 1Handers join in the fun?

Offline LordLargos

• Count
  • Renown: 279
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn (Lord,X-Champion)
  • Game nicks: Largos the Weaboo Wrangler, HoC Lord Largos
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:52:08 am »
Speaking in general military tactics swordsman always beat spearman.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:16:34 am by LordLargos »
Well, this doesn't look good for you. Four team kills - definitely intentional, Appeared to be afk more than once in the video.Also kicking people off of walls is grieving! don't do it.... but ill let you off with a warning this time, only because I don't like largos anyway.

Offline SHinOCk

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Is that all you've got!?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 1%
  • Game nicks: Occitan_SHinOCk, Occitan_Baz, Derp_In_A_Can, Disease_Infested_Cum_Bucket, The_Long_Dick_Of_The_Law
  • IRC nick: SHinOCk
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:56:20 am »
+2
There's only the thrusts that sucks on 1h, as for the rest they do enough damage as it is
While you burn at the stake, i dance with the flames

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 06:11:19 am »
+5
Honestly I think most weapon could stand to do more damage. Face to face confrontations take far too long in battle. It would be nice to have most individual fights resolved in around 15 seconds.

Offline LordLargos

• Count
  • Renown: 279
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn (Lord,X-Champion)
  • Game nicks: Largos the Weaboo Wrangler, HoC Lord Largos
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 06:24:32 am »
+2
Honestly I think most weapon could stand to do more damage. Face to face confrontations take far too long in battle. It would be nice to have most individual fights resolved in around 15 seconds.
Uhmm Lorden one hit me yesterday with a body shot from a nodachi, don't think 2h needs more damage.
(I was lvl 28 5 IF Nordic conical, mail splinted greaves, and heraldic mail.)
The 1h glance rate is ridiculous and while 2h can "lol stab" all we can do is make the opponent lol when we stab.
Well, this doesn't look good for you. Four team kills - definitely intentional, Appeared to be afk more than once in the video.Also kicking people off of walls is grieving! don't do it.... but ill let you off with a warning this time, only because I don't like largos anyway.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:58:19 am »
+3
Even in heavy armour with 24str and 5 IF there are guys with 1h weapons that have killed me in a few hits, seems fine to me, especially considering they can facehug with the annoying quick short swings and block so easily.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:00:09 pm »
+4
Even in heavy armour with 24str and 5 IF there are guys with 1h weapons that have killed me in a few hits, seems fine to me, especially considering they can facehug with the annoying quick short swings and block so easily.

Having tried both very extensively, I find it usually easier to block without a shield, due to it being instant. This is not true of course against groups of good players or very fast feinters, but certainly worth the huge movement speed improvement of dropping the shield. Also, anybody can facehug and pole/2h hit much faster when they do it thanks to hiltslashing.

Needing more than 6 hits to kill normal people is not tolerable if you want to do reasonably good. Most 1h now, especially in siege, give up everything to get more damage. See how very few cut weapon users have less than 33c and nearly a majority of all 1h now uses blunt or pierce ? Or, they switch to 2h or pole and enjoy +10 damage.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 02:59:50 pm »
+1
Having tried both very extensively, I find it usually easier to block without a shield, due to it being instant. This is not true of course against groups of good players or very fast feinters, but certainly worth the huge movement speed improvement of dropping the shield. Also, anybody can facehug and pole/2h hit much faster when they do it thanks to hiltslashing.

Needing more than 6 hits to kill normal people is not tolerable if you want to do reasonably good. Most 1h now, especially in siege, give up everything to get more damage. See how very few cut weapon users have less than 33c and nearly a majority of all 1h now uses blunt or pierce ? Or, they switch to 2h or pole and enjoy +10 damage.

Hiltslash with polearm? maybe sometimes against light armoured opponents and with certain polearms but on many occasions my polearms glance if too close, that combined with the fact it also bounces off of team mates behind me and any kind of scenery around me when I am trying to fight, it's safe to say polearms has its clear advantages and disadvantages as 1h does.

The shield is a massive advantage of the 1h weapon, without it the user chooses to sacrifice that advantage and go for more speed, that's the users own choice and 1h weapons should NOT be doing the same damage as 2h and polearm. A shield is not just a melee tool it has a magnetic radius ( yes it still does albeit not as large as before, unless you have low shield skill of course ) that blocks all ranged attacks, right now in crpg that is a massive advantage considering the huge amount of ranged spam going on.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 03:06:20 pm »
+3
Hiltslashing with pole/2h and 1h double leftswings aren't that different at all. I think 1h is in fine place balance wise, the shield is not a minor advantage. Damage output is not that bad, even though everyone is always whining about 1h cut damage, I still see swords almost exclusively on EU_1. L2pierce/blunt.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 03:12:23 pm »
+2
It would be nice to have most individual fights resolved in around 15 seconds.

Think half of the mod would have to be changed for this to work

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 03:33:06 pm »
Hiltslashing with pole/2h and 1h double leftswings aren't that different at all. I think 1h is in fine place balance wise, the shield is not a minor advantage. Damage output is not that bad, even though everyone is always whining about 1h cut damage, I still see swords almost exclusively on EU_1. L2pierce/blunt.
Try ducking bellow a 2h/pole hiltslash. Also, regarding the damage output, stop bullshitting, when you were 1h it often took you 5+ hits to kill me back when I used a noneagistackerwithnoarmor build, a 2h, and unloomed scale with mail gauntlets and a guard helmet.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 03:38:11 pm »
+4
I disagree with you Matey.  If i didnt know any better id say you just gave some oppinions to make your 1h chars OP. As a 1h player I can say that 1h is totally a competitive class in crpg. It is slightly tougher to learn and slightly UP. But not that much that it deserves massive bitching over. 

Ive taken on some of the best 2h/polearm fighters 1vs1 and group and most of the times when I lost(which is alot btw) :D is cause of the fact im simply a crappier player, not cause of the disadvantages of 1h. Dont buff 1h any further, its currenty as good as its gonna get. Slight buff more and everybody will be 1h. Cause the ableness to use shield during fighting when you really need it is a pretty damn big advantage.