Author Topic: ArmA III  (Read 15855 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: ArmA III
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2013, 12:04:40 am »
Yeah was nothing like that, just basic commands without the unneeded "roger copy that soldier blahblah". You know, terms like LZ, AO, communicating enemy location using the numbers on compass ("bearing 190"), formations, combat pace, all useful stuff.
Either way, bots are seriously good on the servers I played, you need to take cover all the time, because they're not fucking stormtroopers at all, you pop out too much you'll die instantly and you're always outnumbered. Me and the squad leader got pinned down behind one of those little stone walls that are all around Altis, bullets whizzing and cracking all around, shit was intense because if you die you need to wait in base for the heli pickup and he's always going to land a safe distance from the AO, meaning it's going to take you some time till you're back in the fight.

I'll start taking more screenshots.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2013, 12:07:14 am »
Do it, I can't experience ARMA anyway with this dying potato
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2013, 11:12:12 pm »
+2
Few screens

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:15:35 pm by Vibe »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2013, 01:02:20 am »
Damn, I remember seeing someone playing arma or whatever, it's totally different to an arcade game (no shit), but I mean in a different way.

How can you tell which dot to shoot at if he's very far away? At least this makes midrange scopes useful though lol

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2013, 07:29:16 am »
Invade & Annex is a PvE mod, right?

The AI in Arma 3 can be extremely challenging, which is very refreshing. Sometimes very retarded too, sure, but it flanks and attacks as a team, lays down suppressive fire and so on. Been having a lot of fun with some co-op scenarios downloaded from Steam Workshop.

Also, best weapon by far is Mk18 ABR 7.62!
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2013, 08:13:30 am »
Damn, I remember seeing someone playing arma or whatever, it's totally different to an arcade game (no shit), but I mean in a different way.

How can you tell which dot to shoot at if he's very far away? At least this makes midrange scopes useful though lol

Well yeah, it's a military simulation (or at least as close as you can get to one). It plays completely different than most other shooters out there (BF3, CoD etc etc).

What do you mean by which dot to shoot? You mean how can you tell if it's an enemy or not if he's very far away, or did you mean how do you even know if that's an enemy or a rock? Well, most of the times you'll have somewhat of an idea of where your team is and where the enemy is coming from, that helps a lot. Then, if you have a high range scope you can tell them apart by uniforms. If you don't have that you use binoculars or communicate with the sniper in your group. To tell if the thing you're shooting at is a person or a rock is mostly determined by the fact that rocks can't move, go prone, etc.
Also, if the enemy is shooting you can see little smoke puffs coming from the gun barrel. If that enemy is also prone, you can see dust come up as they shoot (you can see this on my second screen where our guy is shooting from prone).

Invade & Annex is a PvE mod, right?

The AI in Arma 3 can be extremely challenging, which is very refreshing. Sometimes very retarded too, sure, but it flanks and attacks as a team, lays down suppressive fire and so on. Been having a lot of fun with some co-op scenarios downloaded from Steam Workshop.

Also, best weapon by far is Mk18 ABR 7.62!

Yeah it's a 40 player co-op mod. You basically spawn at Altis airfield and then missions dynamically create all over Altis. Main missions are capturing towns/villages, sidemissions are getting rid of mortar teams or destroying radio towers. For completing missions you sometimes get extra vehicles like the Slammer (artillery) or the Buzzard (jet, only seen us get it once).

The AI is very very challenging and much smarter than you'd expect. There's no fucking around when it comes to AI, they will bring you down even from far away. They will come after you even if you start shooting from far away. They know how to take cover. They do sometimes do stupid shit, but I think that's going to be ironed out eventually. I was really surprised how deadly they are. Before trying Invade & Annex I never really played CO-OP in multiplayer because I  thought it's too easy because of dumb bots.
Either way you need to progress slowly and tactically when taking over villages, you need to scout out before to know enemy positions or you'll just run straight into them and die not knowing where they even were. There's no way you'd live if you just ran in and run and gun, the damage is too high. Not to mention, like I said before, you're always outnumbered.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:18:26 am by Vibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2013, 08:48:48 am »
I was really surprised over how deadly the AI is, too. It's amazing to play against an AI for a change that's challenging and punishes you for your mistakes. Heck, it'd often be easier to play against humans...

But the really cool thing is that it still doesn't feel like the AI is cheating to compensate, it's difficult in a way that makes sense.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2013, 04:27:24 pm »
What do you mean by which dot to shoot? You mean how can you tell if it's an enemy or not if he's very far away, or did you mean how do you even know if that's an enemy or a rock?

Yep, that's what I meant. Both, actually.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2013, 04:42:51 pm »
What Vibe describes sounds really awesome and like a bunch of fun but as noob I am very hesitant to even try... :?

I'll wait for more SP content to come out and then try my luck when I actually know how to even properly control my dude. Some controls are hard to... use under fire, I noticed...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline NejStark

• Marshall
  • Renown: 918
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
    • Personal wesbite
  • Game nicks: GK_NejStark, Anything with "Nej" in it.
  • IRC nick: itsnej
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2013, 06:02:58 pm »
What Vibe describes sounds really awesome and like a bunch of fun but as noob I am very hesitant to even try... :?

I'll wait for more SP content to come out and then try my luck when I actually know how to even properly control my dude. Some controls are hard to... use under fire, I noticed...

Don;t worry about it man. The only thing to do is keep playing. Even the best players can die in one shot if somebody has the drop on them, and theres no gloating if a player gets killed a lot. You'll get the hang of the control after a while. Also if you have an interest in playing Dayz when the standalone is released It is defo a good idea to get familiar in arma first.
"A man on the steppe with no friends is as narrow as a finger; a man with friends is as wide as the steppe"

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »
Yeah just keep playing and the controls will soon be just muscle memory. It's really easy to control once you get used to it.

Offline NejStark

• Marshall
  • Renown: 918
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
    • Personal wesbite
  • Game nicks: GK_NejStark, Anything with "Nej" in it.
  • IRC nick: itsnej
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2013, 08:09:51 pm »
I had trouble going from 2 to 3 and now I've got it down as Vibe says.
"A man on the steppe with no friends is as narrow as a finger; a man with friends is as wide as the steppe"

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2013, 11:29:06 am »
Also waiting for this sexy mod to come out, because the stock effects are quite bad

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2013, 01:41:53 pm »
+1
Also waiting for this sexy mod to come out, because the stock effects are quite bad

i prefer this but it depends on the situations...

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2013, 12:45:56 am »